2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was never a fan of the fake "chrome" trim all over my E. I thought it looked cheap, and took away from the appearance of the car. Last Friday, after picking my car back up from the dealership, I ran by my local vinyl supply place and picked up a roll of matte black vinyl and got to work.

Please excuse some of the crappy cell phone pictures. For the vinyl, I measured the width of a the chrome pieces and then cut with an exacto knife the exact length and width I needed. It took three pieces on each side, three for the front bumper, and a large wide one for the back, which I'll explain more later.

Front trim. This needs to be redone, as my width measurement was slightly off. Still an improvement.

Side trim. Each piece was measured and cut separately. The rear piece, with the severe angle that it moves up along the window, was heated with a hair dryer to give the vinyl some flex and then laid down appropriately.

Side "scuttle." This was removed from the car and then sprayed with Plasti-dip. Four light coats covered everything.

Rear hatch cover. To do this, I cut a template with copy paper over the emblem and then centered it in a large piece of vinyl. I then traced it onto the vinyl with a grease pen and cut this out with scissors. After laying over the cover, I used the hair dryer to get the angles correct and then trimmed all excess.

The wheels. The wheels were removed from the car when I was rotating my tires. I taped off the valve stem and got to Plasti-dipping. It took two cans for all four wheels, with four coats each. I then covered that with two coats of Glossifier to give it more of a satin finish rather than keeping them matte.

I would up having to redo one, as I finished around 4am and put one of the wheels on when the finish was still tacky, so one of the lug nuts stuck and peeled up some of the finish. A couple of them have a few minor areas where I could have done better, but it's not noticeable. The car looks like this now.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Looks good. I like it. Reminds me of the Jeep Altitude versions. If done right, a blacked out vehicle can look nice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've always preferred blacked out vehicles, and since all mine recently have been gray in color, I'm used to that color combo. Plus, the black wheels actually make the E's look like they sit a lot lower.

I know it's a personal preference thing, but I just don't like fake plastic chrome. I think it cheapens the look of an otherwise clean car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks very nice, kudos for the patience!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Great job! I too enjoy less chrome and prefer a more subdued look than what came from the factory. Your front grill and window trim look great. You'll have to let us know how the vinyl overlay over the trim holds up.

I don't think I will go as dark as you did overall, but I really enjoy seeing the progress you're making, keep up the good work!

Other thoughts...the factory plastic chrome front fender faux vents are my biggest pet peeve of this vehicle, they really look cheap IMO. Darkening them as you did was a big improvement. I may go with factory paint on mine (as another member did), or removal all together and fabricate a side signal indicator to replace it if possible. Again though, great job, VERY nice!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other thoughts...the factory plastic chrome front fender faux vents are my biggest pet peeve of this vehicle, they really look cheap IMO. Darkening them as you did was a big improvement. I may go with factory paint on mine (as another member did), or removal all together and fabricate a side signal indicator to replace it if possible. Again though, great job, VERY nice!
Yes, that was a big problem for me as well. I've never liked the non-functional fender vents that came around after Maserati threw them on the Quattroporte and everyone felt like they had to also.

I think body-coloring rather than the chrome would look good as well. I'm just a fan of black. Like my heart.

And I'm sure the vinyl will hold up. I did the same to the fake chrome on my old Mini Cooper, and it held up for the seven years I owned the car with no peeling or issues at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That really works. Great job.

Order some black lug nuts yet?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That really works. Great job.

Order some black lug nuts yet?
Thanks. And yeah, I have some headed my way from Tire Rack. Still the only thing on it that grinds my gears...

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Now you need to tint the front windows a little darker!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Thanks. I've always preferred blacked out vehicles, and since all mine recently have been gray in color, I'm used to that color combo. Plus, the black wheels actually make the E's look like they sit a lot lower.

I know it's a personal preference thing, but I just don't like fake plastic chrome. I think it cheapens the look of an otherwise clean car.
Now you gotta get the black Ford emblems front and rear. :D

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Wow nice! I like it

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now you need to tint the front windows a little darker!
Next week. :D

My buddy owns an Altamere tint shop, and he and I trade services, so I'll be going 25% on the front with their ceramic tint.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What holds the fender vents? looked like double sided tape... I guess you used new one to put em back?
If you pop the hood, you can see on the inside of the fender there are two wide plastic clips holding it onto the car. There isn't actually double sided tape behind them, but a thin rubber gasket so they don't scratch the paint.

Just pop those clips and they fall right out.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you pop the hood, you can see on the inside of the fender there are two wide plastic clips holding it onto the car. There isn't actually double sided tape behind them, but a thin rubber gasket so they don't scratch the paint.

Just pop those clips and they fall right out.
HAHa Wow! Awesome! Will do! Thanks!! Tried my first attempt at plasti dip on them and i peeled it off in the end! Will make it much easier popping them off!! :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I like it and it looks great. I too am not a fan of the fake chrome everywhere. Once we get to our next base, then i'll work on the rest of ours.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts