2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else getting a bunch of messages from their hybrid saying it is shutting down remote features due to low battery?

"Moby'" is the car's 'name' in the app.

Ford dealer says the battery tests out fine!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
All is well here. This is normal if you haven't driven the vehicle in a while, though I wouldn't personally expect to see multiple notifications, especially within a day.

Reactions: playbeasy

·
Registered
531 Posts
No problem...... I drive mine everyday

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't drive every day, but usually and hour round trip each time we do drive. Seems like our battery is right near the threshold to send that message as we are getting it very often.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
We've had ours sit for several days unused and not had this come across. :confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
That message pops up about 10 minutes after I get out of the car....every time. I've started it via the key fob, but still get the message.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That message pops up about 10 minutes after I get out of the car....every time. I've started it via the key fob, but still get the message.
I've gotten it a few times but it's usually after my car has been parked for a few days. If it's happening 10 minutes after you get out of the car I feel like that's not right.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
All is well here. This is normal if you haven't driven the vehicle in a while, though I wouldn't personally expect to see multiple notifications, especially within a day.
What would be the battery SOC that would trigger this event?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've gotten it a few times but it's usually after my car has been parked for a few days. If it's happening 10 minutes after you get out of the car I feel like that's not right.
Agreed, it's not right. HOWEVER, it's only been a nuisance since the "Stay at Home" order. My time in the Escape has been minimal, mostly to the store for food. Maybe I have to take a long, long ride to clear this notification. Also it's been a couple of months since I had to put gas in it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I will say I had mine at the dealership recently and they had to do the powertrain FSA. Following that I came home and within a couple hours I got the same error. The dealership is only 2.someodd miles from my house though and before that the car had mostly been sitting in the garage. Last weekend I took it for a drive that was about an hour each way and after that it's been 4 days now and I haven't seen that message again although I feel like I'm due to see it any moment now. I would definitely try getting it out and letting it stretch its legs a bit, I'm not sure how long you should get out of it but I guess at least 4 or so days is reasonable based on what I've seen so far. I've only had my car for about 3 weeks though.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
16 Posts
Last month I got the message almost every few days. I never got it when I let it sit for a couple days. It was always on days I actually did drive. Haven't had it in a while now and I probably drive less now than ever.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So 2 days ago, I took my hybrid out for a couple of road trips. First about 50 miles which included about 20 miles on the highway. Later that day, drove about 20 miles (two 10 mile trips). So far, no message. Guess I just had to give it some TLC. Bottom line is that those 5 mile trips to the store and back doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This morning I drove 3 miles to the doctor, then back. 30 minutes later I got the message. So overall, went 6 days after the big drive with no messages. Blame it all on low useage due to our stay at home guidelines.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
This morning I drove 3 miles to the doctor, then back. 30 minutes later I got the message. So overall, went 6 days after the big drive with no messages. Blame it all on low useage due to our stay at home guidelines.
I am wondering what this says about the ability of the battery to hold a charge when used for intermittent and short trips? Are you finding that the engine runs more frequently during periods of such use? In other words, will the intermittent and short trip scenario take sways some of the advantages of the hybrid?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Once you get the message, you will not get it again until you start the car and take it out of this lower power state. Then the message can happen again.

Drive it three times in one day, maybe three messages. One after each trip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, the car engine doesn't need to run to charge the 12 volt battery under the spare (if you have a spare).

When the car is on, it charges the low voltage battery from the high voltage battery, which is charged by the engine and regenerative braking. DC to DC charging.

I suspect that ECO mode doesn't charge the 12 volt as much as Normal mode. Charging the battery requires power/energy which decreases mpg.

After running exclusively in ECO mode I think my battery is low and just isn't getting recharged as much. Will start using Normal mode more to see if it changes the number of messages I get.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealer says battery is fine. Charging system fine. No clue about messages.

Blamed the app ( for receiving the message)!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those getting the message, do you use ECO mode? A little? A lot? Exclusively?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started getting the messages when we went on lockdown. It stops for a day or so if i take a long trip 30 miles or so

1 - 20 of 48 Posts