2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Ford Escape. For the past few months it has been making a sound from the back wheels when I make turns or back up. This is only noticeable when driving, but that may also be because I am not going fast when making sharp turns. It also pulls and sometimes when backing up almost feels like I hit something. The sound is a thumping that almost reminds me of when something is caught in a bike spoke. It seems like something is almost catching and letting go, or hitting.

I have brought it to my mechanic a few times. At first he replaced the rear brakes, but that was not the problem. At times, I had trouble reproducing the sound. It seems to not always show up when I first start driving and needs the car to warm up a bit. My mechanic thinks it is the transmission or drive train. Does that sound right?
Tom

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
36 Posts
Without more information I will just assume that you have an AWD Escape. This sounds like a rear differential or hopefully just a rear CV joint. The sound probably gets faster as you go faster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, I do have an AWD escape.
I don't hear any noise at all when highway driving. Just street driving. It seems to happen when I make sharp turns, like pulling out of a parking space, u turn, making a turn from one block to the next. My guess is that on the highway I don't turn like that. Because of that, in terms of your question, I don't notice the sound get louder as I go faster.

·
Registered
2018 Escape Titanium 2.0L EcoBoost
1 Posts
What you are describing sounds very similar to something my '18 AWD FE does. I've noticed that it seems to show up more dramatically when I have just done a lot of highway driving (higher speeds, more subtle turns) and then navigate a parking lot (low speeds, much more dramatic turns).
For me it is almost a squeak and feels like the rear brakes don't want to let go for a second.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. For me it is more like a knocking with a pull. It almost feels like the breaks keep catching or if the wheels are hitting against something. . It only happens on sharp turns or going in reverse.

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
36 Posts
I'm still thinking differential. When you are on the highway or going straight the diff isn't doing much because the rear wheels are both going at the same speed. When you are turning the inside and outside wheels are turning at different speeds. The differential is a set of gears that allows the rear wheels to turn at different speeds.
I just had a thought, The traction control uses the brakes to stop a slipping wheel that is slipping and send power to the non slipping wheels. Try turning the traction control off and see if the problem disappears. :unsure:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts