2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start my 2017 Escape I am getting a black screen that states look around etc. Then I get a message on the screen that states the backup camera is unavailable. I can put the car in park or drive and then reverse but the unavailable message still shows up. After driving for a time, and coming to a stop, when shifting into reverse the camera is ok and shows what is behind me. Does anyone else have or had this problem?

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
Obvious something is not working right, and since you have a 2017 I would take it in to the dealer for a warranty repair.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah, a trip to the dealer is probably in order, as much as it sucks to have to probably leave it for a few days. I've never had that issue with my backup camera.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is a factory camera? Or possibly a dealer-installed setup using lockpick? If the latter, I can help you fix it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The camera is factory installed and the unavailable message only happens occasionally and never after the vehicle has been driven for a few minutes. Almost like it has to warm up! Always garage parked by the way!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys!

I got myself a new one with the same problem.
Did you get the rear camera fixed? And what was the solution?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
back up camera not available message

More often than I would like when I first start the car and back out of the garage I look at the screen on my Titanium 2.0 AWD 17 escape and receive the above message. after driving awhile and parking the car when I start u and put the car in reverse the camera is working fine and usually does the rest of the day whenever I use reverse.
Any one else have this happen?

·
Registered
725 Posts
More often than I would like when I first start the car and back out of the garage I look at the screen on my Titanium 2.0 AWD 17 escape and receive the above message. after driving awhile and parking the car when I start u and put the car in reverse the camera is working fine and usually does the rest of the day whenever I use reverse.
Any one else have this happen?
Since it sounds like most likely the issue will not occur when you take it to the dealer for them to see the problem in person, I suggest you take a short video of the entire thing from starting up the vehicle to when it finally disappears (include what you do to finally have it work again). A picture might do but if you can get a video that might help a bit more.

Reactions: MoneyPit1946

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Good idea for taking a picture. I will be taking it to the dealer also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The backup camera on our 2014 Escape will at times cut out. I shift into reverse and the camera works but sometimes the picture goes away, the screen goes black and I get an error message that says something to the effect of "Backup camera not available, please contact your dealer"

I've looked at the wiring and haven't found a bad or loose connection but have noticed that sometimes if I wiggle the shifter the picture will come back so I think this has something to do with a contact or something with the shifter when in reverse. Any suggestions are appreciated. I may just have to have the Ford dealer look at it.

This is the first Escape we have owned. I've owned many Jeep Cherokees over the years and can fix just about anything on them in my sleep but this is a completely new animal to me. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Geno
Did you take your Escape to dealer? If so, was the problem solved?
Mine is 2017 Titanium. The rear view camera has the same issue at winter when temperature lower than 30 degrees. I brought the vehicle to dealer, but dealer could not find any problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2014 Ford Escape Backup Camera diagnostics...?

I have been all over the fordescape.org forums looking for helpful info on this topic, but so many users seem to disappear after they get what they want, then they don't post a follow up to say if it helped or not!
So, if anyone has experience with this problem, please reply!

My 2014 FE Titanium (Mfr. date 11/13) has been having the "backup camera unavailable" message with increasing frequency. I checked the fuse in the back right panel (f29, I think?), disconnected the camera and cleaned the connectors, even pulled all the fuses in the rear fusebox and reinserted. I have done SYNC master reset twice, cleared all the trouble codes, power cycled the battery.... what else???

Right now, it is still recovering from the reset and power cycle, the camera comes on clear and steady for a minute or two, then goes black, then comes back clear and strong. I dare not hope that after driving it for a while the problem will just go away....

Also: The Codes I cleared were:
C1001-01
B1215-00
B1088-86
U0264-87
C3FE1

If any of you are diagnostics savvy enough - do these codes make you think the camera is at fault, or one of the Control Modules???

I am looking at buying a used OEM camera on ebay, with the exact part number and a warranty for around $100. I cant bring myself to gamble $300 on a new one from Ford! Maybe once I pinpoint the problem, but not yet.

Another question right now is "Will I need reprogramming after I replace the part?" I think the service manual is telling me that late 2013 production models need programming after the part is replaced...

Any advice I will greatly appreciate!

Thanks for your help,

Robob in Snellville, GA

Reactions: Angelina

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Escape Backup camera image not available

Mine is a 2017 Escape. The backup camera only has issue when temperature is below 27 degree. Dealer could not help me because the camera worked well every time I went to dealer. I assume that the issue was related to the car temperature. So I did a set of experiments last week (5th week of Jan 2019, temperature was -20 F). I warm up the vehicle for 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes. The result of the experiments showed that as long as I warmed up the car for around 20 minutes, the camera worked very well even the surrounding temperature was as low as -20 F. But if I didn't warm up the car, or just warmed up the car for less than 15 minutes, the camera didn't work. My solution is to warm up the car in the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI. I had this issue with my old 2011 Explorer. Camera would work about 20% of the time, and the rest of the time would show the message from the OP. Had it in the dealer twice and they claimed to have "fixed" it be doing a hard reset of MFT, but the issue always returned. Occasionally I'd reset MFT myself and fix it for a short time (like, a day), but it never stuck. Got rid of the Explorer a year ago, and never did get the issue successfully fixed.

Didn't seem to have anything to do with weather, warm or cold car, or any identifiable variable. It just only worked 20% of the time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have been all over the fordescape.org forums looking for helpful info on this topic, but so many users seem to disappear after they get what they want, then they don't post a follow up to say if it helped or not!
So, if anyone has experience with this problem, please reply!

My 2014 FE Titanium (Mfr. date 11/13) has been having the "backup camera unavailable" message with increasing frequency. I checked the fuse in the back right panel (f29, I think?), disconnected the camera and cleaned the connectors, even pulled all the fuses in the rear fusebox and reinserted. I have done SYNC master reset twice, cleared all the trouble codes, power cycled the battery.... what else???

Right now, it is still recovering from the reset and power cycle, the camera comes on clear and steady for a minute or two, then goes black, then comes back clear and strong. I dare not hope that after driving it for a while the problem will just go away....

Also: The Codes I cleared were:
C1001-01
B1215-00
B1088-86
U0264-87
C3FE1

If any of you are diagnostics savvy enough - do these codes make you think the camera is at fault, or one of the Control Modules???

I am looking at buying a used OEM camera on ebay, with the exact part number and a warranty for around $100. I cant bring myself to gamble $300 on a new one from Ford! Maybe once I pinpoint the problem, but not yet.

Another question right now is "Will I need reprogramming after I replace the part?" I think the service manual is telling me that late 2013 production models need programming after the part is replaced...

Any advice I will greatly appreciate!

Thanks for your help,

Robob in Snellville, GA
I'm guessing it's similar to this:

Looks like you will likely need to replace the camera. I would just do it since it seems likely the problem is with the camera itself. The camera isn't a programmable module so you should be fine just replacing it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The backup camera on our 2014 Escape will at times cut out. I shift into reverse and the camera works but sometimes the picture goes away, the screen goes black and I get an error message that says something to the effect of "Backup camera not available, please contact your dealer"

I've looked at the wiring and haven't found a bad or loose connection but have noticed that sometimes if I wiggle the shifter the picture will come back so I think this has something to do with a contact or something with the shifter when in reverse. Any suggestions are appreciated. I may just have to have the Ford dealer look at it.

This is the first Escape we have owned. I've owned many Jeep Cherokees over the years and can fix just about anything on them in my sleep but this is a completely new animal to me. Any help is appreciated.
Having the same issue on mine. Did you ever get it figured out?

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
My dealer fixed my intermittently failing rear camera by performing TSB 17-2068

Reactions: MoneyPit1946
1 - 20 of 35 Posts