2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is posted somewhere already.

I have. 2014 Escape Titanium 2wd 2.0 ecoboost. I purchased used a few months ago and have been noticing a shudder/shaking/vibration while driving. It usually happens around the 40mph range and periodically after that. I have to press the gas pedal in order to get it to stop. It's almost as if the vehicle needs to down shift but it's not. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix? Any information is helpful.

Thank you!

·
Registered
106 Posts
sounds like a transmissin issue. you might have the tranny level checked. might be low or needs servicing depending on the mileage,

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2013 SEL ecoboost shudders when under load such as going up even a slight grade. When you lift off the accelerator or depress it futher, shudder stops. Idles and starts fine. No decrease in mpg. So far, new plugs and coils. New injectors. Walnut shell cleaning of valves. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
'13 SEL could be 1.6 or 2.0, FWD or AWD ..... what do you have?

This a car that you've had and didn't exhibit the issue for (how many) miles, or a car that's exhibited this symptom as long as you've had it? If the former, is this a 'sudden onset' issue or did it gradually grow to be a problem from when first noticed (over how long / how many miles)?

Any history of anyone being 'inside' the engine for any reason or wreck damage (or you don't know for certain)?

A "shudder" as in engine lugging, or some sort of vibration, or ..... (better description)? At what RPM range(s)? At what speed range(s)?

Transmission / torque converter related?

Have you tried the simple step of disconnecting the negative battery cable for ~20 minutes to erase the learned shifting strategy and see if that yields in any change?

Throttle position sensor (with effect on all that depend on that data)? Is the problem always with the gas pedal in the same position?

PCM timing strategy (or related sensors)? Ever hear any hint of detonation / knock?

What octane fuel are you running and have you tried a change (up or down) to test effects?

.... just a few of the questions / areas of potential interest that pop to mind ....

·
Registered
2 Posts
No one has been inside engine as of yet other than the walnut shell blasting on intake valves. Shudder does not seem to be throttle position related as it can happen at random times. We have not tried the battery disconnect to reset learned data. I have read that a faulty boost control solenoid can also cause a random studder like this as well. Also no knock we are running 93 octane fuel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No one has been inside engine as of yet other than the walnut shell blasting on intake valves. Shudder does not seem to be throttle position related as it can happen at random times. We have not tried the battery disconnect to reset learned data. I have read that a faulty boost control solenoid can also cause a random studder like this as well. Also no knock we are running 93 octane fuel.
Next time the shudder appears, engage sport mode on transmission. This should cause the transmission to down-shift and shudder should disappear. My wife's 2.0 AWD has this issue when driving around town at about 45-50MH on flat terrain and then when going up a slight incline transmission doesn't "downshift " to compensate for added load and torque converter shudders before downshifting. Depressing throttle petal should also get the transmission to downshift eliminating the torque convertor shudder. My wife's car has only 24K miles and I plan bring it to dealer to see if there is a transmission software upgrade available to TCM module to correct. Demosan

·
Registered
339 Posts
@demosan

Please keep us posted on your dealer visit. I am beginning to sense the same type of lugging sensation/sound at the same 45mph in 6th gear on a level road. Pressing the gas pedal a small amount downshifts to 5th until 50mph and then all is fine. It just began doing this at 20k miles. I was thinking it could be the transmission mount, but the car is not driven hard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
@demosan

Please keep us posted on your dealer visit. I am beginning to sense the same type of lugging sensation/sound at the same 45mph in 6th gear on a level road. Pressing the gas pedal a small amount downshifts to 5th until 50mph and then all is fine. It just began doing this at 20k miles. I was thinking it could be the transmission mount, but the car is not driven hard.
jay1028, I will post when I get the car to the dealer for diagnosis of transmission shutter. I believe this phenomenon occurs more lately as in SOCAL we have to run AC almost constantly so added load of AC on motor at lower speeds around town exacerbates the issue. I just tell my wife to drive with sport mode engaged and it appears that set of shift patterns eliminates the shutter problem. Try using the sport mode in your escape and see if that minimizes shudder. I think the root cause of this issue is a result of Ford searching for maximum fuel economy and in my case my wife not driving her car more aggressively. :( Demosan

·
Registered
339 Posts
I live in Florida and use the AC almost all the time. I don't really like the way the transmission hangs so long in gears in sport mode. We don't use it. For me, turning off the AC doesn't change the vibration.

I agree with you about the fuel economy shifting, but this just began happening. This vibration wasn't present for the first 19k miles. I hate to go to my dealer for this and sit for two hours and have them say it is normal. It only bothers me. Wife hasn't said anything to me, and I'm not going to put ideas in her head if she doen't notice it. She's the Escape primary driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Want to add to this thread with very similar issues.
2013 Ford Escape SEL 1.6. 2wd.
Light but noticeable vibration/shutter for first 5-7 minutes of driving and felt slightly in steering wheel but evident on center console. During right turns, more prevalent around 40-55 mph if it is under load or gas pedal is being held or increased, left front will chatter. After trying to duplicate sound in parking and performing tight corners, it rarely would chatter.
Decided to replace driver side half shaft. After it was complete, it seemed to pull pretty hard to right upon faster acceleration and noise was still occurring under the same conditions as noted above. Double checked but torque on hub and it did seem as it was tighter than it should of been. Test drove, not as bad of a pull but still there, including noise on highway right turns.
Replaced lower transmission torque mount and transmission adapter plate that had a small bushing too. Same noise and issue but seemed like it was easier to replicate, (yikes, going backwards...). Then installed upper engine mount on passenger side. Now the noise is common when accelerating on hills and also when shifting from drive to reverse and back to drive.
Clearly coming from half shaft or transmission. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 2014 Escape 2.0 titanium EcoBoost as well. 93K miles. We have the same symptoms. The car shudders around 1800 to 2000 rpms. No engine lights have gone off. The dealership couldn't say anything was wrong with it but they experienced it too. Suggested using 93 fuel.
Another dealership said they couldn't help and another said they weren't looking at transmissions at this time. I'll check the transmission fluid.
I filed a report with the NHTSS for potential recall.
Any other advice out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 SEL ecoboost shudders when under load such as going up even a slight grade. When you lift off the accelerator or depress it futher, shudder stops. Idles and starts fine. No decrease in mpg. So far, new plugs and coils. New injectors. Walnut shell cleaning of valves. Any thoughts?
Hi, my car is doing the same thing... did you ever determine the cause. My dealership even changed the tubo boost and it didn't change anything. They are now wanting to replace the transmission, but I really don't think that this is the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 titanium 2.0L ecoboost, bought it new, and it started a shuddering this past fall just like you are describing. From research online I have determined it to be the torque convertor. May have debris in it, I am getting transmission fluid changed and will see if this helps my issues. Other than the shuddering, I dont notice any shifting issues so the issue doesnt seem to have fully reached the transmission to need a replacement. I will see how this new transmission fluid does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts