2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ford escape AWD titanium
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had this going on for I don't know about a month I'm not sure when it started I only noticed it if I have the windows down and I have like a concrete barrier or something that the sound can echo off of but there's a rattle and I'm pretty positive it's right about under my feet. driver side pedal area but you can tell it's like under the car, or at least that's what it sounds like but the weird thing is it only happens when I let off the gas if I press the gas it stops immediately and it also doesn't seem to happen at lower speeds although I haven't figured out exact speed parameters or range I was debating whether it was a heat shield rattle although I haven't noticed any Loose Shields as best I can see or if there's any rocks or anything in there rattling around. or could it possibly be the exhaust cooling off after I let off the gas but I mean it happens even when I was just barely hitting the gas so I doubt that's it but you know sometimes you get that tinking noise as metal cools but again I doubt it's that since. I looked up rattles but I didn't see anything that was exactly like this but it did seem like in other forms there were quite a few EcoBoost that had something fairly similar but I never saw a solution or what the cause was. Does anyone definitively know or has anyone had this something similar happened and found out what the cause or solution was if you want to offer suggestions that's fine too but please only give a solution if you're sure or like you had some similar happen and you had a solution to work for you I'd love to know about any of those.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sounds like it could be either a cv joint or half shaft/h.s. seal-any leaks?. When you back off the gas, the axles are now turning the rest of the drive train and the load on them is different than when you are under power. It could also be in the PDU (power distribution unit: think "transfer case") for the same reasons, although I would think the noise would be more right-center, but maybe not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It actually read about that whenever I was looking for solutions and I never thought about that thanks I guess I'll have to look at those I've never really done much with transmissions and stuff I don't suppose you could tell me exactly what I'm looking for

·
Registered
325 Posts
It actually read about that whenever I was looking for solutions and I never thought about that thanks I guess I'll have to look at those I've never really done much with transmissions and stuff I don't suppose you could tell me exactly what I'm looking for
Sorry I can't be of more help- once I get to the flywheel, my knowledge ends!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah same here but I looked it up online there's actually a really good video of a guy changing out one of the CV axles on the front passenger side on a 14 escape. but I did the test I drove in tight circles lock to lock both ways there was no noise vibration nothing I took the driver front tire off and the play or slop in the CV axle was less than 1/8 of an inch turning in pushing and pulling so I'm starting to wonder if it's not the CV axle I also checked the the boots were it perfect condition no tears nothing even seemed like it was degrading or anything I did find on the heat shield in about the middle of the vehicle one little bit had gotten pushed up against the body so I bent that out and I'm not sure it almost seems like it made a tiny difference so now I am thinking it might be a heat shield I'm going to do some more bending I wanted to drive it on my regular driving speeds first and the rattle is definitely still there so I'm going to bend it all the way out of the way so there's no way that it's touching the body or anything and see if that makes a difference but I'm almost counting the cV join out or I guess I should check all of them maybe I'm just not hearing it from the right one but that's the now

·
Registered
106 Posts
Something else to consider; you might want to have your turbo checked. The blow off valves can sometimes develop issues where they have too much play, and when you let off the gas, you get little rattle noise.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I checkeda bit back after the noise started but for other reason but it's working perfect diaphragm and all is good. Had some stuff going on but I'm gonna check I think I just have the wrong CV axle it's probably coming from another

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Well I officially checked every CV axle dust boot and they are all in perfect condition So back to not having not a clue what's going on although if it matters it doesn't seem like it makes a rattle sound until I'm going at least 30 miles an hour and I have to be letting off the gas or just cruising not on the gas even the tiniest bit of gas makes it go away and I did do the thing where you turn the wheels lock to lock and there was no noises or anything shaft play was good it's super weird. So I'll hopefully have time this weekend to go down the exhaust and see if it's something in there

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At this point I'm thinking it's something with the transmission so I hate working on transmission so we'll probably just drive it till something let's go and then go to a junkyard and grab a used tranny throw it on and keep going

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
895 Posts
At this point I'm thinking it's something with the transmission so I hate working on transmission so we'll probably just drive it till something let's go and then go to a junkyard and grab a used tranny throw it on and keep going
You weren't driving too close to the car in front were you? Your Ford may have caught the coronavirus...:sick:.

We are bunkered down to such an extent in Oz now you need to have an excuse such as doctor, pharmacy or supermarket visit if you are caught outside otherwise you can be heavily fined. :cry:.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then come Down to AZ where we are still going to salons and playing golf

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah we're ridiculous we don't mind closing down schools and parks but God forbid we can't go play golf or get our nails done

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So pretty positive it's the way skate actuator I'll be starting a new thread about it I'm out camping of course but luckily I'm almost past the mountains boost is pretty sporadic sometimes it's low sometimes it's fine but I'm almost out of the mountains I have a car to borrow when I get back but looks like no fireworks for me even though I wouldn't shoot them cuz it's too dry in Arizona So hopefully I'll be able to do a good ride up for y'all for replacing the wastegate actuator It's too bad I don't have money right now to just replace the whole turbo with a bigger one

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had a small rock that got in between the catalytic converter and bottom mesh heat shield on the converter on my '87 VW GTI 16v that was rattling and driving me crazy. Took a while to figure out what was making the rattle. Had to make one of the holes on the shield a little larger to get it out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I've checked the whole exhaust the heat shield It's none of that It's it's the wastegate. I even got the low boost error code this weekend when I went up north the p0299 and I can hear the noise is coming from that area and it's it's 99.9% positive the wastegate. I took off the first brace now I'm trying to get the next two off but these two little braces before I can get to what looks like the whole god dang subframe but there's these two 21 mm bolts that I cannot get off and I have a decent size pretty powerful air compressor with a 750 ft/lb impact wrench and these b** aren't coming off and I'm getting flashbacks to my god dang Honda crank bolt problems on my Acura that I had before it took me three freaking days to get that thing off and now there's two of them and I know it's the sub frame but I just don't understand why they have to put these dang bolts on so freaking tight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh and I've already busted one ratchet

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No I tried using my half inch breaker bar but my 21 mm socket is still 3/8 so I had to use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter and it broke the f** adapter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts