2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Escape with the sync 1 (4.2" screen) 6 speaker setup. Normally I would start with a HU but after reading a few threads on the test sound output being fairly decent I am thinking of going more the route of upgrading just the speakers. In the future I would consider adding in a small amp, but for the time being I am going to put in a speakers with a high sensitivity.

My question has to do with the factory EQ settings. My understanding is in the escape it boosts base at low volumes and then drops off the base boost at higher volumes. I read in one thread that seemed to point towards that theory. If there is too much EQ going on i will need to rethink my upgrade path as I was hoping to avoid a DSP.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did more research between these forums and oddly enough some decent testing over on the focus forums and decided budget aftermarket speakers would not really be worth it. It may even be a disappointment. Going up a tier with an amp would seem to be the answer.

·
Super Moderator
2,252 Posts
Did you search old posts? There are a lot of speaker / amp threads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did look into old posts and the answer seems to be that aftermarket speakers need an amp or you end up loosing bass. The hard part is most threads are for the 9 speaker system or the Sony system. Not too much for the 6 speaker system.

Based on what I have read I think but would be safe to say this thread can be closed

·
Super Moderator
2,252 Posts
You might have to try it out?

Sticking with high sensitivity speakers (as you said) would be a must. Focal and Polk Audio are two brands of component speakers I've used in the past that work well with factory head units. They can also handle decent power, so wouldn't be wasted money if you then decide you need an amp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That’s what I was thinking. It gives a good starting point as I can do the speakers now and then add the amp in later down the road.

I am leaning towards the Hertz K 165.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just read a few more threads by centex and now have a much better idea of what I plan on doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up starting off by adding an alpine 445u.

I am holding off on speakers at this time. A local shop sells JL, Kicker, Alpine, Focal, and Kenwood. I feel like I would like to hear each one before making a decision.

·
Super Moderator
2,252 Posts
A local shop sells JL, Kicker, Alpine, Focal, and Kenwood. I feel like I would like to hear each one before making a decision.
It's hard to audition speakers as the results in your car will vary greatly from any car audio showroom.

What sort of power is the non-Sony sound system? The KPT-445U isn't overly powerful for an upgrade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with kicker 46css674 6-3/4 component speaker system with a Rockford Fosgate Punch P300 powered subwoofer that has a adjustment knob you mount upfront to control how much base you want(all from crutchfield). I'm a music guy so I'm pretty picky about my sound and with this upgrade I was very satisfied with the results. If your going to do the install yourself its really not that hard BUT be prepared to get frustrated when trying to run the wires to the tweeter in the pillar, its a bitch !!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's hard to audition speakers as the results in your car will vary greatly from any car audio showroom.

What sort of power is the non-Sony sound system? The KPT-445U isn't overly powerful for an upgrade.

I know the show room is not perfect but it does help weed out tweeters that may be a little to bright. Its saved me in the past.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed JL C1-650s up front.

I was able to get the tweeters to fit in the stock location with some hot glue.

I decided to gut the oem woofers to make a nice mounting run for the JL woofers.

Rear speakers will come on a different day.

·
Registered
492 Posts

The stock 4.2 is not very powerful at all. Don't know the actual wattage but 45w RMS x4 is a nice upgrade in these vehicles because it's crystal clear sound and, with a mid-range ($) speaker upgrade you can crank the volume almost to max with no distortion.

Op, almost went with the Alpine 445U in my daughters car but went with the Sony XM-S400D instead. The only reason was that I didn't want to have to adjust the gains on the Alpine. The Sony has a built in auto adjust which, after having it installed for over six months, matches the system pretty well. I did the same with using the frame from the OEM speak to make a mounting plate for the new speakers.

What are you doing for your rear door speakers? I installed component there as well and like the fronts, used the OEM speaker frame for a mounting plate. The only modification I had to make was install the tweets in the area at the top of the door panel where the factory ones are normally installed in those that have them. There is not any existing mount/hardware there but your components should come with a couple of options to mount the tweets. I went with a flush mount. less likely to get damaged than surface mounts tweets and they give it a factory look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to mention that I grabbed a couple of sheets of roadkill for some minor sound deadening. Nothing crazy just a little around where the speaker mounts and up on the door skin. The goal here was just to absorb the extra vibrations from the upgraded speakers/amp.

I believe I am going to put some JL C1-650x in the rear with some minor sound deadening as well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nice, I picked up some Noico 80 Mil and did the same while I had the door panels and other panels apart. The Noico is just a tad less thick than the Roadkill which is 90 Mil but waaaaaaay more cost effective and is very highly rated on Amazon. Also, the Noico has a diamond pattern on the foil side. You are supposed to roll it with the tool until the pattern has disappeared to confirm that it has had sufficient pressure and passes to adhere to the surface underneath.

I like the tweeter mounting on the JL's for the flush mount.. That's the only complaint I have on the Pioneers I selected. They use a friction fit mounting ring.Nothing to keep it from being pulled without any real effort if you wanted to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts