2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Escape is dead as a doornail and it is not the battery, which is fully charged and only two months old. Turning the key does nothing although the steering is not locked. I am unable to move the shifter out of Park to enable a tow truck to pull it out of my garage. Any way to at least get it into neutral to be towed to the dealer? Help!

·
Registered
158 Posts
You should be able to lift off the shifter boot & plate and manually toggle the latch release and move the shifter without needing to use your key.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
As above. It's a white plastic mechanism you need to toggle IIRC. Check your owner's manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As above. It's a white plastic mechanism you need to toggle IIRC. Check your owner's manual.
I pushed the white release and held it down, but lever still won't move. Does it need to move to the left or right in addition to moving forward somehow?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pushed the white release and held it down, but lever still won't move. Does it need to move to the left or right in addition to moving forward somehow?
Got it! Many thanks for all the help from everyone. Now to have it towed to the dealer to find out why when I turn the key nothing lights up and there is no electrical activity whatsoever even though the battery is fully charged and only two months old.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Got it! Many thanks for all the help from everyone. Now to have it towed to the dealer to find out why when I turn the key nothing lights up and there is no electrical activity whatsoever even though the battery is fully charged and only two months old.
Let us know. Assume you measured battery voltage yourself and checked all fuses? What are the typical driving habits for the car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts