2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Has anyone successfully replaced the head unit in their Escape? I have a 2013 Titainum with the navigation head unit and I'm interested in putting in something a little higher-end in my Escape but with all the stuff that's built-in to the head unit it looks like it might not be possible, at least without disabiling crucial portions of the vehicle.

Also, I found this larger screen which looks pretty cool. Anyone installed one of these?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Your Titanium with Sony Sound is the most deeply integrated and difficult to modify / replace of the SYNC2 infotainment options. As you do research keep in mind that you need to be looking for replacements specifically designed for cars equipped with OEM SYNC2 Sony Sound - your wiring harnesses, interconnects, and other module programming are substantially different from all other infotainment system versions and replacements intended for other systems will almost assuredly not work as intended by the aftermarket vendor.

With any non-Ford ACM / HU at a minimum you'll sacrifice all of the non-entertainment / non-NAV functions along with the associated steering wheel and voice command control. That includes proximity (backup) warning alarms and any park assist alarms you have.

You may find 'no-name' options that claim otherwise …. caveat emptor (IMO the linked item would be in that category). The devil is in the details.

Even IF you manage to pull it off, you may get DTCs relating to the systems disconnected / abandoned / rendered non-functional.

Options proven to be do-able ….

If your interest is better SQ then consider keeping the HU, reprogramming it for 'flat output' (high level or low level), and replacing the Sony amp/DSP and speakers with better components. FYI your OEM HU produces a reasonably clean signal from 20Hz to 20kHz. Done correctly this will preserve all of your OEM controls and non-entertainment features.

If your interest is different HU features (carplay, etc) consider an 'upgrade' to SYNC3 with Ford components (which can also be combined with SQ upgrades). There are both commercial turn-key 'kits' and DIY methods for accomplishing this - google and site search are your friends.

Maybe of interest:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I replaced my 8' MFT with a sync 3 apim coded to my VIN, It is fairly easy to install and was plug and play. The only issue I have now is that 18 months later my navigation periodically stops working. After researching the issue it appears to be an APIM issue. The replacement came from a '16 and they appear to be having issues with that years SYNC 3 APIM . Ill replace it again with a newer model when it completely craps out, until then I can use apple maps for the navigation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts