2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Ford is worried about overheating, why leave that thick rubber engine cover ..that helps hold heat in the engine..on? Possibly OK for cold winter that the trapped heat warms up the engine..but any other time it makes no sense. With a turbo I removed my Escape's cover after about a week. The small increase in engine noise (fuel injectors) IMO pales in letting the engine get cooler air around the engine/head.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Since Ford is worried about overheating, why leave that thick rubber engine cover ..that helps hold heat in the engine..on? Possibly OK for cold winter that the trapped heat warms up the engine..but any other time it makes no sense. With a turbo I removed my Escape's cover after about a week. The small increase in engine noise (fuel injectors) IMO pales in letting the engine get cooler air around the engine/head.
I can think of at least one reason. That would be to keep battery a tad bit cooler. The main point I have is do you honestly think Ford (or any car company) would go to the extra expense of manufacuring and installing a cost item if it was not necessary? My dad was in the auto industry (long passed) but the one thing he ingrained into me as a teenager is that there is not a penny spent except for a reason.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Cos it looks puuuurrrtyy!

That's really the only reason I can think of and trust me, WE the buyer pay for that cover so, to make more money for the OEM. (to answer 7-11's questions/comment about not a penny spend without reason).

ALL engines these days are about looking aesthetically pleasing. I also tend to think that some of the more complicated covers are to deter the would-be DIYer from touching the engine. If they are afraid of breaking the cover, they don't want to shell out the $ to replace it, so they'll just take it somewhere to pay for service.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Seems the presence / absence of an OE engine cover has varied over time and model / trim / engine ....

My dad was in the auto industry (long passed) but the one thing he ingrained into me as a teenager is that there is not a penny spent except for a reason.
While I agree with the maxim, I'd suggest that the "reason" can vary widely and often has nothing whatsoever to do with necessity or benefit relating to function (heaven knows functionally unnecessary 'form' / aesthetics / market appeal is quite often deemed a reason for the manufacturer to incur a cost with anticipated payback).

IMO in the case of the Escape the 'vanity cover' is primarily just that, with negligible role or impact relating to cooling of the engine or the battery either way. Just one opinion.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Well, it’s part listing is “Engine Appearance Cover”. IMHO it’s sole purpose is to pretty up the engine bay and reduce noise.

But folks can always enlist the plethora of available apps and devices to actually monitor engine temps and compare results with and without the cover.

Please report back here with your findings

·
Registered
285 Posts
They deleted the cover for 2019 models and they're still having engine/coolant issues.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
how would removing it help cooling? by conducting it through the hood?
convection is the most efficient cooling mechanism. All that heat is in the air, and gets blown out under the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The engine cooling/radiator system is what really deals with the internal engine heat. IMHO the beauty cover's effect on engine cooling is negligable. My 19 didn't come with one but I added it because I think it looks purdy. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd be concerned about more noise if you remove the foam rubber pad. It does two jobs as far as I can tell, one is absorb sound and the other to prevent some of the engine heat from reaching other components in the engine bay. It's also I guess thirdly cosmetic.
Just my thoughts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts