2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Well I just ordered a set and the dealership loaded my VIN and said they WILL work. Just to use common sense not to load a treasure chest, piano or anvil in it with pano-roof. My intent is to put a few folding chairs and such to free up rear hatch space on an upcoming summer road-trip.

We have a '20 Escape Hybrid Sport with factory roof rails...IF they did not want me to put cross-bars on it they should have put the stock filler-tin strips in the damn thing. Then it would be 100% crystal clear that it's a no-go to utilize. My wife just reminded me that when we bought it I asked the sales-clerk at the stealer-ship that exact question, must be getting old b/c I dont recall that.

...also like the idea of pulling the pano-roof fuse, seems like there is a clearance issue as I read other posts. that and/or a band-aid over the switch should be a good safety NOT to open it. Though with the shade open it would be pretty hard to forget you have something attached to the roof! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased these "turtle" brand roof rack crossbars on ebay and they can be installed and positioned so the panoramic roof glass does not hit the crossbars when open (2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport with Pano Roof). They were noticeably noisy while driving, so I removed them and only plan to use them for carry skis. Overall, these crossbars can work with the panoramic glass open but if they had more clearance then the bars could be positioned farther back toward the car end, which would look more normal and maybe reduce cabin noise better too.

IMG_4938.jpg IMG_4452.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,128 Posts
They were noticeably noisy while driving
Try taping up any gaps under the bottom of the crossbars (from where they can be adjusted to different widths.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Escape SE. It does not have a sunroof or side rails. I saw on another forum that side rails are not an option on the SE. I am trying to find out if I can use a roof cargo bag directly on the roof. Can the roof take it? The owners manual says no but when I look at the cargo bags the descriptions say they can be used without a roof rack. I know I see cars all the time with bags directly on the roof. But...should it be done?

·
Banned
14 Posts
Bought the OEM cross rails and yes I have the Pano-Roof option. Pulled Fuse #51 under the hood so there is no power to glass or shade circuit. Took on a 4 day road trip and only put in a couple lawn chairs and misc odd-sized stuff I did not want/need taking up interior space. less than 75 lbs total, probably less than 55 actually. worked fine!! I could have bought taller Thule rail towers and rails but that would have costed 3x the OEM rails. I also dont anticipate using more than a couple times per season so pulling the fuse is not a big deal for me in addition to the weight carry-limit its not like its rated for bikes, canoe etc.

·
Registered
2020, SEL, AWD
5 Posts
I have the factory rails on my glass roof 2020 SEL. Unfortunately if the engineers would have added about 1/4" the glass would have cleared. Hopefully a 3rd party manufacturer gets this resolved. Wish my old cross bars with the universal rail mount would have worked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just wanted to update this thread so you will know I installed these Ford 2020 Racks for my 2020 Escape Hybrid and to use these I had the "Sunroof wire Disconnected" so the glass wouldn't hit the Roof Racks. The Ford racks are really nice and thin and don't make any noise while driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to update this thread so you will know I installed these Ford 2020 Racks for my 2020 Escape Hybrid and to use these I had the "Sunroof wire Disconnected" so the glass wouldn't hit the Roof Racks. The Ford racks are really nice and thin and don't make any noise while driving.

View attachment 79215
So did the dealer install these and disconnect the sunroof wire? I thought part of the problem was that the vehicle was not designed to carry any weight on the rails? Or perhaps those comments were referring to 0 weight capacity directly on the sunroof glass itself? I want to carry 2 smaller kayaks only 45 pounds each and only 8.5 ft long. Previously I could fit both INSIDE my prius V by flattening out the front passenger seat and rear passenger seats. I have not yet tried to see if I can fit both boats inside my Escape. However, I really want to carry the boats AND passengers. Has anyone else found out more about the weight capacity issue? My dealership said that when he looked up the cross bars it said "not recommended" for my vehicle, 2020 SE sport Hybrid with panoramic sunroof.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So did the dealer install these and disconnect the sunroof wire? I thought part of the problem was that the vehicle was not designed to carry any weight on the rails? Or perhaps those comments were referring to 0 weight capacity directly on the sunroof glass itself? I want to carry 2 smaller kayaks only 45 pounds each and only 8.5 ft long. Previously I could fit both INSIDE my prius V by flattening out the front passenger seat and rear passenger seats. I have not yet tried to see if I can fit both boats inside my Escape. However, I really want to carry the boats AND passengers. Has anyone else found out more about the weight capacity issue? My dealership said that when he looked up the cross bars it said "not recommended" for my vehicle, 2020 SE sport Hybrid with panoramic sunroof.
I bought the Ford Racks from my dealer and installed them there in there parking lot. One of the mechanics showed me how to put the wire from the sunroof inside the cabin. The weight wasn't an issue for me because I am just using for Surfboards only. I don't think they want to take responsibility for the weight on the racks or the Sunroof so they said try them out and If I don't like them I could return the racks. They work great for my application.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts