2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to tap into my reverse light (for rear sensors) is there wire in the tail light area or do I have to tap into the rear bulb in the back door itself?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
From the little information you have provided, there are not wires in the rear BUMPER that you can use. If you want to use the reverse lights as a power source, than you will have to run wires from the lift gate all the way to the rear bumper. Or you can trace the reverse lights wires back to where they live in the body. But they might come from the roof.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I see too, But I could have sworn I saw a video of someone attaching a complete trailer harness in the tail light area, Which would obviously have to include the back up lights?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
That's what I see too, But I could have sworn I saw a video of someone attaching a complete trailer harness in the tail light area, Which would obviously have to include the back up lights?
A 4-pin harness does not include a reverse light circuit. Everything you have posted leads me to believe that you are not familiar with vehicle wiring. There are online resources you can purchase to help you with your endeavors.

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
You can access wiring diagrams for free here http://www.bbbind.com/tsb-wiring-diagrams/ (unless you live outside of the USA - they've blocked my access as of September! :( )

I'm not sure how the trailer wiring harness works, but there is an interface module (IIRC.) I think it uses CAN Bus signals to do the light control rather than simply connecting the trailer in parallel. So there may not be a reverse signal like you require.

(I haven't played around in that area so the above could be totally wrong!)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
there is a product called T-one trailer connector assembly, that plug into the tail light harness to add a 4 pin trailer connector. But as others said, it doesn't use back up lights.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Or you can trace the reverse lights wires back to where they live in the body. But they might come from the roof.
All wiring into the liftgate comes from above the headliner - notice that's the only location with flex-duct between the body and the liftgate.

IMO the best source for finding this sort of thing is the ~$25 Ford WSM subscription. Unlike the free alternatives, with the fully indexed and interactive WSM you simply look at the backup light wiring diagram, see the connectors along the full length of the backup light circuit, click on the hyperlink for any connector before the light itself, and you can then chose to view it's location in the chassis and the pin-assignment/wire colors at that connector. Easy-peasy thanks to hyperlinking in the Genuine Ford WSM.

Bob's yer Uncle - tap what you need at a location more convenient than in the liftgate and avoid the hassle of snaking your new wire through the crowded flex-duct which (IMO) is a PITA.

Trust me, you'll waste more than $25 in aggravation figuring out a solution without the WSM.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
tap what you need at a location more convenient than in the liftgate and avoid the hassle of snaking your new wire through the crowded flex-duct which is a PITA.
I have run wires (rear camera run all the way to APIM) through this location and it’s not that bad. Your assuming that it’s a “PITA” for everybody.

Tapping into the reverse lights in the headliner area and running the wires down to the rear bumper is not that difficult a job. This will save you from having to remove all the interior hatch panels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As far as something like the T-one connector, I would check the Draw-Tite or Reese websites. I've seen many different adapters/connectors you plug inline in your rear lighting system to add a plug for a trailer. Some have a plug wired up for reverse lights on a trailer. A lot of mfg. are putting plugs inline in order to easily add the adapter. Get the right one of those and you won't have to cut and splice the factory wiring to get your reverse light power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts