2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Titanium. Yesterday, while driving on local streets, I'd hear a single chime sound after starting the engine and starting to drive alone in the vehicle. It happened six different times at varying speeds. It sounds just once each time. No codes. No warning lights. The dealer will look at it early next week, but he's baffled as to what it could be. I'm wondering if it could be an intermittent faulty passenger seat pressure switch that thinks there's someone sitting in the passenger seat. Has anyone else have this happen?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I have a 2019 Titanium. Yesterday, while driving on local streets, I'd hear a single chime sound after starting the engine and starting to drive alone in the vehicle. It happened six different times at varying speeds. It sounds just once each time. No codes. No warning lights. The dealer will look at it early next week, but he's baffled as to what it could be. I'm wondering if it could be an intermittent faulty passenger seat pressure switch that thinks there's someone sitting in the passenger seat. Has anyone else have this happen?
Was your seatbelt completely fastened at the time? If not, that is likely what it is. Happens to me all the time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check to make sure all the doors close and latch properly, including the hatch. Why? Because I got the same thing. Go over a bump or uneven surface, get the chime. After about the third time on that drive, I did catch it saying it was a door, but it went soon as it came, so I didn't catch it (driving and all...paying attention to the road). I had something just slightly in the way of the hatch, so it didn't properly close. It seemed like it was, until something caused it to slightly move enough for the sensor to catch it, then settle back to a position the card thought of as "closed".

As mentioned, check the seatbelt. If it's happening fast enough, it may not get a change to display what it's chiming about as whatever it is jiggles back into place that quickly. If it's not this, I've seen harnesses and wires be just loose enough to intermittently cause things like that in other cars, the hardest part is locating it, the easy part is pushing the connectors together until you hear a click. :p

·
Registered
813 Posts
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, I often ask them....ask my wife ;), but do you have your Sat Nav on when you hear the chime?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2014 does that also, sometimes. I think it's a conformation that it's working, much like all of the dash lights coming on at start.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I determined that the rear hatch doesn't latch completely.
Thank you for responding and letting those who had made suggestions where they stand. That is an important part of this process to often missed. We all benefit from that knowledge and it can help future member with the same or similar questions.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, thanks for the final result. Like I said, mine does it rarely, but I now know to double-check the lift gate if it does do it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts