2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my new 2020 Ford escape a year ago. I’ve put on 22,000 miles. No mechanical problems.

Problem: The transmission selection is slow. I am NOT saying that there is something mechanically wrong with the transmission. Instead, I am saying that there is a built-in delay in the transmission selector knob.

This makes for long 3-point turns! You have to stop, select reverse and WAIT, nudge back, select forward, WAIT, etc. on more than one occasion, this is actually become dangerous for me.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a “safety feature“? Do they want to avoid unintended changes to the knob?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello urbanpiette.

Yes I have the same situation with my 2020 SE 1.5 turbo trans. I believe that the trans is slow to shift from forward to reverse and back because of such a low idle rpm. If the situation requires a quicker response I simply blip the throttle a bit while in the process of shifting and the gear engages much quicker. Keep in mind that it's not the best for the tranny but if it could save you from an accident, it's worth it...in my opinion. I have been in a few situations that I have had to do it myself. I think that they are all built the same as the first one I used for a test drive also did it. I'm guessing it's not a one off flaw but rather it's how they are made.

Gramps

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
The transmission is electronically controlled, they're not worried about wear/tear on the knob.
The delay is actually there to protect the transmission, you're actually supposed to be stopped before switching between reverse and a forward gear and vice versa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The transmission is electronically controlled, they're not worried about wear/tear on the knob.
The delay is actually there to protect the transmission, you're actually supposed to be stopped before switching between reverse and a forward gear and vice versa.
But the delay is DANGEROUS. Safe for the tranny but dangerous for the humans. It’s not only 3-point turns: it’s also just backing out of my driveway into the street.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
Never had a problem with it, and I've driven the 8F35 transmission in both the Edge and Escape as well as having multiple Ford Hybrids with the HF35.
If this is your first electonically shifted transmission, it's really not a whole lot different that going from a stick to an automatic, your driving style has to change to match the vehicle.
If you truly feel there's an issue, take it into the dealer and see if there is a PCM update, if you're still not satisfied then file a NHTSA complaint.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ding-ding-ding!! Here's the key part of the answer. CHANGE (ADJUST) YOUR DRIVING STYLE TO MATCH THE VEHICLE. It's easier than changing the transmission's operating parameters.

My '17 Ti also reacts the same when selecting different gears. I've adjusted accordingly. If the concern is about safety for the humans onboard, don't try to execute a 3 point turn in front of fast moving oncoming traffic.

The 6R80 transmission in my F-150 CrewCab operates the same way and trying to do a 3 pointer in a CrewCab is a damn sight more exciting than a stubby Escape. So, the solution is to turn off the road and into a side street or parking lot, do a 180 and THEN get going in the desired direction. Don't scare the s%*# out of the human passengers by making an ill-conceived maneuver. Oncoming traffic is consumed with their cellphones, music, etc. and don't give a rip about how much time you require to make a 3 point turn. As regards backing out of a driveway and into the street, there should be no worries. You're already in reverse. No need to go R-N-D-N-R. Be proactive, it's not that difficult.

Reactions: ESCAPE17MA and fbov

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ding-ding-ding!! Here's the key part of the answer. CHANGE (ADJUST) YOUR DRIVING STYLE TO MATCH THE VEHICLE. It's easier than changing the transmission's operating parameters.

My '17 Ti also reacts the same when selecting different gears. I've adjusted accordingly. If the concern is about safety for the humans onboard, don't try to execute a 3 point turn in front of fast moving oncoming traffic.

The 6R80 transmission in my F-150 CrewCab operates the same way and trying to do a 3 pointer in a CrewCab is a damn sight more exciting than a stubby Escape. So, the solution is to turn off the road and into a side street or parking lot, do a 180 and THEN get going in the desired direction. Don't scare the s%*# out of the human passengers by making an ill-conceived maneuver. Oncoming traffic is consumed with their cellphones, music, etc. and don't give a rip about how much time you require to make a 3 point turn. As regards backing out of a driveway and into the street, there should be no worries. You're already in reverse. No need to go R-N-D-N-R. Be proactive, it's not that difficult.
I can change my driving for three point turns, but not for backing out of my driveway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I’m hearing is that the computer is babysitting me. So maybe I need to unlearn the behavior I learned with mechanical cars, and shift the selection to the next gear BEFORE the car has stopped. Then the computer will babysit me, and shift only after the car has come to a complete stop? I’ll try tomorrow

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape SEL
35 Posts
It is always safer to turn around in a parking lot or going around the block than to do a 3 point turn. If I was forced to I might attempt on a quiet residential street to do a 3 point but never on a busier street. Electronic delays won't change if you are moving at all. Mechanical systems can be abused but you would have to change programming to change drive by wire solutions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts