2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to be able to do the rear view camera. About two days ago I went in reverse the screen turned blue and told me it was out of order. Today I put a new fuse in and it worked till I got home and now it's back on screen not available. Should I check my reverse lights or my circuit? Maybe it's something worse.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
I used to be able to do the rear view camera. About two days ago I went in reverse the screen turned blue and told me it was out of order. Today I put a new fuse in and it worked till I got home and now it's back on screen not available. Should I check my reverse lights or my circuit? Maybe it's something worse.
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic. Have a look at the other posts for some possible help. Try searching the forum for more threads on this issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this intermittent problem for about a year. Rear camera would work sometimes, but I'd get the "REAR CAMERA NOT AVAILABLE" message often. Sometimes camera would work at first, then stop working while I'm backing up. I finally got ambitious and removed the inside tailgate cover. Had to remove 2 torx screws under the handle, then pop all the clips. I disconnected the wiring clip in the center of the tailgate, it connects the camera and probably some other stuff. I know I unplugged the correct harness because I had the ignition "on" gear in "R" and watched the camera go blank when I unplugged it. Oddly, it did not come back on when I reconnected it, had to shift out of "R" and back in. I cleaned the connection with some electrical cleaner, and plugged it back in. So far it worked fine all day today. We'll see if it holds out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This isn't just happen on the Ford Escape model; I have a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid and it too experienced the same issue. I went back to Ford back in 2014 to compliant to them but they said they can't reproduce the issue. This is an intermittent problem and I believe there is a class action lawsuit against ford on that. You might want to check on that.

For me since my SYNC is no longer on Ford radar for fixing - I am stuck with a POS system every time I put in reverse.

The camera is factory installed and the unavailable message only happens occasionally and never after the vehicle has been driven for a few minutes. Almost like it has to warm up! Always garage parked by the way!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Skibum. Has it continued to work after your solution to disconnect and reconnect camera? I have had the same issue with my 2014 Escape. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but figured it was a long shot with quite a bit of work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too am curious if the cleaning fix worked. This has been an issue with my 2014 Escape as well. Didn't start until this winter about two months ago and is purely random. Shutting off the car and opening the door sometimes helps. I do know that when the camera is clean the image is crystal clear. I get the usual message that others have gotten. I also don't want to just tear into that area and throw a new camera in without some investigating too. I ahve read where the connectors and wiring can have some corrosion and cleaning them can help. It is a sensitive instrument after all. I have used FORScan to do hard resets and clear the one DTC I had on the camera. The only thing that does seem to help is cleaning or rubbing the lens of the camera. Granted, it may be coincidental, but it works after that 90% of the time which leads me to think that there might be a loose connection but getting to the backside is a PITA. I replaced my reverse lights with LED and anyone that has taken that lift gate trim off can attest to wanting to put a foot in the rear of whoever designed that. Anyhow, I saw this thread and wanted to see what others fixes have been. With the cost of these cameras (even on eBay), it's best to rule out something like a loose connector first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m having an issue with my backup camera on my 2014 Ford Escape SE, and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions.

For the last few months, I’ve noticed that the camera intermittently delayed (3-10 seconds) to turn on when I put the vehicle in reverse. This would only happen sometimes. Last week Friday, I got a message on the screen that said “Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership.”

I ran a scan with my OBD2 Scanner home, I didn’t go through with the FORScan, and it gave me the C1001 – Vision System Camera error. It said “Additional Fault Symptom: General Electrical Failure”

I watched a video on YouTube from a user with the same error, and he said that he was able to fix the problem by replacing the camera. I purchased a replacement camera and installed it, but am unfortunately running into the same issue. I’m thinking it’s more a wiring than a camera issue but here are the things it does:
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park Reverse, the camera comes on most of the time, but the screen goes black after 15 seconds or so. Then will either come back on, or display the “Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership” message
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park to Reverse, the camera displays the “Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership” message
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park to Reverse, then set to Drive, the camera stays on for the duration of the trip
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park to Drive, the camera doesn’t come on (as it should operate normally)
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park to Reverse with the trunk open, the camera has been operating normally
I inspected all the wiring in the trunk and there doesn’t seem to be any rips or tears in the cable. I also put in a new 5A fuse in the “F29 5A Image Processing Module-B (IPM-B), Side Obstacle Detection Control Modules (SOD-L) (SOD-R) Rear parking aid camera” slot, and no success. I’ve also cleaned all the wiring with electrical cleaner.

I’m attaching screenshots of error codes is giving me. I’m not sure if the BdyCM codes at the bottom are because my trunk door was disassembled at the time, but I don’t remember seeing these codes when I ran the test with the door intact.

Was wondering if anyone had anything similar happen to them and what my next move would be. I brought the vehicle into my local Ford Dealership, and they were going to charge me $188 just to pinpoint the problem, so I figured I would ask you all for assistance before I go ahead with that.

Thanks for the help in advanced.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m having an issue with my backup camera on my 2014 Ford Escape SE, and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions.

For the last few months, I’ve noticed that the camera intermittently delayed (3-10 seconds) to turn on when I put the vehicle in reverse. This would only happen sometimes. Last week Friday, I got a message on the screen that said “Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership.”

I ran a scan with my OBD2 Scanner home, I didn’t go through with the FORScan, and it gave me the C1001 – Vision System Camera error. It said “Additional Fault Symptom: General Electrical Failure”

I watched a video on YouTube from a user with the same error, and he said that he was able to fix the problem by replacing the camera. I purchased a replacement camera and installed it, but am unfortunately running into the same issue. I’m thinking it’s more a wiring than a camera issue but here are the things it does:
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park Reverse, the camera comes on most of the time, but the screen goes black after 15 seconds or so. Then will either come back on, or display the “Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership” message
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park to Reverse, the camera displays the “Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership” message
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park to Reverse, then set to Drive, the camera stays on for the duration of the trip
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park to Drive, the camera doesn’t come on (as it should operate normally)
  • When the vehicle is turned on, and goes from Park to Reverse with the trunk open, the camera has been operating normally
I inspected all the wiring in the trunk and there doesn’t seem to be any rips or tears in the cable. I also put in a new 5A fuse in the “F29 5A Image Processing Module-B (IPM-B), Side Obstacle Detection Control Modules (SOD-L) (SOD-R) Rear parking aid camera” slot, and no success. I’ve also cleaned all the wiring with electrical cleaner.

I’m attaching screenshots of error codes is giving me. I’m not sure if the BdyCM codes at the bottom are because my trunk door was disassembled at the time, but I don’t remember seeing these codes when I ran the test with the door intact.

Was wondering if anyone had anything similar happen to them and what my next move would be. I brought the vehicle into my local Ford Dealership, and they were going to charge me $188 just to pinpoint the problem, so I figured I would ask you all for assistance before I go ahead with that.

Thanks for the help in advanced.
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same issue. Have a look at some of the other posts for some possible help

·
Registered
5 Posts
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same issue. Have a look at some of the other posts for some possible help
Hey Vader, thanks. I should've stated that I went through those options with no luck, which is why I started a new one.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
I am running into this issue, do I just specify this code to the dealer?
I don't think this TSB applies to 2014s. I sent you a link via the conversation you started so you can read the TSB for yourself. Best wishes.

Reactions: rahrena8690

·
Registered
5 Posts
EDIT: August 5th, 2020: I purchased a Ford Escape Rear Back Up Camera with the wiring on eBay, and replaced it with the existing wiring and camera, and it seems to be working so far. I tried switching gears, and everything seems to be back where it was, so I am guessing it was a wiring issue. I'm going to monitor it over the coming days and see how goes and report back.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Just curious @Tall Timbers, any idea what a dealer would charge to perform the APIM replacement for TSB 17-2068?
No, mine was done under warranty. When I do have to pay the bill, my dealer charges a hefty Alaska surcharge... Everything is overly expensive up here...

Reactions: rahrena8690
21 - 35 of 35 Posts