2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2020 has the sun roof and roof rack. The rack is extremely low profile...by that I mean at eye level looking across, I only see roof, not the other rack. I ordered the factory cross bars at the dealer. They disappeared with car for 20 minutes to install them, and then the sales person came back with "the look". The factory crossbars don't fit the escape with the sunroof (?).

The question: I can't believe I'm the only one that has run into this problem. Anyone have specific experience or know of specific aftermarket products that solve this problem?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
I
My 2020 has the sun roof and roof rack. The rack is extremely low profile...by that I mean at eye level looking across, I only see roof, not the other rack. I ordered the factory cross bars at the dealer. They disappeared with car for 20 minutes to install them, and then the sales person came back with "the look". The factory crossbars don't fit the escape with the sunroof (?).

The question: I can't believe I'm the only one that has run into this problem. Anyone have specific experience or know of specific aftermarket products that solve this problem?

Thanks,
Paul
merged your thread with an existing thread on the same topic. A quick search would have found this thread quite easily. So there are people that have noticed this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have never used or cared about a roof rack before buying my 2020 Titanium w/sunroof. However, now I may have cause to need it and there is no roof rack option? What kind of SUV is this? It's a bit ridiculous that the there is no OEM option.

I agree with the previous posts that the roof rails are extremely low profile. The crossbars have to be such that there is significant clearance of the roof glass so that any kind of give/vibration of cargo carried on them, or the crossbars themselves, don't bump the glass.

I'm fine with not opening the sunroof if the crossbars are on. It sounds like we need them to be custom batched by a manufacturer for the 2020 Escape w/ sunroof.

I know there was already caution given about EBay, and the picture shown is not of an Escape, but this option looks promising.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never used or cared about a roof rack before buying my 2020 Titanium w/sunroof. However, now I may have cause to need it and there is no roof rack option? What kind of SUV is this? It's a bit ridiculous that the there is no OEM option.

I agree with the previous posts that the roof rails are extremely low profile. The crossbars have to be such that there is significant clearance of the roof glass so that any kind of give/vibration of cargo carried on them, or the crossbars themselves, don't bump the glass.

I'm fine with not opening the sunroof if the crossbars are on. It sounds like we need them to be custom batched by a manufacturer for the 2020 Escape w/ sunroof.

I know there was already caution given about EBay, and the picture shown is not of an Escape, but this option looks promising.
Thank you, that is very helpful. Giving this option a lot of thought.

Paul

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's a bit ridiculous that the there is no OEM option.
That's a false statement. My 2020 Titanium will have the OEM roof rack (when I get crossbars). It's an OEM option. You chose to purchase a car with different options. Blaming Ford for your choice is a bit ridiculous.
Frank

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a false statement. My 2020 Titanium will have the OEM roof rack (when I get crossbars). It's an OEM option. You chose to purchase a car with different options. Blaming Ford for your choice is a bit ridiculous.
Frank
I did configure and order it... through the dealer using Ford's website.

If you read my note, after they tried to install it, dealer came and told me they couldn't do it with the titanium with the sun roof. They refunded the money I had put into the financing

Paul

·
Registered
39 Posts
Frank
1) It's not a false statement for those of us that have a panoramic sunroof.

2) When I purchased my vehicle with the options it has, there was no mention that the presence of the sunroof would obsolete the roof rack, and that the OEM crossbars would not fit the vehicle. If there had been, I (and others) could have made an informed choice to choose one or the other.

3) Yes, I blame Ford. It's at worst, poor engineering compared to the 3G Escape, and at best, poor communication during the sales process.

4) Antagonizing people about an issue with brand new vehicles isn't helpful to anyone.

Several of us are not happy about finding this out after the sales process and we're looking for a solution (together). We don't need you rubbing our noses in it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, I blame Ford.
I don't buy new cars often, this is the first I'd ever ordered, so I did my research. Everything Ford has published is accurate on this account. Perhaps you're not aware of Forum resources such as the Order Guide thread?

While I found the 2020 Escape order guides elsewhere, they remain invaluable for understanding what is standard at each trim level, what options are available, and what tradeoffs are required when ordering.

What would you have Ford do differently?

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
2011 Escape XLT 2.5L Blue Flame Metallic
12 Posts
I think folks might be missing one important point here: you put the crossbars on with a sunroof & either exceed the load capacity of the bars or bop that sunroof taking things on or off, it's gonna shatter into a million pieces. Yes, Ford might be playing nanny here, they don't want to see a rash of shattered sun roofs due to people not knowing what they're doing either. But we all know well and good there's a lot of stupid people out there (we're guilty ourselves from time to time lol). the side rails are there, maybe they have some things coming to fit those? Ford contracts with both Thule & Yakima to make official accessories for it's vehicles. They at least left the door open for one of them to develop something & release in the future. these things aren't always ready day one. When the aluminum F150 launched, it took some time for everyone to catch up with new accessories, including Ford! So, let's maybe chill out right now & quit pointing fingers on this one :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
... Ford might be playing nanny here...
Or they're aware of systematic problems a loaded roof rack would only exacerbate. Do a search for "roof leak" and you get 471 responses. Most mention the roof rack.

No question that Ford could design cross-rails that clear the sunroof, no question at all. Ford's too smart to do that.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
2011 Escape XLT 2.5L Blue Flame Metallic
12 Posts
@fbov anytime you cut, drill or open up a massive hole, such as a sunroof, you run the chance of a leak, hands down. especially when something isn't installed correctly, which is why it looks like the side rails are factory installed now by default, so that's gonna at least take that part of the equation out. overloading a roof rack could be very detrimental to the vehicle, so there might be concerns of that happening and causing issues with the pano roof. we may just forego the sunroof, I never have trusted them anyway lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No question that Ford could design cross-rails that clear the sunroof, no question at all. Ford's too smart to do that.
How is it that someone who allegedly joined this forum just one month ago became such a know it all about Escapes and Ford in general?

I owned a 17 Titanium with sunroof. It never leaked in three years of use. That doesn't mean others didn't, but it also doesn't mean that 4th Gen Escape Titaniums would or will.

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
Please keep the responses on topic and stop the personal attacks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Or they're aware of systematic problems a loaded roof rack would only exacerbate. Do a search for "roof leak" and you get 471 responses. Most mention the roof rack.

Have fun,
Frank
Maybe Ford should delete the roof rails on any Escape equipped with the sunroof. That would eliminate any confusion.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts