2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0L
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat frequently our 2020 Escape Titanium, built in September 2020, will fail to re-connect with SiriusXM radio. For example, when I leave my garage, if virtually always makes this connection. But then if I stop by a store, gas station, or post office, etc., many times I will be dead. No connection at all on the SiriusXM band. It's random and my other two vehicles have never exhibited this problem so I rather doubt it is due to a weak signal in a certain location at some place of business.

Any idea what might be causing this?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
What software are you on? May need to update.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What software are you on? May need to update.
Good Question. I don't know so I'll have to check and get back with that. I had thought that updates occurred automatically since that is how the MMI was set by the salesman. But thanks... I'll check it out.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yeah, check if it’s on build 21194. If the number is lower it has a bug with TravelLink and for some it also hit SXM audio as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, check if it’s on build 21194. If the number is lower it has a bug with TravelLink and for some it also hit SXM audio as well.
It's on Build 21098_PRODUCT. The option for automatic updates is turned on. How do I get Build 21194 or higher through Sync? Do I have to take it in to a Ford dealer for this or can I do it myself?

BTW, I noticed that an update had been attempted at some time but got interrupted and I think it was by me. I went out to use it one day some maybe three or four months ago and I saw a brief message displayed that an update was in progress. Like an idiot, I went ahead and pulled out of the garage and headed out, thereby breaking the connection and halting the update. The blue progress bar is frozen at around the 45% completed spot and the software identifier is displayed that was being installed.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You can also update it via a USB drive. You can download the update from your account on the owner.ford.com site. The update should have installed anyway while you were driving, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Try running the USB update and that will likely fix your issue unless there’s something else also going on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can also update it via a USB drive. You can download the update from your account on the owner.ford.com site. The update should have installed anyway while you were driving, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Try running the USB update and that will likely fix your issue unless there’s something else also going on.
Yes I hunted around for ways to do a USB update, found how to do this and already did it this morning and it failed. The system still thinks an update is taking place. When I inserted the USB drive after downloading the update files from Ford, I received messages on my Sync screen or my instrument display. And the former interrupted file is still there. I would have thought the new update files on the USB would have over written the old software and the new version number would have appeared. But it still shows the old version. And I don't see a way to remove the old update file or "cancel" the interrupted update. I drove around for around 25 minutes and nothing happened.

I was in software development for 29 years and we had ways to get around problems such as this. If an update was interrupted due to a system going down, power failure, etc., we just reinstalled the prior image. We never let a crash or interruption hang the system when it came back up.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
Try using a good quality USB drive formatted as exFat and nothing else plugged in the second USB port.
It's not unusual for a blown update to take 45 minutes to "fix".
After you get the message that the update completed and to remove the USB drive, pull it out and when you finish whatever trip or errand you're on make sure the care is turned off completely for 15 minutes before rechecking the version.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Try a Master Reset to clear out any temporary images. When you inserted the stick, what error did you see?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try a Master Reset to clear out any temporary images. When you inserted the stick, what error did you see?
Won't a Master Reset clear out everything that we have entered and set and return the system to it's factory default settings? I never got an error when inserting the USB drive.

I just tried this again, had missed a step when getting the update files onto the USB. Soon after inserting the drive, I got a "Downloading System Updates" message. Then I drove around for 50 minutes and the Sync version showed 21098.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try using a good quality USB drive formatted as exFat and nothing else plugged in the second USB port.
It's not unusual for a blown update to take 45 minutes to "fix".
After you get the message that the update completed and to remove the USB drive, pull it out and when you finish whatever trip or errand you're on make sure the care is turned off completely for 15 minutes before rechecking the version.
I used an old 8GB USB drive I had lying around and formatted it to exFat before downloading the files from Ford's support site. I ran the .tar files through 7-Ziip then copied them all to the USB drive before trying the update. The system must have recognized those files because I did get a "Downloading System Updates" message soon after inserting the drive into a USB port. And it was the only USB port being used at this time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After that initial "Downloading" message, I never received any other messages. No status or progress messages and frequent checks for the version number turned up no changes.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I used an old 8GB USB drive I had lying around and formatted it to exFat before downloading the files from Ford's support site. I ran the .tar files through 7-Ziip then copied them all to the USB drive before trying the update. The system must have recognized those files because I did get a "Downloading System Updates" message soon after inserting the drive into a USB port. And it was the only USB port being used at this time.
You don't need to un-tar those. Leave them as they are in the SyncMyRide folder, then leave the others in the root. You should see the "Installing Update..." drop down right after you plug it in. When it finishes, you'll get the pop-up to pull the stick and restart. And yes, worst case you can try a MR but you'll lose the pairings, etc.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
Master reset wipes any pairings or saved NAV settings, the radio favs are saved in the ACM not the APIM.
As UofM said you don't need to extract the tar balls, you just need to unzip the file downloaded from SyncMyRide to the USB. You do not get a progress bar or status message while the update is occurring, just the Downloading System Updates text on the top bar.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks all. Once again, in my haste and angst, I misread the instructions, for which I feel rather foolish. This morning I inserted my USB drive with a mirror image of the directory (folder) and two files in the downloaded update file, which I opened with Windows Explorer. Got the message "Downloading new system update" when I inserted the USB drive in the car and then drove around for 50 minutes. No updates took place. So a short while ago I did a Master Reset and it did blow away the offending ".tar.GZ" file that was hanging the process in the Automatic Update screen. Then I set my home WiFi to the car and scanned for updates. I let the car copy over the files and start the update process, which it is doing now as I write this. If this fails, I'll do another Master Reset and use the USB drive for the update.

UPDATE: Well the prior attempt above to update failed so I did another Master Reset then when the system came back up, takes around two+ minutes, I pulled over and engaged PARK (have to do this when updating from a USB drive) then inserted the drive. Got "Updating System Software" message and the message stayed up the entire time, about 10 minutes for the update to take. Then I was informed to remove the USB drive and to restart my car at the earliest opportunity in order to finish the update, which I did. I verified that the version number had changed to 21194, which it had, and finished setting my Sync3 options and features. So all is well!

So many thanks to y'all for your help and suggestions. I'm now better for any future updates that, for some reason, don't make it. Again, I sincerely appreciate your time and your help with this problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts