2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone bought one of these or something similar for their Escape and, if so, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine arrived warped, hah, a metal sheet rolled into a log. Seller said it's the only way they could ship it. It never stuck securely to the bumper. Wasted money.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
If subject to actual 'use' they soon show scratches that look worse than the bumper IMO / IME.

I was happier with rubber stair-tread material, cut to fit and glued with contact cement (all found at home improvement stores). Also used it for matching full-coverage door-sill protection. Not flashy but functional.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Mine arrived warped, hah, a metal sheet rolled into a log. Seller said it's the only way they could ship it. It never stuck securely to the bumper. Wasted money.
Thanks for the honest rating. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If subject to actual 'use' they soon show scratches that look worse than the bumper IMO / IME.

I was happier with rubber stair-tread material, cut to fit and glued with contact cement (all found at home improvement stores). Also used it for matching full-coverage door-sill protection. Not flashy but functional.

YMMV
Yeah, in my case it is just cosmetic to hide scuffs from the previous owner/dealer and it's unlikely that it will get scratched.
I have ordered the item but specified that if they roll it up to ship it I don't want it and it will be returned..:p

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd still love to find one that's not glaringly cheap looking or doesn't look like it just doesn't belong there. I also want it to not be the kind that comes rolled up and lifts on the first fluctuation of temp. It seems to be more difficult than it should be. Ford doesn't have any such thing on their accessories site, and though I haven't had a chance to check anywhere other than amazon and maybe a couple items on ebay, there has to be something!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I recently received the one I described in my first post to start this thread. It also suits your Escape @Wolfie_85 apparently.
It was rolled up in a pack around 1 foot diameter which concerned me but when I unpacked it it sprung out flat with no damage.
I installed it a few weeks ago and so far it has not detached and certainly does not look cheap and blends in fine with the rest of the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It'll be fun! You'll get to influence what I spend money on!

There are a couple of things I want to add to my Escape, both for practical and frivolous reasons. There are aftermarket versions available that don't look bad, too.

I want to add sill scuff plates, because it's a pain to keep other people from scratching the paint up by dragging their feet over it. Mind you, I don't yell or anything...yet.

Ford has two options from their accessories site for the scuff plates.
Illuminated

And Non-Illuminated

And we have Amazon's Option.

The prices? Well, Ford wants $95 for their non-illuminated version, $195 for the light up ones. Amazon wants $31.00. Should I be cheap? That often never works, but is tempting.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would go with the Ford Illuminated, I have actually been eyeing up a set of those myself. I have a set of home brewed light up ones on my Harley truck and love the look. DSCN0500.JPG

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would go with the Ford Illuminated, I have actually been eyeing up a set of those myself. I have a set of home brewed light up ones on my Harley truck and love the look. View attachment 76064
Those are sweet! I do love the look, but I wanna find some that aren't almost $200, and I want a 4 piece set. Because I love wiring projects, I guess?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It'll be fun! You'll get to influence what I spend money on!

There are a couple of things I want to add to my Escape, both for practical and frivolous reasons. There are aftermarket versions available that don't look bad, too.

I want to add sill scuff plates, because it's a pain to keep other people from scratching the paint up by dragging their feet over it. Mind you, I don't yell or anything...yet.

Ford has two options from their accessories site for the scuff plates.
Illuminated
View attachment 76055
And Non-Illuminated
View attachment 76056

And we have Amazon's Option.
View attachment 76057

The prices? Well, Ford wants $95 for their non-illuminated version, $195 for the light up ones. Amazon wants $31.00. Should I be cheap? That often never works, but is tempting.
I've had the $31 Amazon scuff plates on my Escape for 2 yrs and they are holding up fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So, I found a rear bumper protector that wasn't delivered packaged like a fruit roll-up.
20200203_005849_HDR.jpg

It was on ebay for $31. I wish it went all the way to the edge under the weather strip and all the way to the outer edges. Otherwise, it fits well enough, and should preserve the plastic bumper. Next is the scuff plates! I haven't made my mind up yet on those. Still like the lighted ones, but my practical side is cringing because the ones from Ford are just 2 pieces for the front. The knockoffs have 4, but the font is better matched to the 2nd gen Escape badging.

If I rebadged the whole thing as a Kuga, I'd have accessories galore. :oops:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I installed the illuminated plates on my 17, they're beautiful.I bought mine online I'm thinking around 170 shipped at the time. Sort of an involved installation process. I believe there may be some install videos online. The worst part for me was getting the cable from the driver side to passenger side where the electrical hookup is done.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So, I found a rear bumper protector that wasn't delivered packaged like a fruit roll-up. View attachment 76262

It was on ebay for $31. I wish it went all the way to the edge under the weather strip and all the way to the outer edges. Otherwise, it fits well enough, and should preserve the plastic bumper. Next is the scuff plates! I haven't made my mind up yet on those. Still like the lighted ones, but my practical side is cringing because the ones from Ford are just 2 pieces for the front. The knockoffs have 4, but the font is better matched to the 2nd gen Escape badging.

If I rebadged the whole thing as a Kuga, I'd have accessories galore. :oops:
Mine goes all the way to the weather strip and almost all the way to the outer edge as per my photo earlier here #7.
It was delivered rolled up but sprung out flat when unwrapped with no damage.
I started this thread about bumper scuff plates but somehow most replies have been about door sil scuff plates... :p

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
I started this thread about bumper scuff plates but somehow most replies have been about door sil scuff plates... :p
That’s the nature of forums. One person posts off topic, and the rest follow. 😀

1 - 16 of 16 Posts