2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Escape, (no "towing package, didn't think about it when we ordered it) for commercial use. I have the back seats and the hatchback area, also full of equipment, probably 200 - 250 lbs worth.

I hadn't noticed it, but I took it to get the transmission oil flushed, oil changed and rotate / balance, and they showed me the inner wear on the tires. I stood back and looked at it, and sure enough, there is a noticable "toe out" of the rear wheels. (not extreme, but you can tell)

Would an adjustment of the "toe in" alignment fix this, or am I going to have to get something to supplement the rear to help carry the weight? The equipment I carry, I have to carry it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
A proper alignment by shop or dealer should fix the issue. You're tire alignment whether it be chamber or toe will never be totally 100% perfect but hopefully it'll be better then before and save your tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the dealer tell me (in passing conversation) that they could only adjust them "to factory specs" but could they need to be toed-in a little more to compensate for the added weight? Do you think the added weight is really a contributing factor?

Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Even with 250 extra pounds on the car I doubt it would cause that much pressure on the suspension that it would toe the car so bad that it would hurt the tires. I mean, my friend my friend is a cable car and his fan has hundreds of pounds of equipment and I have yet to hear him complain about his tires or his company car having too much toe (he's a car guy as well).

Sounds like a lie to me to be truthful. Alignment can be thrown off over time by just driving around and driving over bumpy roads and I suspect that what happened to your car. To say that it'll go back just from the weight of your equipment sounds fishy to me. Personally I would get the alignment and play it out and see what happens. I might even call around and ask for a second opinion on the weight of the car and what it has to do with your alignment.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,879 Posts
I hadn't noticed it, but I took it to get the transmission oil flushed, oil changed and rotate / balance, and they showed me the inner wear on the tires. I stood back and looked at it, and sure enough, there is a noticable "toe out" of the rear wheels. (not extreme, but you can tell)
I think it might be excessive negative camber you're referring to, not toe?

See here Wheel alignment - what is camber, caster and toe? | Wapcar

Toe can be adjusted, the camber is fixed. Ford do sell a replacement arm that reduces the camber by 1 degree, or there are aftermarket arms that are adjustable (eg. check out www.rockauto.com )

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The rear suspension is designed to toe in under compression. so if it is toe-ed out noticeably with a full load something is very off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Camber! Not "toe" Geez, and I knew that too!

The Camber is outward, almost like someone picked up the car and slammed it on the ground. But only the rear two wheels.

So rear Camber is not adjustable? Crap, I guess I'll be looking at those arms then.

I appreciate it, and sorry for using the incorrect terminology, I can see how that would be confusing.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
slight negative camber on its own doesn't cause much wear, but combined with too much toe, can shred the tires.
so adjusting the rear toe to zero may help enough to avoid getting "camber arms".

most of the time people complain about tire wear on this type of suspension its due to too much toe.

·
Super Moderator
2,879 Posts
I've got about 2 degrees negative camber on the rear due to having lowered suspension. I don't do a lot of km/ miles driving so don't notice the effects (12000km in 5 years.) When I had it aligned the guy (who seemed to know what he was doing) said he adjusted to the toe to compensate.

I am thinking about fitting adjustable arms to reduce it a bit. Even the Ford "off the shelf" option which reduces the camber by 1 degree would do the job.

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE, 2.0, 4WD
17 Posts
For what it's worth, 250 pounds of gear in the back isn't much. Same weight as one big guy or a couple of teenagers. I'm gonna guess that bad roads have affected the alignment and caused the tires to wear unevenly.

·
Super Moderator
2,879 Posts
For what it's worth, 250 pounds of gear in the back isn't much.
300kg/ 660 pounds of concrete bags in the cargo area with lowered Eibach springs.

Reactions: SMSFE01

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be more than 250 Lbs. It's a bunch of different things (Railroad related) so I just threw a guess out there on the "250Lbs" But the Camber is noticeably out, and the tires are wearing out on the inside.

My option seems to be to buy aftermarket, adjustable arms? The Ford "1% arms would seem to not really touch it.
Only thing, it has 72,000 miles on her, and is still under the 100,000 mile warranty. Wouldn't want to do anything that may give them a reason to deny a claim later, if necessary.

·
Super Moderator
2,879 Posts
Wouldn't want to do anything that may give them a reason to deny a claim later, if necessary.
Then the Ford 1 degree arms would be your best bet. Have you got any alignment specs that give the actual amount of camber you've got? Stock they have negative camber built in.

PS: I changed to thread title to "Camber" from "Toe" for future reference (if people are using the search function.)

Reactions: SMSFE01

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate that.

I will talk with the dealer soon and see what they recommend. Wearing the tires like it is, I'll be replacing them every year or so at least. And you can see just looking at it that they are bowed out at the bottom.

I appreciate the replies!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts