2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just test drove a 2013 Escape that has a lot going for it, but there’s a strip of flaky rust all along the bottom of the liftgate (hard to see but circled in the photo).

Obviously I would need to address this very soon if I bought the car. But I’m curious how this happens. Is it water inside the gate itself? Water trapped underneath the gate when closed?

I’m curious about anyone’s experience with this and how they dealt with it.

Thanks very much in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
858 Posts
it's hard to tell how deep it is in the pic, but if I were interested in the car and saw that I'd take a closer look around the car because there may well be more rust. If I found any more I would probably not purchase the vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE 4WD
10 Posts
I saw something like this on a 18 that I looked at before getting the one i did.

Looked up under and the muffler and suspensition looked like it came out of the bottom of the gulf. That car turned out to be from up north. I was amazed at how much rust was on it fro a 2 year old car with 36k on it. I walked away even though it was a killer deal on paper for cost with that mileage.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Too many decent vehicles out there. Don’t pick one that may have been in a flood.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was born, raised, and live in an area where winter happens, therefore rust. From experience, that's not where I'd expect to find it unless the inside of it got wet from flooding, or someone did something that caused water or moisture to be in the car. May have been a leak, may have been a flood, may have been negligence. I bet if you pulled back the carpet, you'd find rusty floorpans or musty padding. If it has power seats, do they work like they should? Check everything electrical. If something electrical isn't working, and you see rust like that, almost a sure bet that it went for a swim.

Things like this can be lived with or corrected, but why? Pass. There are tons of these on the market without that issue and probably many for a good price. My 2013 doesn't, and never has had rust there. Little bit on the underside in the form of surface rust, as is expected from a daily driver in a snowy state, no matter what you drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know, I couldn’t think of a way past that either. Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts