2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 Escape and was having issues with the battery so bought a new one to replace. As we know these things are tucked back so I didn't notice the corrosion on the negative cable until I removed the battery. I ordered a used negative cable with BMS from eBay and installed it on Saturday. Since then, the windshield wipers have a mind of their own. Sometimes coming on right away and other times I can be driving around town with no issue and they come on after some time. How they come on always differs. Three fast swipes, or 9, or sometimes they stay on for minutes at a time. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. Does anyone have any insight as to why this may be? I wouldn't think that they could be related but I never had an issue with the wipers before.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,772 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure the two smaller wires / plug to the BMS sensor are okay? Wipers misbehaving seems to be associated with BMS sensor issues. If you fitted a new pigtail plug for the BMS sensor are you sure you wired it the correct way?

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,196 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 Escape and was having issues with the battery so bought a new one to replace. As we know these things are tucked back so I didn't notice the corrosion on the negative cable until I removed the battery. I ordered a used negative cable with BMS from eBay and installed it on Saturday. Since then, the windshield wipers have a mind of their own. Sometimes coming on right away and other times I can be driving around town with no issue and they come on after some time. How they come on always differs. Three fast swipes, or 9, or sometimes they stay on for minutes at a time. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. Does anyone have any insight as to why this may be? I wouldn't think that they could be related but I never had an issue with the wipers before.

Thanks!
Have you reset the BMS, after replacing the battery? Here is a thread that discusses on how to do this. I also moved your thread to tue 3G Engine Discussion sub forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure the two smaller wires / plug to the BMS sensor are okay? Wipers misbehaving seems to be associated with BMS sensor issues. If you fitted a new pigtail plug for the BMS sensor are you sure you wired it the correct way?

Thank you!

I'm not 100% that BMS sensor is okay since I purchase a used one but it appeared to be in great shape. The wires are connected correctly but now I am seeing new info about the reset process which I will be trying next. I'm used to working on cars without computers so this stuff is a learning process.

Thank you for your reply. I have a feeling this forum is going to come in handy once I figure how to navigate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you reset the BMS, after replacing the battery? Here is a thread that discusses on how to do this. I also moved your thread to tue 3G Engine Discussion sub forum.

I was not initially aware of this step as I am used to working on older vehicles that don't need computer resets. I figured just rewiring would do the trick. I stumbled across that information later on and tried a few different ways that people suggested (hit the high beams 5 times and breaks 3 times and wait until the battery icon flashes 3 times) but that didn't work for me. I watched the video on the thread you sent me and it is looking like I need to buy an attachment so I will order that later today and give FORScan a try.

Okay thank you, I need to figure out where to post. I was just happy to find this forum yesterday and try to start figuring out this issue.

I appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm assuming the advertised negative cable p/n was AV6Z 10C679 P. If not, there could be a problem. The BMS sensor is wired through the LIN along with the window wipers to the Body Control Module (BCM). I guess that the BCM is confused in some way and sending commands to the wipers based on bogus data from the BMS sensor. Or, the Ebay part is defective:(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm assuming the advertised negative cable p/n was AV6Z 10C679 P. If not, there could be a problem. The BMS sensor is wired through the LIN along with the window wipers to the Body Control Module (BCM). I guess that the BCM is confused in some way and sending commands to the wipers based on bogus data from the BMS sensor. Or, the Ebay part is defective:(
I matched the cable to what was in my Ford already, luckily the corrosion wasn't covering the writing. It was AV6N 10C679 BF. I was unaware of the BMS reset so I just got the USB adapter to try that and see if it works as per someone else advice. (These computers in cars really throws me off sometimes) I sure hope that fixes it and that the eBay part was not defective o_O we will soon find out!

Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,511 Posts
Usually if the BMS is corroded the pigtail is bad as well and needs to be replaced.
Make sure you pay attention to the wire position as the replacement is not color coded to match what is present in the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Usually if the BMS is corroded the pigtail is bad as well and needs to be replaced.
Make sure you pay attention to the wire position as the replacement is not color coded to match what is present in the car.
You figure they would keep wires color coded. :rolleyes: I did the reset and only time will tell if that was the fix. Sometimes I can drive 30mins before they come on and other times right away. They didn't come on this morning but I only did a 15 min drive. 🤞

Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,511 Posts
Same pigtail gets used on multiple models and Ford doesn't like to keep things the same even on the same year of a Ford/Lincoln chassis family.

·
Registered
2016 Escape SE 1.6L 4WD 17” wheels
13 Posts
Did that reset work for you? Did you use the basic FORscan or the pro version, just wondering? Thanks!

You figure they would keep wires color coded. :rolleyes: I did the reset and only time will tell if that was the fix. Sometimes I can drive 30mins before they come on and other times right away. They didn't come on this morning but I only did a 15 min drive. 🤞

Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same pigtail gets used on multiple models and Ford doesn't like to keep things the same even on the same year of a Ford/Lincoln chassis family.
That makes no sense Ford!

The reset was unsuccessful. Since you mentioned the wires aren't color coded, I'm considering swapping them but don't want to get my wires crossed o_O. The white matched so I figured white with white wire, color with color wire. But this current set up isn't working and the wipers are still coming on at random.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you do me a favor and expand the PSCM module when in the config tab and post a picture of the data please. I need that data. If you need the advance version no worries, don’t get it on my account. But there is a free 2 month trial.

I’ll take a pic of what wire goes where in mine on the battery module, manufactured 12/15 if you need it. Don’t guess!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you do me a favor and expand the PSCM module when in the config tab and post a picture of the data please. I need that data. If you need the advance version no worries, don’t get it on my account. But there is a free 2 month trial.

I’ll take a pic of what wire goes where in mine on the battery module, manufactured 12/15 if you need it. Don’t guess!
Sorry I took forever to reply. Trying to fix this car for my fiance and our schedules have been quite off, so this the 1st day where I got a chance to run outside and give it a look before it's 110 degrees outside.

Is this what your were asking for picture wise?
Font Material property Terrestrial plant Paper Screenshot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry I took forever to reply. Trying to fix this car for my fiance and our schedules have been quite off, so this the 1st day where I got a chance to run outside and give it a look before it's 110 degrees outside.

Is this what your were asking for picture wise?
No, but that's OK. I appreciate it. Do you still need a pic of the wires on the battery module?

·
Registered
584 Posts
You are using an ODBLink EX scan tool so you should not have any problem resetting the BMS with it.
Click on the wrench icon and then on Battery Monitoring Systerm Reset.
Screenshot from my Escape:
Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Software

Then either click on the line or on the Start icon on the bottom and then Ok.
Rectangle Screenshot Font Software Operating system

1 - 20 of 21 Posts