2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is any reason NOT to put stuff back under the rear cargo floor by the battery? I would not put any metal objects there. We are going on a trip and could use the room.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since it’s agm, probably not. A standard lead acid battery will offgas corrosive vapors when it charges. If you’ve seen a corroded battery terminal you’ll get the idea. I’d put something like a first aid kit and disposable gloves for emergencies in there.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
23 Posts
Since it’s agm, probably not. A standard lead acid battery will offgas corrosive vapors when it charges. If you’ve seen a corroded battery terminal you’ll get the idea. I’d put something like a first aid kit and disposable gloves for emergencies in there.
My 2021 PHEV built less than two months ago came with a lead acid battery under the cargo floor not an AGM.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE, Oxford White
21 Posts
If it's a 2020, it's Lead Acid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ditto for my August build.
Same for my 2021 PHEV build in September. This lead battery is contrary to the higher quality battery listed for all 2021 Escapes in the Owner's Manual. Must been of those "Covid" substitutions due to supply issues. So far no issues with anything relative to the 12V battery (or anything else).

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,576 Posts
Well first of all there's a battery vent pipe that vents the battery gasses to the outside.
You can put things there, it just depends on what they are and what they are made off, I've got pack with mylar e-blankets, a couple of disposable ponchos, cheap work gloves and a high vis safety vest stored by mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know if there is any reason NOT to put stuff back under the rear cargo floor by the battery? I would not put any metal objects there. We are going on a trip and could use the room.

Thanks!
I have a 2020 sport hybrid, and I keep jumper cables there. I figure if the spare tire covers the battery it should be safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There seems to be some battery confusion here. An AGM is a lead acid battery, but it is a special type called SLA (sealed lead acid) that does not outgas and requires no service.. it is sealed and can be in any position without concern of spillage, etc. Here, from autobatteries.com: "AGM or Absorbent Glass Mat is an advanced lead-acid battery that provides superior power to support the higher electrical demands of today's vehicles and start-stop applications. AGM batteries are extremely resistant to vibration, are totally sealed, nonspillable and maintenance-free. " So I'd think as long as nothing is going to short to terminals, no issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts