2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this on my brand new 2018 Ford Escape... rust on the column above the brake pedal, and no carpet behind the pedal...see photo. Over the last two years, I have asked several dealerships about it and they say this is normal. Anyone else have this on their brand new car?

·
Super Moderator
2,335 Posts
Looks like the steering column. It's only surface rust and unlikely to get any worse unless there's a water leak.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had thought I bought a flood car with all the surface rust under the dashboard. They all look identical to that. I guess no other vehicle I’ve owned has had so much metal exposed, most is usually covered with plastic

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's normal. I haven't owned a car that didn't have surface rust on interior metal parts. Strip off the trim, dash, etc., in any car that's more than a few years old, and I promise you'll find surface rust. It can be cleaned up with some fine grit sand paper, and you can coat it in some light grease after that to protect it, or even paint it. But I haven't found any reason or motivation to do so since it causes no issues. If you want to do it? Go for it. I know how it is to be picky and have a small thing drive you bonkers.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much Wolfie_85....Turns out the rust is the least of my worries. My Escape is only 1-1/2 years old and currently at Ford getting the entire engine replaced.. after having the top block (which apparently was a faulty part) replaced last month.

I’ve spent so much time back and forth at the service department and back and forth to the rental car agency, that I’m sure I would have lost my job.. that is, if I hadn’t already lost it from Covid! I guess that’s the silver lining, I’ve had extra time on my hands to deal with all of this.

Stay safe and healthy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts