2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me thank you first for giving a time reading my dilemma for quite so long now. I got a "SEVERE" tranny fluid leak on my 2017 ESCAPE 2.0L TITANIUM. I have 109000+ on the odometer. The problem starts when I updated some of the routine maintenance and one of them is the "struts". Now, one of the wheel nut(passenger side) didnt torque properly and the shaft came loose while driving. About 30mph. No visible damge that time and from then on the tranny fluid starts to leak to the extent that it travels all the way to my muffler. I spent a fortune on this thing to the extent that it almost cost me my marriage. I need to refill the tranny fluid everyday about a quarter of small bottle of tranny fluid sometimes more. We've tried to look for the leak and we always ended up to the spot near the engine oil filter housing. I've included some pics so you guys can see what im dealing with. I badly needed your inputs on this. If you guys more information about this adventure of mine dont hesitate to ask. View attachment 76576

Attachments

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I mean, at the very least it sounds like the half shaft messed up the bushing where it enters the transmission. But if the shaft came out of the hub your transmission casing may be damaged. Either way, there is a procedure for tightening the axle nut and it’s extremely important that this is done properly, including the torque spec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Leak on that area but the bushings or seals from the side of passenger has a bad leak too. I was thinkin of pulling out the PTU but dont know how. Plus i dont know if theres a transmission fluid line or hose near the engine oil filter cuz the severe leak is in that area

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the leak started immediately following the axle shaft issue, then the fluid almost has to be coming out of the shaft seal on the transmission. More than likely, the shaft is throwing fluid all over everywhere while it is spinning. Get some break clean, and clean all the fluid off the transmission side where the axle comes out. Make sure the trans is full, let it idle and look for any sign of fluid around that seal. if still nothing, quickly drive around the block and look again.
What happens is, when that lock nut on the axle is left loose, the rotational velocity will over heat the input shaft seal and it's only reaction is to melt, and leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the leak started immediately following the axle shaft issue, then the fluid almost has to be coming out of the shaft seal on the transmission. More than likely, the shaft is throwing fluid all over everywhere while it is spinning. Get some break clean, and clean all the fluid off the transmission side where the axle comes out. Make sure the trans is full, let it idle and look for any sign of fluid around that seal. if still nothing, quickly drive around the block and look again.
What happens is, when that lock nut on the axle is left loose, the rotational velocity will over heat the input shaft seal and it's only reaction is to melt, and leak.

Thanks Chief! We've replace the seal from the passenger side of the tranny but now the leak coming from the from near the starter is worst. Same fluid leaking near that area. Every morning when I check it a lot of tranny fluid is dripping from the engine oil filter. I don't know if theres a way that a tranny fluid will be passing in that area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe the trans pressure sensor?? Have you had it to a shop where they can put it up in the air and possibly see where it’s coming from?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts