2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ford escape AWD titanium
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I finished changing the fluid in my PTU or power transfer unit It says to be done every 50,000 which I should be only a couple thousand miles early but it was nasty and there was a decent amount of sludge on the magnet no huge metal shavings but decent amount of sludge which is I assume a bunch of little metal shavings. So anyways just thought I'd share what I did a few pictures there's a really good video online if you just Google 2013 Ford escape PTU fluid change though I just followed that. There's a drain plug and a fill plug but you do have to move that one big inner cooler pipe on the bottom and that's probably the hardest part just because of the two bolts that hold up the pipe. I just followed what the guy used in the video I think it was like 80/145 mobile one it's in the video and you just fill it up till it starts overflowing I use an old ear wash syringe should be able to pick them up at most pharmacies and I went to AutoZone and I can't remember the pipe but it was just a small vacuum pipe and that went right on the nipple of the earwax syringe and I was able to suck up the gear oil and then spray it in to fill it up because there's no way to easily get in there to just pour it in so I would suggest using some kind of a fluid syringe and that's what they do in the video too. but it was pretty easy probably an hour tops just cuz it was the first time I've done it and it's super hot cuz I'm in Arizona. Again I'm not doing a real guide on here because the video does it perfectly just a couple of pictures because he doesn't really go over moving the intercooler pipe but pretty much anyone can do it you will need to put your car up on ramps unless you're super tiny and you basically just need a ratchet 10 mm and then I even had to buy this a torx 50 That's what the fill plug bolts are of course they can use a normal metric size but it works and I highly suggest doing this this is only for all-wheel drive vehicles by the way because as they send a video there's no maintenance items on this if it goes you got to replace the whole thing and mine was nasty and I even changed the fluid about 5,000 mi early so I would suggest doing it before the Ford service interval and do not miss it. And I went ahead and took a pic of the oil I used and the torx 50 bit you need to remove the plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Ford escape AWD titanium
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also did my transmission fluid but it looks like there's plenty of posts about that so I'm not going to do anything on it and again there's a wonderful video there's a couple of them but there was actually none for the all-wheel drive transmission but the only difference I could find was the fluid check plug was on the other side of the axle but it was super easy drain plug's on the bottom fill plug's on the top of the engine kind of under a coolant hose by the air intake nothing crazy. I'll also be doing my rear differential later too if there's not enough threads about it I'll post new thread if not I'll just add it to this

Reactions: Tall Timbers
1 - 2 of 2 Posts