2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused on what amount of PSI I should set my tires to at the gas station. Attached is a picture of the guide.

My tires are that in the first row of the picture; 235/55R17

If I have 5 people in the car and some amount of groceries and strollers in the back, should I set:
  • the front tires to 35psi? I currently have it set to 34
  • the back tires to 41psi? I can't seem to believe it to be this high. I currently have it set to 34

note; when I had my tires replaced about six month ago the workshop used nitrogen to fill the tires but I didn't want to continue with that and put normal air instead. This is the first time I added air since the change to nitrogen because the TPM warning appeared. the front tires were found to be only 27psi and the machine pumped air to bring it to 34.

Pardon my lack of vehicle know-how in advance. 馃槵

Attachments

Registered
You're the same person who worried that running your air conditioner would wear it out prematurely.

I run 35 all around and I don't think I've ever looked at the door sticker. I wouldn't ever do anything else.

As for the concern about nitrogen, I'll pass on that one. That's just too easy.

Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
If I have 5 people in the car and some amount of groceries and strollers in the back, should I set:
It's not how many people you have in the vehicle but the combined weight of said occupants. If the combined weight brings you towards the max load carrying capacity of the vehicle I'd personally add some air to the tires over what it says in the door jamb.

Reactions: wiz043

Registered
I only have 2 people in the car 90% of the time and I inflate all tires to around 34psi which is 1psi more than on the sticker and I appear to get even wear.
I would imagine the recommended pressures on the sticker are close to the mark for extra passengers @Capslock and I would be inclined to follow that in your case.

Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
If you follow the recommended pressures you can't really go wrong. In your case- with 5 people and some luggage- it would tend to suggest you should run the higher pressure in the rear. You're always better off running higher pressures than too low. High loads with low pressures can (worst case) result in a tyre failing from overheating if you're doing a long trip.

I ran those pressures on an interstate trip when the vehicle was loaded with luggage, 3 people and a dog.

Reactions: Tall Timbers

Registered
First, the ONLY thing you need to worry about is inflating your tires to the pressure shown on the sticker inside your drivers side door. Nothing else. Inflate to this pressure when the tires are COLD - ambient temperature, not in the sun, not driven more than 1 mile. Do this first thing in the morning after the vehicle has been sitting overnight. Once set, you can probably ignore the tires for weeks.
Second, nitrogen in passenger tires is a scam. Useful for PROFESSIONAL racers and airplanes. There is zero benefit for you maintaining 100% nitrogen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts