2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to open a big can of worms. I've looking into better plugs for my 2014 2.0L ecoboost and man O man there are a lot of different plugs. All have different claims of durability, increased mileage, horsepower ect. I would like some feedback if anyone has tried the iridium plugs the pulstar or the split fire style and if any of the claims of better mileage or added HP is actually realized.
Or are the claims a bunch of **** and I should sitck to OEM.
Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Always use OEM sparkplugs on cars. The reason is that the electronic engine control system is tuned to the specific load of that plug.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I replaced mine with one range cooler Denso ITV22 Iridium Spark Plugs. It was recommended to me by several people that if you have a tune on your car, and or have increased the boost you should run a cooler plug. Many guys with the Focus ST 2.0 T run this plug so I figured why research it any further. I have 30,000 miles on them and took a look at them last week in fact to check and re-gap if necessary and they looked perfect. For a non tuned engine, I would probably stick with the OEM plugs. Denso does make a Iridium plug that is a direct OEM replacement, ITV20.

Reactions: HayaiKuruma

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I agree with Markboris that unless you're turning your car the need for an sparkplug upgrade probably isn't needed. Well....how about a person does get iridium sparkplugs for their 2.0 Ecoboost Escape anyways - well there benefits? A person on the Ford Focus ST forums had this questions and tried it out and even without a tune he found a few benefits to Denso ITV22 sparkplugs. The thread can be found here... Denso ITV22 Results With No Mods - Higher Mileage and Seemingly Smoother Performance

If you're modding your car though many tuners including Ford suggest using the Denso ITV22 sparkplugs for the 2.0 liter Ecoboost.

Reactions: HayaiKuruma

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I haven't tried iridium plugs in my Escape yet. However I've put one in my Kymco scooter with good results. Smoother idle and better acceleration. They were recommended by folks on the Kymco forum and they worked well. I will try them in the Escape once I have a few more miles on it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
ITV20 Iridium is stock
ITV22 Iridium is 1 step colder

YOU WILL NEED TO GAP THEM. They come in a crazy range out the box of .04-.06. You need to gap them to the car. .026-.03 ish.

I already installed the itv22 and now i'm having an idle shutter issue. I never gapped them correctly when I installed them. Ordering new ones today and will gap and install. Update with my findings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use Denso ITV22 gap @ .028 along with Tune from SCT, no issues what so ever, feel like a total different BEAST.

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
52 Posts
Hi,
I would like to open a big can of worms. I've looking into better plugs for my 2014 2.0L ecoboost and man O man there are a lot of different plugs. All have different claims of durability, increased mileage, horsepower ect. I would like some feedback if anyone has tried the iridium plugs the pulstar or the split fire style and if any of the claims of better mileage or added HP is actually realized.
Or are the claims a bunch of **** and I should sitck to OEM.
Thanks
If your present spark plugs are in good condition, there is NO spark plug on this planet that will INCREASE your horsepower OR your mileage! Don't listen to the HYPE!

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
If your present spark plugs are in good condition, there is NO spark plug on this planet that will INCREASE your horsepower OR your mileage! Don't listen to the HYPE!
It's not really about increasing horsepower - it's more about keeping your engine safe with an aggressive tune.

Cold sparkplugs allows for quicker release of heat thus will give a lower chance of detonation. Of course this will not be helpful when everything is stock but if you're getting a tune which usually means a more aggressive spark/fuel/air timing - colder sparkplugs are a good safe guard from blowing up or at least hurting your engine.

Showing off the ricer in me. When I had my Ford Focus I put in three pronged sparkplugs in my car and did that ever wake up my car. It has a lot more torque and response was top notch. You could tell it wasn't healthy for the car but it was fun. Eventually I got rid of those when I supercharged it.

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
52 Posts
It's not really about increasing horsepower - it's more about keeping your engine safe with an aggressive tune.

Cold sparkplugs allows for quicker release of heat thus will give a lower chance of detonation. Of course this will not be helpful when everything is stock but if you're getting a tune which usually means a more aggressive spark/fuel/air timing - colder sparkplugs are a good safe guard from blowing up or at least hurting your engine.

Showing off the ricer in me. When I had my Ford Focus I put in three pronged sparkplugs in my car and did that ever wake up my car. It has a lot more torque and response was top notch. You could tell it wasn't healthy for the car but it was fun. Eventually I got rid of those when I supercharged it.
I said NOTHING about re-mapping the computer. My comment was that regardless of what brand or type of plug (same heat range) you use on a STOCK motor, there will be no horsepower increase!

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
400 Posts
Correct.
If you want hp out of a stock Ford EB engine, use 91+ octane fuel instead of 87 octane.
If I remember correctly the 2.0 picks up 13hp (there's a asterisk on the official Ford spec that says "using 93 octane" when it stats the hp and torque rating).

·
Registered
823 Posts
The factory plugs are Iridium,they say motorcraft on them.
the plugs also say made in Japan.
The Ford Motorcraft plugs are made by Denso

1 - 13 of 13 Posts