2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulling away from a gas pump the other day, and caught the high cement island that typically protects gas pumps. I scrapped up the back couple inches of the front passenger door molding, the entire back passenger door molding and the upper lip of the rocker panel molding right in front of the rear wheel well.
The scrapes look sort of grey against the undamaged black color of the molding.
First, are there any tricks to repairing or covering up the scrapes? I don't need it to be perfect, but it's looking pretty ugly right now. I may decide to replace them, but I cannot seem to find replacement instructions anywhere. Anyone know where I can find instructions on removing and replacing those 3 molding pieces?
Thank God I didn't come close to the painted body surfaces!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have no idea how to repair these. If you decide to replace them, the mouldings are held by clips (plus two screws in case of the rear quarter panel moulding). You can pull them out (with moderate force).

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had some past success in "polishing" out textured plastic molding scratches and scuffs with coarse steel wool and moderate hand pressure. The idea is to bring down and smooth out the gouges & rough surface profile left by the "scraping" of the concrete/etc. Of course, you can't replace or seriously flatten out the displaced plastic material, but the "polishing" action does seem to reduce (somewhat) the "grayness" of the injured area ... as always, YMMV...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would just go to the Ford parts counter and tell them which pieces you need. Looking at it, just pulls off, probably won't pull off super easy though with those tabs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have had some past success in "polishing" out textured plastic molding scratches and scuffs with coarse steel wool and moderate hand pressure. The idea is to bring down and smooth out the gouges & rough surface profile left by the "scraping" of the concrete/etc. Of course, you can't replace or seriously flatten out the displaced plastic material, but the "polishing" action does seem to reduce (somewhat) the "grayness" of the injured area ... as always, YMMV...
I would try this ^^^. And then hit all the plastic on the truck with Mother's Back to Black or something similar, which should cost you a grand total of a couple hours of your time on a Saturday afternoon and less than $10. To replace all those plastic pieces is gonna be a few hundred bucks, I'm sure; and it never goes smoothly (expect to break some push pins or snaps or whatever they use to hold those pieces in place) - Up to you if it's worth it. Like you said, lucky there's no damage to any painted surfaces - Trust me, I've got damage to painted surfaces thanks to the wonderful winter we just had...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The only thing I have to add about the parts is that if you do decide to replace any of the panels, order a supply of push pins at the same time, so you'll have replacements. I agree that some breakage will be likely upon panel removal.

You can always try my suggested "gray Sharpie" method on the scratches/gouges. Follow up with your favorite plastic restorer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the suggestions. There's probably no harm in trying to polish/treat it first. If it doesn't work or makes it looks worse, I can resort to replacing the pieces. They're rather expensive so I'd like to avoid replacing them if I can make at least 80% of the scuffing "go away". Tanat -- thanks for the diagrams. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Good idea on the extra clips -- there are lots of them. Several are bound to break.
I'll report back on my success (when the weather gets a bit nicer).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good luck .. I have also used a piece of old scrap leather wrapped around a small wood block (again, with some moderate hand pressure) as a sort of "polisher" device to somewhat smooth out the damaged areas in the textured plastic surface ...

·
Registered
143 Posts
My driver door one got pretty badly scraped up and it was around $108 for that one piece here in NY. I haven't replaced it yet, I'm waiting for this winter weather to finally break. I took a quick look at the piece and it looks like it's just a bunch of those push clips. I have a feeling that the clips will break off of the piece that is being removed, but as I stated before I did a quick look at it.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I've got the same problem. Unfortunately for me my damage is on the lower left rear bumper. I heard the warning sensors, but the concrete was so low I didn't see it. Next time I'll get out and look. I'm afraid to see what the rear bumper would cost.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have no idea how to repair these. If you decide to replace them, the mouldings are held by clips (plus two screws in case of the rear quarter panel moulding). You can pull them out (with moderate force).
Have you removed these? I tried to pry out the passenger front door panel and I couldn't get one clip to release. Felt like the plastic was going to bend/break during the process.

·
Registered
65 Posts
scraped up lower molding fix

I have had great results in repairing black molding scrapes by lightly applying several coats of rockerguard black , used to prevent paint chips on rocker panels.Paint it ,let it dry and then coat all lower molding with black magic or similar product from Turtle Wax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, thanks so much for this space!

I have scraped the bottom rear right door moulding as well and I have pushed in the metal a little as well. I believe that If I get the new clips and the piece it could be put in without any issues or without the dented part affecting the look. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the clips, moulding and other plastic piece that goes between the moulding and the wheel for the least cost?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts