2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with my 2013 Titanium. The remote start will start the vehicle, but after only about 15-30 seconds it shuts off. This all started about 2-3 weeks ago, up to this point it has worked fine.

The only thing I can think of that changed is that one day in this time period, I heard a weird beeping sequence. I thought it was something my daughter had on a tablet, phone, or such. But now I am wondering if it was the car letting me know of some change.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Their options for remote start duration in the multi-function display settings (convenience), but none are that short. It's 5/10/15 minutes if I recall correctly.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I always ask this when someone posts issues with a 2013. Is the original battery still in the vehicle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
14 FE Titanium

I have a 14 FE Titanium that started doing the exact same thing last week. I will activate the remote start and within 30 seconds the car shuts off. I just got the car back from the dealership for an auto windshield wiper issue and told them about the remote start issue. They did a multi point inspections including pulling all error codes which would tell me this issue must not be error code related. Trust if it was they would have been more than happy to charge me to fix it. I have read on the Ford Focus and Explorer sites that others have had the issue and it appears to be battery related. My FE has the original battery and the car has 130K+ miles. I think I will try the replacing the battery and let you know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 14 FE Titanium that started doing the exact same thing last week. I will activate the remote start and within 30 seconds the car shuts off. I just got the car back from the dealership for an auto windshield wiper issue and told them about the remote start issue. They did a multi point inspections including pulling all error codes which would tell me this issue must not be error code related. Trust if it was they would have been more than happy to charge me to fix it. I have read on the Ford Focus and Explorer sites that others have had the issue and it appears to be battery related. My FE has the original battery and the car has 130K+ miles. I think I will try the replacing the battery and let you know.

My battery is relatively new. I guess I could have an alternator issue that isn't charging the battery correctly, and the battery isn't as strong, but I would assume a battery issue would make it hard to start, not an issue with running once started.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Any chance you can do a search, and provide a link to the threads you speak of?

You can search / research yourself by using the forum's Search feature. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can search / research yourself by using the forum's Search feature. ;)

How about this, I will provide links to my searches that have found zero answers to my problem. Then you, the two moderators that seem to have the answer but want to keep it a secret, post a link to the search with the right answer. Deal?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
How about this, I will provide links to my searches that have found zero answers to my problem. Then you, the two moderators that seem to have the answer but want to keep it a secret, post a link to the search with the right answer. Deal?

A good search technique in general is to use very broad terms at 1st, then if you get too much, narrow it down by some of the other words in the broader result, this way you don't rely on every one needing to use the same words that you would.

I searched for: Remote Start
Then I found that most people were using the words "issues" or "not working" in the posts..

·
Super Moderator
5,619 Posts

I also wanted to ask you to get rid of the attitude. All we ask you to do was to try to do a search. You never mentioned before if you tried one or not. You just demanded that we search for you and provide you the links. A better response would have be I did try a search but couldn’t find anything related to my problem. Someone would have been glad to help you out.

The reason I told you to search was because I remember other people posting the same issue you are having. I was also not at my computer to do a search for you.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
No. New battery installed about 4-5 months ago.
OK. Was the battery management system reset?

Could be lots of things. Even if the shifter switch was acting up that could cause it. Or if the car thinks one of your doors is ajar. The most common reason for a vehicle to start, then immediately shut off is engine checking. The system monitor voltage or tachometer signals from your vehicle to know exactly when the vehicle has started. If there is something wrong with one of these signals, or they’ve changed; you may need to re-learn your vehicle’s tachometer signal.

Sorry I can't help, it's just there are a hundred reasons why this might not be working and its difficult to diagnose over the internet.

Have you tried disconnecting your battery to do a system reset?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also wanted to ask you to get rid of the attitude. All we ask you to do was to try to do a search. You never mentioned before if you tried one or not. You just demanded that we search for you and provide you the links. A better response would have be I did try a search but couldn’t find anything related to my problem. Someone would have been glad to help you out.

The reason I told you to search was because I remember other people posting the same issue you are having. I was also not at my computer to do a search for you.

I will be happy to ditch the attitude. But you have to see it from my side too. I posted on a forum, designed to help others. The first response I got was from a moderator suggesting I search the forum (which I have.) I even requested further assistance in the form of keywords to search, directly from the moderator (you I believe.)

Later down the road, with still no solution to my problem, a second moderator chimes in, again, telling me to search.

Here I am still seeking a solution to my problem.

Once I find a solution, I will be happy to share my knowledge with those seeking it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK. Was the battery management system reset?

Could be lots of things. Even if the shifter switch was acting up that could cause it. Or if the car thinks one of your doors is ajar. The most common reason for a vehicle to start, then immediately shut off is engine checking. The system monitor voltage or tachometer signals from your vehicle to know exactly when the vehicle has started. If there is something wrong with one of these signals, or they’ve changed; you may need to re-learn your vehicle’s tachometer signal.

Sorry I can't help, it's just there are a hundred reasons why this might not be working and its difficult to diagnose over the internet.

Have you tried disconnecting your battery to do a system reset?

Sounds like something I need to get the dealer involved. Unless this can be performed in a residential garage. (I can disconnect the battery, although this issue just started, and I replaced the battery months ago, in the winter months.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going to try to bring this thread back to light, I got with a buddy that had Forscan and an OBDII reader, reset the BMS, still no dice.

He said I had a bunch of random codes, all seemed to be electrical related. A random one I can remember right now was something about a rear window position sensor.

Anyone have anything else I can try?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I read the codes last night, and found zero. I'm not sure if when I cleaned the battery terminal connections, I lost them, or if they are only codes visible on Forscan. (Not sure the difference on the MS/HS or what ever it is.)

So I would think I can eliminate battery issues all together. I don't think it is code related since I can't see any codes. I feel like this has to be a simple fix, not something I should have to go to a dealer to fix, but unless anyone has some input, it is off to the dealership I guess.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So that future members can hopefully find this thread with a search, since my searches were fruitless in connecting the dots...

I think I have solved the issue. It involved the negative battery cable, which from what I can find contains the Battery Monitor Sensor right at the post. There is a two pin wire harness that comes off the cable. Due to corrosion on the cable, it had completely fried the 2 pin wire harness. I replaced both the negative battery cable, and the 2 pin harness (Part numbers in the links below.)

I have to admit that I didn't use the connectors provided from Ford on the new wiring harness. They were solder connectors, and I didn't have the capabilities to do that, but had crimp on style handy. So I figure if it fails, I can always do the solder later if it becomes an issue.

Here is link to a thread on this site about it.

Here is a second link on a Focus forum with similar.

The only symptoms that I can find that pointed me to this problem is that the remote start would only run for 15-20 seconds. All other electronics worked as they should.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Remote Start - then stops

Just bought a used 2016 Escape, 2.0L Turbo, Titanium pkg. The remote start seems to need some tweaking. I follow the instructions (lock once, the 2x two times) - the engine starts up just fine but then shuts down after about 10-15 seconds. If I'm in the car and use the regular push button start, the car engine just keeps on running. It only shuts down on remote starts.
Any suggestions???
Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts