2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
He said if I had a coolant loss that I should have drivability problems or check engine light and that they add a cup or so coolant in all new escapes every now and then because of evaporation.
That doesn't sound right. Your level is way below the minimum line and needs to be topped up. You may have air in the cooling system (engine/ heater/radiator etc) given how low it's dropped.

You can also have slow coolant leaks into the cylinder with no obvious signs- apart from the coolant level changing. I've had it happen with a different vehicle brand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Question for everyone (I'm the OP): would the leaking into a cylinder show up during a pressure test? They pressure tested my son's car today and they couldn't find anything. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Question for everyone (I'm the OP): would the leaking into a cylinder show up during a pressure test? They pressure tested my son's car today and they couldn't find anything. Thoughts?
Folks have reported on this forum about taking their Escape to dealer, pressure testing it and not finding anything only to return weeks later and finding coolant in the cylinder. Maybe the leak reaches some sort of threshold before becoming obvious.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can you give your engine size... Your engine, drive train, is covered completely for 5yr/60k miles...Dont know what you were saying with the warranty...
I interpreted @Pooterposh as saying only the replacement engine has a 1yr/12K warranty. The rest of the car should still be covered under the 5/60.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I interpreted @Pooterposh as saying only the replacement engine has a 1yr/12K warranty. The rest of the car should still be covered under the 5/60.
I re- read that , but still doesn't seem like that,,but how could the rest of the car be covered for 5/60.. thats only engine, drive-train....Pooterposh never did answer...Seems like she or he paid out for labor..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OP here. Here's my last update for a while. The dealer kept it for 3 days. My son sent them the TSB and they pulled the spark plugs to check for coolant. No sign of any coolant in the cylinders. They thoroughly pressure tested the system and found nothing. We paid a $75 diagnostic fee since they didn't find anything and got it back this evening. They just said to keep an eye on it. I'm not sure what to think. Hopefully by pulling the plugs and not finding anything that means that the issue isn't internal to the engine. That's my main concern. I guess we'll watch it and make note if we have to add more coolant and take it back in before 60K miles if necessary. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. At least there's a record of our concern.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Totally flummoxed, @mrdctaylor. It seems to me that the coolant is leaking into one or more cylinders at such a slow rate that the pressure test was still within acceptable limits. But that would show up in the drain oil. Could the radiator cap or coolant reservoir cap be defective and allowing coolant to evaporate (the water in the coolant)?

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Totally flummoxed, @mrdctaylor. It seems to me that the coolant is leaking into one or more cylinders at such a slow rate that the pressure test was still within acceptable limits. But that would show up in the drain oil. Could the radiator cap or coolant reservoir cap be defective and allowing coolant to evaporate (the water in the coolant)?
Also, other sources of a slow leak other than what you mention. Hoses, water pump, heater core to mention a few.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I appreciate everyone's input on this. I'll just make sure he keeps an eye on it. His mother and I are going up to see him next week, so I'll take him a jug of the proper coolant to have on hand in case. We still have about 7K miles under warranty, so if it is going to get worse I hope it does it now.

When I had a slow leak on my Toyota it left crusty pink residue so I could see where it was coming from. Does anyone know if the Ford orange (Dex cool) stuff does something similar? I couldn't see any evidence of a leak around the radiator cap or anything like that.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
My2013 coolant level was happy just above the minimum level. I tried topping it off a couple times and it would go back to that level every time. I sold it with 122,000 miles and no coolant issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
My2013 coolant level was happy just above the minimum level. I tried topping it off a couple times and it would go back to that level every time. I sold it with 122,000 miles and no coolant issues.
Interesting. His was actually below the minimum when I noticed. Theories on where your coolant went?

·
Registered
18 Posts
His was actually below the minimum when I noticed.
Was his level lower than mine(see picture in my reply above)?
My dealer said that I am looking for problem when there is none. Didn't even bother to top it up. Said something like if the coolant gets low it would let me know on the dash. I am getting very close to the end of the powertrain warranty too.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Said something like if the coolant gets low it would let me know on the dash.
After the engine overheats? I'd be finding a different dealer.

Engine temperature senders don't function if the coolant level drops below where they are located. So if the coolant level drops too far, the gauge on the dash can be basically useless. I'm not sure if there is any form of coolant level sensor on the 2.0l (I believe part of the recall on the 1.6's involved retrofitting some form of level sensor?)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Was his level lower than mine(see picture in my reply above)?
My dealer said that I am looking for problem when there is none. Didn't even bother to top it up. Said something like if the coolant gets low it would let me know on the dash. I am getting very close to the end of the powertrain warranty too.
No, that's right where his was. But it hadn't been that low before. He's had it for about a year and a half. I've changed the oil every time and it has never been low until this last time. Strange that it would start. I topped it up to the full line. It makes me nervous leaving it low like that without knowing if there is an issue--there is less margin for error. If I knew it would get to this level and stay, I might be comfortable. Does yours ever get lower than this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I guess my only question would be this: is it possible that if I fill it to the full line that it evacuates "excess" coolant out of the overflow hose when the engine warms up? I have no idea...just grasping.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I guess my only question would be this: is it possible that if I fill it to the full line that it evacuates "excess" coolant out of the overflow hose when the engine warms up? I have no idea...just grasping.
I don't believe there is any overflow hose with the Escape. The only ways out are: through the pressure-relief cap, a leak in a hose/connection/system, or out the tailpipe. One of the other theories I had was the calibration on the bottle (max/min lines) is off, and the system is finding its happy level (they can't seem to get the proper oil level correct between manuals; what says they haven't made other errors?). Why then that would be so drastically different from vehicle to vehicle is what I don't have an answer for. I have also read of a few others who apparently had faulty caps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't believe there is any overflow hose with the Escape. The only ways out are: through the pressure-relief cap, a leak in a hose/connection/system, or out the tailpipe. One of the other theories I had was the calibration on the bottle (max/min lines) is off, and the system is finding its happy level (they can't seem to get the proper oil level correct between manuals; what says they haven't made other errors?). Why then that would be so drastically different from vehicle to vehicle is what I don't have an answer for. I have also read of a few others who apparently had faulty caps.
@mrdctaylor,
Actually there is a coolant reservoir overflow outlet and tube for the 2017 2.0. In the attachment below, the reservoir #16 has two outlets and two tubes. #18 is the overflow tube, #19 is the line running to the radiator tank just below the cap. The photo is of my 2018 1.5 L, which is similar, for reference. ~18M mi, no coolant loss on my1.5L so far...🤞
Here's a link to where I got the diagrams: Ford OE - Ford Escape 2.0L 2017 Ford OE Cooling - Radiator & Components Your son may have a leak in any of these components or clamps that would be hard to detect with the engine cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I thought there was. Thanks! Honestly, if it is something like that I can live with it for now by keeping an eye on it. I'm just concerned about something catastrophic (head gasket, etc.) happening just after the warranty expires.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Actually there is a coolant reservoir overflow outlet and tube for the 2017 2.0.
Where does the coolant end up if it goes out the overflow line- does it drain onto the ground like older vehicle cooling systems? The diagram isn't too clear on where it ends up.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts