2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When turning the steering wheel there is a rubbing/scraping noise coming from right behind the steering wheel at the TOP of the column. Sounds like a bearing or bushing at the top of the column to me. The dealer says this is no problem even though it just started in September, and nothing needs to be replaced.
Anyone else experienced this, and if so what was the remedy?
BTW, The vehicle has a Premium extended warranty that expires soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
400 Posts
Clock spring would do that or it could be the plastic steering column cover if it got knocked out of whack.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clock spring would do that or it could be the plastic steering column cover if it got knocked out of whack.
The dealer replaced the SRS carrier 3 weeks ago but it did not remedy the noise. Just got back from the dealer where I was told the Ford premium warranty does not cover noises, only things that are factory defects and/or actually broken. The service manager said the noise was not unusual. I will be calling Ford tomorrow.

·
Registered
400 Posts
They're right that noise remediation (rattles, etc) is not covered covered under a Ford ESP.
ESP is not the same as the original 3/36 warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're right that noise remediation (rattles, etc) is not covered covered under a Ford ESP.
ESP is not the same as the original 3/36 warranty.
Yes, thank you I was aware of that. My gripe is I brought this to their attention in October, they heard it, diagnosed it as the SRS carrier being defective and replaced it. The noise did not go away and now they are saying nothing is covered under the ESP, this is normal. Confusing.
Since then the radio controls on the steering wheel have started squeaking loudly when used. According to the dealer that is not their fault, just live with it. Confusing & annoying.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Do you have a part number on your repair order?
To the best of my knowledge the SRS (supplemental restraint system ie the air bag(s)) doesn't have a "carrier" unless they are talking about a trim piece ???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a part number on your repair order?
To the best of my knowledge the SRS (supplemental restraint system ie the air bag(s)) doesn't have a "carrier" unless they are talking about a trim piece ???
Part # DV6Z 3F791 D "Housing"

Strange how on the original "complaint" they heard a noise, decided it was abnormal, investigated and replaced a part that did not remedy the noise. Now it is normal. They also say the low pitch howling noise from the heat system is normal that wasn't there prior to the squealing heater fan being replaced. I have audio of it on my phone, but that is irrelevant.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The part sits in back of the clock spring and has a small PCB with connectors for the wiper & turn signal arms.
You've definitely got a dealer problem, the best course with a noise is to take the service writer with you for a ride so that they can hear what you're talking about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The part sits in back of the clock spring and has a small PCB with connectors for the wiper & turn signal arms.
You've definitely got a dealer problem, the best course with a noise is to take the service writer with you for a ride so that they can hear what you're talking about.
They will not go for test rides due to Covid-19 hype. They do not dispute the noise is there, the original work order states that. Since the replacement of the part did not remedy the noise, they are now walking away telling me this is normal, even though it didn't occur until Sept. 2020. I am doing more research, gathering my composure and have set aside time on Monday to call the 1-800-565-ford line to present my case about the fan noise, the steering wheel and transmission. To my mind you cannot confirm a problem exists and then turn around and say it is normal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They will not go for test rides due to Covid-19 hype. They do not dispute the noise is there, the original work order states that. Since the replacement of the part did not remedy the noise, they are now walking away telling me this is normal, even though it didn't occur until Sept. 2020. I am doing more research, gathering my composure and have set aside time on Monday to call the 1-800-565-ford line to present my case about the fan noise, the steering wheel and transmission. To my mind you cannot confirm a problem exists and then turn around and say it is normal.
FoMoCo called me back today. They will do nothing as they have to rely on what the dealer tells them so I am stuck with a vehicle that shifts badly and makes noises that were not there before September as according to the dealer there is no repair for these items. In the 3 years I have owned this "vehicle" there has been approximately $8000.00 in warranty repairs. Unacceptable. Gone as soon as my job comes back.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,740 Posts
Take it to another dealer - or is the warranty only valid through that one dealer?

Reactions: 427thunderbolt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take it to another dealer - or is the warranty only valid through that one dealer?
It is the Ford ESP premium warranty, valid at any dealer in north america. It has expired since the "repair" and this was the only dealer close enough that had a shuttle to drive me home.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,740 Posts
I guess getting anything like that organised at the moment would be hard too. Good luck with it.

Reactions: 427thunderbolt
1 - 14 of 14 Posts