2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What happens when techs do not do their job properly after an oil change
@FordService

ImageUploadedByAG Free1411271844.143993.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1411271858.953763.jpg

It's more worse now since I had to rig it to make it home but by the time I made it home the wind destroyed the other side I watched pieces fly from under the E.

The air intake that's under there pax side is completed torn off. Of course it happened on a Saturday after service closed and I am 30 miles away from home.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I hope they give you a new plastic guard and a whole year of free oil changes. That's Wal-Mart Tire Lube and Express quality right there. I expected more from a Ford dealership.

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it's ridiculous. Absolutely I am the best person to look out for my car. But in the same sense they can't ignore that all the maint. Which I had thrown in for free was done all by them. I haven't needed to touch underneath. The guard is just one worry since there are no screws. So I gotta think what also was those screws attach too and are they still good. So guard plus other things.

·
Registered
860 Posts
that stinks.. :(

·
Registered
338 Posts
Had an oil change place once forget to put oil in. I started the car and turned it right off when the warning light went bananas. The manager was standing next to the car when it happened. He was furious and told the tech when he finished putting the oil in they were going to "have a conversation".

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is great so far. They did say well you had your last oil change in August. I replied that's nice doesn't change the fact this dealership had done all the maintenance. Then I got asked if I hit something, cause they would know. I said no, then proceeded to lay down more on them. The advisor hasn't said anything since. I have seen my E on the lift and my advisor went out with a camera. Which means at point they are going to send it into Ford for warranty. Still waiting.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
This is great so far. They did say well you had your last oil change in August. I replied that's nice doesn't change the fact this dealership had done all the maintenance. Then I got asked if I hit something, cause they would know. I said no, then proceeded to lay down more on them. The advisor hasn't said anything since. I have seen my E on the lift and my advisor went out with a camera. Which means at point they are going to send it into Ford for warranty. Still waiting.

pilotattitude,

Please keep me posted on your dealer’s decision.

Don’t hesitate to give me a shout if you need me.
Enjoy the rest of your Monday! :)

Tricia

·
Registered
522 Posts
I know it's ridiculous. Absolutely I am the best person to look out for my car. But in the same sense they can't ignore that all the maint. Which I had thrown in for free was done all by them. I haven't needed to touch underneath. The guard is just one worry since there are no screws. So I gotta think what also was those screws attach too and are they still good. So guard plus other things.
Definitely a tech screw up and should be covered by the warranty.

The orange plastic nuts for the torx head screws that hold the shield up strip out after a few uses. I had 3 bad ones on my 2013 FE after only 2 oil changes. Have them check these when you get the shield replaced.

After having one splash shield destroyed by a piece of a truck tire I am extra careful now out on the interstate and with parking curbs. Ford should have made the splash shield out of metal instead of cheap fiber board.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely a tech screw up and should be covered by the warranty.

The orange plastic nuts for the torx head screws that hold the shield up strip out after a few uses. I had 3 bad ones on my 2013 FE after only 2 oil changes. Have them check these when you get the shield replaced.

After having one splash shield destroyed by a piece of a truck tire I am extra careful now out on the interstate and with parking curbs. Ford should have made the splash shield out of metal instead of cheap fiber board.
Thanks... The plastic ones that I had on all my other cars survived, over 100k miles...
:D

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@bjeans

I def. agree, but at the same time @BobP brought up a good point, with the stripped out nuts... I noticed that they were worn, but thought that might have been from the screws being ripped out, possibly one is the cause of the other.

@FordService - perhaps this is something that will becoming a bigger issue with other owners of the Escape after a few oil changes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This could go either way, but it appears that it could have been avoided if the tech did his job correctly.
This is just speculation. The tech knew that some of the plastic nuts were stripped, did not replace them, and installed the shield hoping the screws would hold. Obviously they did not.

I agree with pilotattitude that this could become a big issue after a few oil changes. If you change your oil every 5K miles after 25K miles the shield has to be taken off and installed 5X. As I mentioned in another thread, Ford should have used metal instead of plastic nuts for the torx screws.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Ford should have made the splash shield out of metal instead of cheap fiber board.
I disagree. If something goes wrong, then you have a piece of metal banging around under your car, which could cause all sorts of damage to your car and if it comes loose, to other cars.

There is a difference between an under engine cover and a skid plate. Just because people don't know how to put ours back on doesn't mean its a bad design. Just means the dealer (or whoever)strikes again.

i put my screws on with a hand driver, that way I don't over-tighten. Shops use a power driver and ruin them. I've had mine on and off more than a dozen times.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
@bjeans

I def. agree, but at the same time @BobP brought up a good point, with the stripped out nuts... I noticed that they were worn, but thought that might have been from the screws being ripped out, possibly one is the cause of the other.

@FordService - perhaps this is something that will becoming a bigger issue with other owners of the Escape after a few oil changes.
Pilotattitude,

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for this. If anyone else Escape is experiencing the same symptoms please let me know.

I’ll be happy to look into this further.

Happy Tuesday! :)

Tricia

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@FordService

Please do, the thought of this coming loose while driving on a hwy, can be quite hazardous to other drivers. The question becomes where does liability lie, if it comes off my vehicle and causes an accident. Since its plastic, if the screw goes back in and cross threads that can destroy a plastic nut in no time. - besides the parts that failed, parts of the wheel well that served as attached points were also ripped out I am guessing from the wind underneath the vehicle.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I disagree. If something goes wrong, then you have a piece of metal banging around under your car, which could cause all sorts of damage to your car and if it comes loose, to other cars.

There is a difference between an under engine cover and a skid plate. Just because people don't know how to put ours back on doesn't mean its a bad design. Just means the dealer (or whoever)strikes again.

i put my screws on with a hand driver, that way I don't over-tighten. Shops use a power driver and ruin them. I've had mine on and off more than a dozen times.
Ok, maybe metal is a bit much, so let's say instead of fiber board they make it out of polypropylene.

But I still think that they should replace the plastic nuts with metal nuts for the torx screws since everyone does not change their own oil, I hand tighten the screws also, so they are dealer (or whoever) proof, if that's possible.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts