2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts
I have the 2017 Escape Titanium with the SS. I try to turn off the AC every time I kill the engine and try to remember when I start the car and turn on the air to KILL the SS. Yes, my $217 new AGM battery was more expensive, and the original battery lasted only 3+ years) but Ford's degenerative charging will not allow the alternator to fully charge the battery (to save fuel they say) even on 300-400 mile trips. So I have the privilege of putting a battery charger on it every few days or it will drop eventually below the 12.4 volts it gets to (60% charged according to charts and % based on volts) down to less than 12v (under 50%) or the engine will jerk and shake until I coast a bit and let it get up TO that 60%. That jerking and shaking cuts fuel mpg down to about 17-18 from 32. And just today the SS caused my wife to be stopped at a light, engine died, she couldn't get it started with cars behind her honking and then going around. Wonderful!! Not a fan at all of the "progressive" engineering as I have to drive my V-8 18 mpg full size 16 year old vehicle with a quarter milliion miles on it if I want to drive something reliable. (and I carry an extra fully charged battery and jumper cables also in the Escape). But hey, I've only had to be towed once with the Escape (so that compares favorably with ZERO in all my other cars in 60 plus years of driving. Tunnel vision is alive and well.
Depending on the climate where you live, more than 3 years for a battery is considered about normal. At least it is here in Texas with the summer heat.

Depending on the climate where you live, more than 3 years for a battery is considered about normal.
I live in Texas and have never had to replace a battery at 3 years, even the cheap ones for $30 bought several years ago. have two 4 yr old fifty dollar Walmart batteries in my old pickup and suburban.

Since we both live in Texas and have different battery experiences, the only thing that I can think of that might explain those differences would be age of vehicles. The newer vehicles have many more computers and electric loads than older vehicles. If that is not it, the only other factor would be amount and type of miles driven. Other than that, I am at a loss to explain.

Since we both live in Texas and have different battery experiences, the only thing that I can think of that might explain those differences would be age of vehicles. The newer vehicles have many more computers and electric loads than older vehicles. If that is not it, the only other factor would be amount and type of miles driven. Other than that, I am at a loss to explain.
I just read on this or another topic about resetting the BMS making a difference in how much the battery gets charged, i.e. what % it charges to. I did the ForScan reset but I'm not sure if I did it with the new AGM battery fully charged. It was at 60% or slightly less when i bought it, about 9 months after the date on the battery. I don't know if that would then make the BMS cause to only charge to 60%, so think I'll charge it to full charge and then reset the BMS. I've tried everything else twice.

I just read on this or another topic about resetting the BMS making a difference in how much the battery gets charged, i.e. what % it charges to. I did the ForScan reset but I'm not sure if I did it with the new AGM battery fully charged. It was at 60% or slightly less when i bought it, about 9 months after the date on the battery. I don't know if that would then make the BMS cause to only charge to 60%, so think I'll charge it to full charge and then reset the BMS. I've tried everything else twice.
It is possible. The way I understand the charging system works is the BCM contains an algorithm that is designed to sense the age of the battery and charge it accordingly depending on how old it determines the battery to be. Since the system is unable to tell whether the battery is brand new or say 4 years old that information must be input manually. The way that is done is through the BMS reset. So if one puts in a new battery but does not reset the BMS the system tells to change the new battery the same as if it is 4 years old. Check threads on this board and the WSM for more info.

My only hope here, since I did reset the BMS with ForScan when I replaced the battery a month ago is that since the charge was so low with the new battery having just sat on the shelf for 8-9 months that I may not have charged it to full capacity and the BMS is just keeping it at 12.4 volts because that’s what it was charged to when I installed it. I know I put a charger on it at the time, but I’m not sure if I reset the BMS before or after charging. I charged it to full capacity today and just now did the BMS reset w/ ForScan. We’ll see!

My only hope here, since I did reset the BMS with ForScan when I replaced the battery a month ago is that since the charge was so low with the new battery having just sat on the shelf for 8-9 months that I may not have charged it to full capacity and the BMS is just keeping it at 12.4 volts because that’s what it was charged to when I installed it. I know I put a charger on it at the time, but I’m not sure if I reset the BMS before or after charging. I charged it to full capacity today and just now did the BMS reset w/ ForScan. We’ll see!
I do not believe a few days or weeks will make much difference. One way to check if BMS is reset is to bring up “days in service” parameter on BCM. On a reset, it should show 0 days. For a battery three years old it will show 1,095 days.

That seems to make sense. If it is a reasonably new battery and you charged it fully and then reset the BMS it should reset the usage days back to zero as I doubt the BMS system could distinguish between a brand new fully charged battery and one (yours) that is only 8 or 9 months old but now fully charged.

That seems to make sense. If it is a reasonably new battery and you charged it fully and then reset the BMS it should reset the usage days back to zero as I doubt the BMS system could distinguish between a brand new fully charged battery and one (yours) that is only 8 or 9 months old but now fully charged.
Epic Fail. I charged the battery to over 12.9 volts (which was where it was the last I checked before the charger went another hour or 2 an showed it was fully charged.) I reset the BMS and 8 hours later yesterday morning I checked the voltage and it was 12.4, which is about where it is every other morning even when it starts out at night close to that. Didn't drive it at all yesterday, didn't check volts this morning, and the engine missed badly consistently all the way into town (2 miles). And I think we've hijacked a discussion about the stop start. If I ever get it solved I'll let you know,

Hi all,
I am having an issue with the radio, when I use the auto stop start and when car is off, once I release the break the engine restarts but the audio/CD/bluetooth will turn off for an instant then comes back on. I read about that on this page:
But they couln´t solve it. I have replaced the battery, restarted the BMS. I have measured the voltage and it drops to 9.5 up to 11.3 when restarting, that is the reason why the radio shuts down.
Any ideas?
TIA
Fernando

81 - 90 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.