2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a few questions that I haven't really been able to find answers to so I'm hoping to get some help on here...I have a 2013 Escape Titanium with the 10 speaker system.

First of all, let me just state that I thought the audio system was pretty good when I first bought it, and still think it isn't too bad compared to most stock systems. However, I started having problems a few months ago, mainly from the passenger side front door area. I was driving to work one morning and heard this terrible high pitched noise appearing to be coming from the passenger side somewhere, with what seemed to be a loss of audio quality. The audio seemed to improve or maybe I just got used to it, but what followed was a bad rattling coming from the passenger side that led me to believe that a speaker was possibly blown. I had it in to Ford on several occasions. They replaced the front passenger speaker, but the rattling still continued. So I had it in the shop again, this time the guy had me come over and play my own music with the door panel off to see if we could replicate the sound. With the panel off, I noticed that the rattling was coming from the sound dampening material that is installed on the door frame, something that I haven't really seen in a stock car door. The guy ended up lifting up on the plastic and stretching it out, gluing it in place since the rattle appeared to be from the material being loose and by applying pressure on the edges, the rattle almost completely went away. This seemed to have mostly fixed the problem, but not quite what it used to be. Then just this past week there seems to be a terrible rattle noise on high bass, this time appearing to be coming from the area of the front passenger tweeter. This is a different type of rattle than the previous one, but sounds just as bad if not worse. Also, ever since that original point where I thought I heard a high pitched noise, my music seems to need to be louder than what I used to play it at. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions or know of anyone else with this type of problem?

With that being said, I'm considering just replacing the speakers with Alpine Type R components, and then maybe replacing the stock plastic sound dampening material with some better stuff online. I have Alpines in my other car and love them. I just haven't been able to find the specs on the Sony speakers anywhere to compare. My understanding is they are 6.5" speakers....I'm sure the Alpines would have to be much better. I thought I read in another forum the total peak power for the Sony system was around 360 or 380W? I have no idea if that is for the whole system or per pair of speakers or what. I know the Alpines have a total peak power of 660W per pair, and also 220W RMS per set. I'm also going to assume the stock amp wouldn't have enough power to supply for the Alpines? I have no idea if the stock amp actually supplies power to the speakers or if its just for the sub...any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone at least know if the factory amp can handle a new set of speakers or if it is complicated to switch out the amp and retain all the MFT features?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts