2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep. GPS and a radar speed measuring sign in a road construction speed zone.

Both showed 2 to 3 mph difference than the speedometer.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,619 Posts
Yep. GPS and a radar speed measuring sign in a road construction speed zone.

Both showed 2 to 3 mph difference than the speedometer.

So it's reading under the actual speed by 2-3mph? Going by the error in my Kuga I'd thought you might be closer to the correct speed now.

I use my cruise a lot in suburban driving (lots of speed cameras) and routinely set 64km/h in a 60 zone. I've never been fined. (When I first got the Kuga I was wondering why everyone kept sailing past me in 60 zones- then I did the GPS check. ;))

·
Registered
919 Posts
I wanted to mention I created a thread on that very topic that #johngriggs and #waverunner10 have chimed in on.https://www.fordescape.org/forum/engine-technical-discussion/99417-has-anyone-reset-computer-speedometer-larger-tires.html

That being said, I have not took it to my local mechanic to attempt doing the necessary encoding with Forscan to see if the related vehicle codes would work or not for the Escape.
I've dealt with a 4 mph difference or so at 70 MPH sine the exchange. I get used to it. No tickets yet anyways!
I really do want to get the computer calibrated to the new tires though.
If you do the mod or have info to add to it, please post it there.

By the way, the whole brake strain and torque reduction thing some have chimed in on...I don't think it is noticeable at all. The 2.0 tears up the pavement really well no matter what, and the enormous brakes take care of business.

Upsizing is the affordable way to get both better looks and letter economy.
Just want out when bottoming out though...as I did have a small upper wheelwell rub once making a turn on a bumpy curve before I had the lift installed.
Now it is literally care free for me.

Glad to hear the up sizing gains outweigh the cons...I'm no computer wiz so I wouldn't have the solution for the speedo re calibration, but like you said its no big deal after you get use to it...I like the fact you gain some in fuel economy, looks, longer tire life, and should ride better too.., but you may loose a hair off the line.. IE, For lead foots only....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reading on odometer is 2 to 3 mph LOWER than the actual speed being traveled. The faster I go, the more the difference grows.

The odometer vs actual speed difference really isn’t noticed until I reach highway speeds (50 mph or greater).

·
Registered
919 Posts
Reading on odometer is 2 to 3 mph LOWER than the actual speed being traveled. The faster I go, the more the difference grows.

The odometer vs actual speed difference really isn’t noticed until I reach highway speeds (50 mph or greater).

Jimi,,,Should be doing 62 when it says 60 mph.... I think in time you should notice a slight fuel mileage improvement too...unless you like to rocket off the line like some do..I cant wait to wear my OEM noisy pebble collectors out...

·
Registered
440 Posts
@KY.BORN , my bad...tablet auto corrections and lack of sleep on my sentence! I meant "better looks and better clearance", not "better looks and letter efficiency"!!!That being said, the efficiency has remain basically unchanged. I have not noticed any drop at all in the dash estimates or real time fill up calculations. I don't think anyone upsizing their tires one size will see much, if any of a change in fuel economy. And it's not like we can upsize much more than one size anyways given the Escape's tight wheelweels.

All season larger tires gives you a little more clearance with more "pavement abilities" than all terrain tires. I have slightly heavier all terrain tires with deeper and more aggressive tread and even that is not impacting the economy. The ride is just a hair rougher and I am a little more cautious cornering at high speed with the all terrain tires, but everything if fine for me. I needed tires that wouldn't pop after just 15 minutes on a dirt road (literally happened to me)! It's been over a year and about10,000 miles and truly no complaints on upsizing, just positive feedback on the subject. Anyone upsizing one size will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is pretty old haha but helped me with getting tires for my 18 4WD escape, I as well jumped up to a 235/60 R17 with the Cooper all terrains, and while yes they are tight, there's absolutely NO rubbing at all. Makes the escape look a lot better as well ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
@Mjsanchez, just rember to turn off the traction control when trying to drive up a hill in accumulating snow or just driving through 6+ inches. I remembered that important fact yesterday that hard way and had to shovel my hill just to get up it after that! My wife has those newer Cooper Discoverer AT3's on her vehicle too. I wonder if the older or newer AT3 models are better in the snow. I guess we will find out soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Mjsanchez, just rember to turn off the traction control when trying to drive up a hill in accumulating snow or just driving through 6+ inches. I remembered that important fact yesterday that hard way and had to shovel my hill just to get up it after that! My wife has those newer Cooper Discoverer AT3's on her vehicle too. I wonder if the older or newer AT3 models are better in the snow. I guess we will find out soon!

Thank you! I appreciate it, yea that traction control will kill your momentum figured that out the hard way a few times. When I got to CT and if there any snow I'll let you know how it works out for me. I be testing them soon as I do all my vehicles and tires, sand, mud,gravel, and so on. That company that did your lift will they do it for a 2018?

·
Registered
440 Posts
@Mjsanchez You're welcome. They should be able to do a lift for you, but they much prefer local install and fitment just to be sure. That being said, they were considering having a firm produce the front spacers based off the design they saved when they made mine. I would check with them to see if they have actually done that yet. The rear "hockey puck spacers" are just custom cut Jeep spacers...but I have no idea which one is the right size for the rear springs. Contact them and they can tell you more, maybe even hook you up. It was worth every penny. I look at vehicles like various Jeep Trailhawks and my Escape stands shoulder to sholder with them, and in most cases, has a little more clearance. It really is night and day. The new Bronco Scout is really cool...but every time I look at my Escape, it just reminds me that it has everything I need (lift, tires, extra lights). I really can't justify trading it in and have to take out a loan on a $20,000 - $30,000 difference and then have to add goodies aftermarket on top of that. Plus, I have had a super positive experience with my lift mechanically. Something to think about anyways. One more thing on the tires: I mentioned on another thread that I had very good experience with my Escape holding an alignment a few months ago...well bad roads or speed bumps in town knocked it out unknowingly. I never heard noise, but I noticed my AT3's were scalloping a litton on the other edge in the front. I had them rotated and they were super LOUD for about 2,000 limes (most of which was when I was on a road trip vacation). Thankfully the noise subsided now as they have counter-worn the high tread blocks from driving at highway speeds. I try to rotate my tires every 3,000 miles, but at a bare minimum, every 6,000 miles. Just keep an eye on your outer tread. If you see it starting to scallop, get an alightment right away before it gets worse. Oh yeah, if you haven't done so already with your new tires, have that done ASAP! Good luck and please keep us posted as you go through the winter on your new tires!

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Mjsanchez You're welcome. They should be able to do a lift for you, but they much prefer local install and fitment just to be sure. That being said, they were considering having a firm produce the front spacers based off the design they saved when they made mine. I would check with them to see if they have actually done that yet. The rear "hockey puck spacers" are just custom cut Jeep spacers...but I have no idea which one is the right size for the rear springs. Contact them and they can tell you more, maybe even hook you up. It was worth every penny. I look at vehicles like various Jeep Trailhawks and my Escape stands shoulder to sholder with them, and in most cases, has a little more clearance. It really is night and day. The new Bronco Scout is really cool...but every time I look at my Escape, it just reminds me that it has everything I need (lift, tires, extra lights). I really can't justify trading it in and have to take out a loan on a $20,000 - $30,000 difference and then have to add goodies aftermarket on top of that. Plus, I have had a super positive experience with my lift mechanically. Something to think about anyways. One more thing on the tires: I mentioned on another thread that I had very good experience with my Escape holding an alignment a few months ago...well bad roads or speed bumps in town knocked it out unknowingly. I never heard noise, but I noticed my AT3's were scalloping a litton on the other edge in the front. I had them rotated and they were super LOUD for about 2,000 limes (most of which was when I was on a road trip vacation). Thankfully the noise subsided now as they have counter-worn the high tread blocks from driving at highway speeds. I try to rotate my tires every 3,000 miles, but at a bare minimum, every 6,000 miles. Just keep an eye on your outer tread. If you see it starting to scallop, get an alightment right away before it gets worse. Oh yeah, if you haven't done so already with your new tires, have that done ASAP! Good luck and please keep us posted as you go through the winter on your new tires!

Awesome thank you! The escape is pretty awesome, light and a great wheel base, just sits low, I contact them to see what they can do and I'll do that for sure thank you for letting me know about that, I had that issue before with a different vehicle and it drive me nuts! To bad they don't offer more for after market, these are pretty awesome. Love the 2.0 Ecoboost, ended up being better then expected

·
Registered
440 Posts
Also do you have the contact information for that shop?
Use this link to contact their shop. It is always best to bring in the vehicle for proper fitment. He's made many custom lifts for all sorts of vehicles. Matt is good to work with, but you'll have to see where they are at with things, as he has been busy.
Enjoy your Escape and 2.0 liter. It really is a great engine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread is pretty old haha but helped me with getting tires for my 18 4WD escape, I as well jumped up to a 235/60 R17 with the Cooper all terrains, and while yes they are tight, there's absolutely NO rubbing at all. Makes the escape look a lot better as well ? View attachment 75848
I really like the look of these tires. I am using your escape as my motivation but I'm going with 16" inch rims off a 2006 Ford Taurus. So far I have had to shave 2mm off the corner of a caliper to help the rims fit and not rub. I Installed a 215/70R16 (28in tire).
Hopefully my escape will handle a bit less rough offroad with some chubbier tires!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts