2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Something dangling from the bottom of my 2013 Escape

24K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  MaxE55 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello! I’m new here, but I had a question: in the middle of my car, there’s something hanging down that shouldn’t be. This thing is made out of some sort of cheap metal and cardboard? I drove thru some dee water the other day and I think this might be why it’s damaged. Please help!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello! I’m new here, but I had a question: in the middle of my car, there’s something hanging down that shouldn’t be. This thing is made out of some sort of cheap metal and cardboard? I drove thru some dee water the other day and I think this might be why it’s damaged. Please help!!!
What vehicle do you have? You didn’t provide any details of your Escape. Would be better if you could provide a picture of what you are referring to.

#3 ·
As @Vader101 said we need more details re your car but it sounds like the deep water has detached your lower engine cover. This is a common problem and many come adrift if you do a search on these forums.
You may be able to re attach it with new fasteners or it may need replacing if it is damaged to any extent.

#6 ·
The only way you can really tell is to look under your car with a torch. They are quite high as you are aware and you can easily lie beside it to look under and work out what it is.
There are various covers under there or it could be just debris picked up when you went through the deep water.

#8 · (Edited)
What the OP is describing sounds like one of the heat shields. It is a thin aluminum with some type of insulation on the back side. They are attached with heat shield nuts. They tear pretty easily.

#33 ·
I agree. Definitely looks like part of the heat shield. I would not just rip it off. It needs to be replaced. It was probably torn loose from a foreign object in the flood water you drove through. This is a necessary part to protect brake lines, fuel lines, etc., from exhaust heat. I would have it replaced as soon as possible.

#15 ·
It's probably advisable to replace it. Ford wouldn't bother fitting them if they weren't required. Check the area for any wiring/ fuel or brake lines in case they're now exposed to heat from the exhaust.

Reactions: Cobranut
#20 ·
If you haven't got ramps creative use of roadside curbs might help out. ;)

See if you're missing the fasteners that hold the shield on. They're most likely plastic nuts that go onto screws that are welded onto the under body.

#22 · (Edited)
They're most likely plastic nuts that go onto screws that are welded onto the under body.
Actually, I dealt with this when I had my 2013. Most, if not all, of the heat shields are attached with the metal speed nuts. They thread onto a cooper coated stud that are pressed into the pan from the top side.

Here‘s what to do if you want to do this yourself. Figure out what shield you need. Order that and some speed nuts. Nothing you can do about the broken studs. With the broken stud I had, I installed a rivnut to create another stud.

Auto part

#21 ·
Probably catalytic converter heat shield. I would take it to dealer and let them fix it Or if you know a good mechanic you trust, he can probably fix it for ya.

#25 ·
I had a similar problem on my 2013. As it was just torn and nothing missing I used aluminum tape, the type used on heating ducts, to tape it together and back to the underside of the car. That was a few months ago and so far it's held up.

#26 · (Edited)
Good idea but sadly I think in the OP's case the shield is beyond a tape fix. 😅 I would suggest obtaining the part and taking it to a muffler or exhaust repair shop to fit it as it would probably work out cheaper than getting a Ford dealer or similar to do it. They could also check for any damage to the cat. that it covers.

#27 ·
I had to replace this on my car about a year ago. I could not find the part at a reasonable price on the internet, so I paid $100 for it at the Ford dealer. Very unlikely they will have it in stock. Also, the parts diagram for that model on the internet is mislabled. I don't remember what it is called, but I don't think it is called a heat shield (which is what it is).

It is impossible to install yourself unless you can jack the car up to get all the way under, so I purchased a pair of ramps. If you do that, it is relatively easy except the front two mounting studs are located way forward in the engine compartment and require careful examination with a light to see them and then some contortions with your arms to remove the nuts from the old shield and install them on the new one. As another person said, confirm that you have all the original nuts still on the studs so you can use them again. If not, order those as well.

#28 · (Edited)
Just looking at the earlier diagram and they call it a tank shield (probably mistakenly) and it is $25 at TascaParts but is at the rear of the car, not the front if I am not mistaken.
You are not referring to this are you, as it is a different item and is at the front apparently.
This following pic is the part in question I believe as it has perforations and looks like the pic in the OP's original post and is more towards the rear of the car.

If I am incorrect I apologize but this seemed to be the case whist following this thread...:)

#30 · (Edited)
This is getting more confusing as research is telling me that the cat. converter is more towards the front of the car, and this link shows the position of the cat. #1 and the center muffler #12 which is a little towards the rear of the car which is closer to where the OP indicates the damaged shield is from what I understand.

Perhaps this is the shield to be replaced as it covers the center muffler:-

Yet the pics of the damage with the mesh indicate the mesh shield that covers something at the rear of the car

I think we need a side on photo of the car from the OP to establish exactly where it is hanging down as current photos could indicate either front or back and not the middle of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.