2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it is the Off Topic section ….

Had a Kenmore for 25 years of trouble-free service. ~5 years ago it crapped and foolishly rather than diagnostics / repair I thought 'time to upgrade'. Oh how little I knew!

Got a highly rated Whirlpool (top loader again), mid-range model 'cause I don't need a bunch of special handling features. Basic single-guy washing machine.

2 out-of-warranty DIY 'plastic splutch' replacements over those 5 years and the day before X-mas it wouldn't advance beyond the initial 'balance sensing' step no matter what (2 hours of meticulous small-load clothes distribution in the thing, it kept throwing all the clothes in one corner of the tub during the 'sensing' process).

Arrrgh, enuf already.

So, hurried research and Friday after X-mas I picked up a Speed Queen TC5000WN top-load washer, drove it home (in the Ridgeline ;) ) and installed it DIY. I think I'm in love with laundry day ...
  • No 'load sensing / balancing' BS - hit 'go' and it immediately fills with water then starts washing
  • No 'lid lock'; lift it any time in any cycle (yeah, it shuts down the action like in the 'olde days'; restarts when the lid is closed - no drama)
  • A real agitator - during wash and rinse the tub sits still while the agitator goes back-and-forth churning the clothes ('olde days' again)
  • When you hit the 'fill tub' button it actually fills the tub with water (!)
  • It sits still and spins the heck out of the clothes - no drama (can't count the times I've had to re-balance the supposedly self-balancing Whirlpool)
  • It's fast
  • Olde skoole belt-driven 'manual' transmission; no 'splutch', no computer-controlled variable-speed motor
  • It came with a ten year manufacturer warranty - parts, labor, in-home service (that deal ends 12/31/19 unless they extend it)
  • Tranny parts warranty is 15 years
So impressed with how it worked with 'regular' laundry I ran it through it's paces with some really bulky comforters over the weekend - Joy. Maybe the best X-mas present I've bought myself in a very long time.

Modern tech, nanny features, minimal water-use may be great, but IMO the washing machine industry just hasn't got it figured out. Online reviews seem to bear that out. The sole Speed Queen "Classic" TC5 may be the last olde-skool, long-life, 'KISS', option out there.

And yes, I briefly considered front-load 'till I read the reviews on those and their own set of woes.

Yeah, this olde phart is easily amused (hard to satisfy, but easily amused) :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
i agree, too many things have deviated from KISS.

some people keep saying i should upgrade my washer and dryer.
but one sage person told me. keep the ones i have. they are basically one of the last generation that was built to last, and can be simply repaired. kinda like a BMW e46. mostly mechanical, not too many computors in the way.

we're remodeling our kitchen and buying new appliances, but i had a heck of a time finding low "feature", but modern pieces.
for instance, you want a 36" wide counter top depth fridge? they practically all have ice maker and water and LCD screens and computers and wifi or built in Keurig coffee machine. i'm not looking tobuy a $4k fridge. i just want a basic fridge that fits smartly in the space we're creating. we found one, but didnt have much selection (and had to get ice and water)

we also had a friend with a very fancy Wolf gas range. they broke a knob on the front, but the only way to fix it was to buy the whole $900 LCD panel. Ultimately after a lot of hassle, they managed to get an engineer from the factory on the phone, and he walked down to the assembly floor, picked a knob out of the parts bin, and stuffed it in an envelope.

I bought my Escape the way i buy my aplliances. I think long and hard about the features i need, and dont pay for extras.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

Had a Kenmore for 25 years of trouble-free service. ~5 years ago it crapped and foolishly rather than diagnostics / repair I thought 'time to upgrade'. Oh how little I knew!

Got a highly rated Whirlpool (top loader again), mid-range model 'cause I don't need a bunch of special handling features. Basic single-guy washing machine.

2 out-of-warranty DIY 'plastic splutch' replacements over those 5 years and the day before X-mas it wouldn't advance beyond the initial 'balance sensing' step no matter what (2 hours of meticulous small-load clothes distribution in the thing, it kept throwing all the clothes in one corner of the tub during the 'sensing' process).

Arrrgh, enuf already.

So, hurried research and Friday after X-mas I picked up a Speed Queen TC5000WN top-load washer, drove it home (in the Ridgeline ;) ) and installed it DIY. I think I'm in love with laundry day ...
  • No 'load sensing / balancing' BS - hit 'go' and it immediately fills with water then starts washing
  • No 'lid lock'; lift it any time in any cycle (yeah, it shuts down the action like in the 'olde days'; restarts when the lid is closed - no drama)
  • A real agitator - during wash and rinse the tub sits still while the agitator goes back-and-forth churning the clothes ('olde days' again)
  • It sits still and spins the heck out of the clothes - no drama (can't count the times I've had to re-balance the supposedly self-balancing Whirlpool)
  • It's fast
  • Olde skoole belt-driven 'manual' transmission; no 'splutch', no computer-controlled variable-speed motor
  • It came with a ten year manufacturer warranty - parts, labor, in-home service (that deal ends 12/31/19 unless they extend it)
So impressed with how it worked with 'regular' laundry I ran it through it's paces with some really bulky comforters over the weekend - Joy. Maybe the best X-mas present I've bought myself in a very long time.

Modern tech, nanny features, minimal water-use may be great, but IMO the washing machine industry just hasn't got it figured out. Online reviews seem to bear that out. The sole Speed Queen "Classic" TC5 may be the last olde-skool, long-life, 'KISS', option out there.

And yes, I briefly considered front-load 'till I read the reviews on those and their own set of woes.

Yeah, this olde phart is easily amused (hard to satisfy, but easily amused) :ROFLMAO:
Thank you Centex. I was in the same position a few years ago. I read all the complaints of the so called "modern washers" and after some intense "net surfing" I found that "Speed Queen" was the only REAL washing machine out there. As we have Amish Mennonites in our area, I discovered that Speed Queen is the washer they buy also (some convert it to gasoline driven). I decided at that time to repair my old washer but if I ever need to it's Speed Queen all the way! :)

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I have repaired my Kenmore washer a couple times. My Kenmore dryer I have replaced the heating element and belt. They both are easy to find parts and repair.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Hang on if possible, to the Washers,Dryers,Fridges and Stoves you already have. If you are not convinced, just Google any brand of major appliance and you will see literally thousands of unhappy campers. Personally, I put $300.00 into our old washer because it would actually wash/clean cloths. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
My Kenmore range of 2001 vintage starting have some problems, so I replaced it with a really fancy Samsung. The Samsung has some issue and rather than fix them they're giving me a new one. Hopefully the new one will be good.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
"Fancy" can be both Good & Bad. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
494 Posts

Arrrgh, enuf already.

• It's fast

I hear ya. Speed Queen btw is still the washer of choice for many laundromats or commercial applications

Our LG top-load washer was second from the top-of-the-line when we bought it about 4 years ago? I kid you not, the only difference between ours and the top of the line was that for an extra $100 you got a delicate cycle. Wanna know the difference between the delicate cycle and the wool cycle BOTH machines had? Water temp.....Wool uses warm, Delicate uses cold...? If we need to do a delicate load, we set it to wool and modify the temp to cold.

My only real pet peeve which I fixed is that it had some sort of water gizmo-nozzle that would shoot high pressure water to froth the soap. It was just under the lid, above the tub. Whenever it turned on, it sprayed water everywhere. So much so that some of the water would miss the tub and end up on the floor under the machine. That went on for about two year and it always looked like the thing had a leak. After some internet sleuthing, I opened up the control panel and disconnected the solenoid responsible for that "feature" and viola! No more water on the floor.

What I hadn't noticed right away was that, that same water spraying gizmo-nozzle got water behind the upper lip of the tub cover (lid/door of the washer) and into a channel that doesn't drain and is unfinished. It was causing some major rust. So, in addition to my free fix, I also had to replace the entire panel where the lid goes a few months later. $120 for the part.

In my sleuthing, I did find some cool diagnostics I could perform with the machine including a way to change the factory timer settings for the different cycles. :D
LG also has 10 year drive train warranty on their washers but only one year on the rest of it.

I will never buy a front-load washer though, sooooo many issues including the tub drive train rotting out on the unseen side due electrolysis (Samsung I think was/is the one that has that to this day I believe).

·
Registered
14 Posts

Arrrgh, enuf already.

• It's fast

I bought my Speed Queen pair in 2016 and I'm glad I got them when I did. They later re-engineered them and eliminated the transmission (the TR models). I think they must have had complains/concerns and brought back the old design as the TC model. You got one of the good ones and the ten year warranty was an excellent promotion. You're going to LOVE it.

I tend to buy appliances that are "over-engineered" like Speed Queen and Kirby vacuums. I don't mind paying more up front for durability.

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Apparently Huebsch washers are the same as Speed Queen. I couldn’t find much information in Canada for Speed Queen. I could find dealers that sell Huebsch though. Apparently they are the same washers. I wonder if Huebsch purchased SQ, or vice vs

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Apparently Huebsch washers are the same as Speed Queen.
True in Canada it seems ….

In the US at least, the product lines / models shown on SQ and Huebsch brand websites are quite different, there not being any models under the Huebsch brand even remotely similar to the SQ 'consumer line'.

That being said, when I look at the Huebsch Canada website I do indeed see the exact same 'consumer line' line that's sold under the SQ brand in the US, including the TC5 model I bought.

SQ and Huebsch are both brands (among others) under the umbrella / ownership of parent Alliance Laundry Systems. FWIW a history of SQ brand ownership is found here (can't readily find similar for Huebsch brand).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts