2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any 2020 owner found crossrails that will clear the sunroof utilizing the existing Ford rack rails?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just to state the obvious, but I'd suspect Ford should sell them themselves. Contact the dealer your buying or bought your Escape from and see what they recommend if you haven't already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to state the obvious, but I'd suspect Ford should sell them themselves. Contact the dealer your buying or bought your Escape from and see what they recommend if you haven't already.
The factory cross-rails will not work with the sunroof. If you select them in the configurator they will get deleted once the sunroof is selected. The clearance is too low.

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
The factory cross-rails will not work with the sunroof. If you select them in the configurator they will get deleted once the sunroof is selected. The clearance is too low.
You could check with some of the aftermarket roof rack companies. Maybe they will have some that will work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
They very well might not work as you say, but it still might be worth trying them anyways if your dealer wouldn't mind ordering in a set. There's a very good chance that there's no fitment issue with the crossbars on a sunroof equipped vehicle; it's just that Ford doesn't want to be responsible for someone dropping something through the sunroof when attempting to put it on the cross rails.

I will say though, I've never seen the two variances of Escapes side by side so I'm just speculating here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been reading my owners manual and they say if you have the pano roof the roof rack load is 0 pounds. They talk about the cross bars interfering with moon roof function. I'm guessing that may be when the glass is tipped up at the rear. They also talk about center of gravity concerns. So the new 2020 zero vs the 45 pound max capacity of the previous gen Escape.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've been reading my owners manual and they say if you have the pano roof the roof rack load is 0 pounds. They talk about the cross bars interfering with moon roof function. I'm guessing that may be when the glass is tipped up at the rear. They also talk about center of gravity concerns. So the new 2020 zero vs the 45 pound max capacity of the previous gen Escape.
Well, that's bad... At least my 19 has some capacity!
Does the 2020 with Moon roof come with roof rails??
I'd turf 'em and go with aftermarket crossbars.
The 2019 tip-up is pathetically small.... Maybe it's more on the Gen 4....
But that almost confirms my theory that center of G is the reason for the lower weight capacity of the 2019 with pano roof.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought the 2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid with the sunroof and rack. It looks like there is a Ford Dealership is selling the Cross Bars on Ebay for $279. I am going to ask my Local Ford Dealership to order a set and see if they work with my SUV. the part number is LJ6Z-7855100-AA . I will report back.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just bought the 2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid with the sunroof and rack. It looks like there is a Ford Dealership is selling the Cross Bars on Ebay for $279. I am going to ask my Local Ford Dealership to order a set and see if they work with my SUV. the part number is LJ6Z-7855100-AA . I will report back.
Why wouldn't they work? Are they not OEM ford crossbars?

Edit: my bad, should of back-read a few posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Frank, I wish you were correct, however, pg 268 and 269 of the 2020 Owners Manual indicate not to use use the costars with a moonroof because of interference with moonroof function, and show maximum recommended load as 0lb with a moonroof and 100ib without.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Poor engineering

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
This would be why you'd have issues with the cross bars:

From 2020 Ford Escape Plymouth NH | Plymouth Ford

The glass doesn't retract into the roof cavity like the earlier generations. There's also not much clearance at the rear between the glass and the new design side rails- which are low profile and sit flush on the roof. Fashion over form again....

Something aftermarket might be available now or in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Poor engineering
A detail but the engineering for the weight is likely correct. It would be a poor design choice. That likely is driven by sales criteria.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will use my cross bars for Surf racks so I guess I wont use the Sunroof when loading boards on the Cross Bars. Ill take a picture once I get them in and order from Ford.I need the racks more than I need the sunroof to work properly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I found these Racks that the seller on Ebay says will fit the 2020 Escape for around $100. What do you think? FIT FOR FORD Edge 2015- Roof Racks Cross Bars Cross Rails Alu. Silver SET 2Pcs | eBay Seems like they are taller and will not hurt the Sunroof from opening.
since the car was completely redesigned for this year, I wouldn’t trust anything on eBay saying it will fit both the previous generation and the new generation. For example, There are a LOT of “cargo shades” on eBay that claim to fit both generations but the new generation cargo shade is vastly different from almost every cargo shade on the market.

just what I’ve observed ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
since the car was completely redesigned for this year, I wouldn’t trust anything on eBay saying it will fit both the previous generation and the new generation. For example, There are a LOT of “cargo shades” on eBay that claim to fit both generations but the new generation cargo shade is vastly different from almost every cargo shade on the market.

just what I’ve observed ...
This is a great point you never know what you get from Ebay!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts