2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My splash shield was broken and hanging down. All service including oil changes had been done at the dealer. This is a poorly designed part and literally falls apart, mine had several of the plastic rivets popped as well as cracks in the plastic and tears in the felt. I had the dealer replace it, and the new part is completely redesigned and much better. The bad news is Ford is refusing to pay for it, and it cost me $347.99. Ford says there is no problem with the part, SO WHY THEN DID THEY FEEL IT NECESSARY TO COMPLETELY REDESIGN THE PART? I have logged a case with Ford and they denied it, they even denied the part ever changing until I offered to send them pictures of the old and new, then they recanted. Now they have agreed to escalate the case, we'll see what happens. Bottom line is that Ford made a mistake and rather that admitting it and keeping customers, they would rather rip off the little guy just because they can. As one Ford dealer told my Father years ago when he had problems with his Pinto and they wouldn't fix it "new customers walk in the door every day". Ford doesn't value repeat customers.

I've owned many Fords and this Escape has been in for service more in 2 1/2 years than all the others combined in their lifetime. My 06 F150 is due for replacement and I need to find a new favorite brand, it won't be a Ford. By the way my 06 F150 is about to go in for it's second service visit in 9 years of ownership. I've done all the routine maintenance. That's pretty good I would say, but something's changed, I'm very disappointed.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You didn't hit anything on the road that could have ripped it off..? That is probably their defense to that. They could have secured it. And once it is out of their shop if something is "broken and hanging down" is on the customer. Not saying they didn't break it because I wasn't there, but it is unlikely that they broke it. I've had a few vehicles and worked on many that have the pain in the arse splash shield and they don't break from taking them on and off. If something is going to wear out it would be the plastic pieces that the screws screw into, not the shield itself.

I'm curious as to what yours looks like compared to mine, or the non-replaced ones.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Clearly a poor choice of fastener for the the application. Ford should have used Dzus, quarter turn fasteners. They're used on aircraft, designed to be removed and re installed many times without failures. Yeah, it would have cost Ford a dollar more per vehicle.
I am letting Ford take care of mine. I do check when I get it out of service.
If the screws are missing, it is Ford's problem. If the screws are in place and the shield is torn up, I probably hit something.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I got under my Escape recently to see how things are as I do all my own (non-warranty) work myself. Screws used are not machine threads but more like sheet metal screws with the frame not having any machined in thread. I have 32K and have had three oil changes (only at dealer) and two screws are already stripped.
I want to retrofit some other type of screw / retainer as I was a more stable support system.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Had my first oil change done at dealer. They stripped out a few of the red plastic threaded inserts. (Probably used a air gun to put in fasteners) I purchased a bag of replacement inserts Part # W702438-S300 Nut and now I do my own oil changes.
I removed my splash guard to see what was going on underneath. I see you reference the Nut part number but when I dropped the splash guard I only see T-30 Torx screws that screw into holes in the subframe and then the two wheel side screws (7mm nut) that secure into "C" clip style retainer clips.

Am I missing something on my Escape for the (8) T-30 screws front and rear to secure into ? With splash guard removed I only see the metal holes and not really a place to add a retaining nut or clip (I have a late 2012 build date).

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I removed my splash guard to see what was going on underneath. I see you reference the Nut part number but when I dropped the splash guard I only see T-30 Torx screws that screw into holes in the subframe and then the two wheel side screws (7mm nut) that secure into "C" clip style retainer clips.

Am I missing something on my Escape for the (8) T-30 screws front and rear to secure into ? With splash guard removed I only see the metal holes and not really a place to add a retaining nut or clip (I have a late 2012 build date).
Those orange nuts are behind the 8 holes you see.

Look up into the hole or from different angle and you will see the nuts.

Vin

·
Registered
565 Posts
Will order extras and then get under there. Just could not see from reading what would keep the orange retainer in place behind those (8) holes.
But dealer techs must be using electric Torx hand tools and tightening way past "tight".

Many thanks !

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Will order extras and then get under there. Just could not see from reading what would keep the orange retainer in place behind those (8) holes.
But dealer techs must be using electric Torx hand tools and tightening way past "tight".

Many thanks !
Thats def. likely the situation, I have too bring back my E, to the dealership, because, well when they had it, they said my battery was showing that it needed to be changed so they did, apparently the tech. removed the air intake by the windshield, the air filter, and box, fuse box cover. How do I know all this, because each one wasn't placed right and or broken, when saw it, while I went to put more washer fluid under my hood this weekend. the airbox had been tightened down to where the screw holes are now split, the air intake on driver side where the screw is, was bolted down so far it drilled through the plastic and cracked the plastic housing. the fuse box wasn't put back right, and the cover for the battery was skewed to find out they never put the cover (that has wires on it) was never slid back in correctly.

Oh and the air box, one of the hoses that should be connected too the engine was dangling in the wind. Same tech that replaced my regulators for my windows tore the tints on both sides and couldn't even put my mirror back on right, because he messed up putting on the exterior weatherstripping, which is also now being replaced... Another question, if your popping off my door panel, why would you need to remove weather stripping trim and my mirror????

Needless to say they fired that tech.....

So are the tech's power hungry when they should cut back the torque on their guns... ABSOLUTELY :agree:

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the dealer messed up, seems like it's on them, not warranty work from Ford.

Ive had the splash shield come lose 5 times! The first four were always on the driver side but the last was just this past weekend occurred when all the front clips let go on the highway leading to the entire shield dropping down and rubbing on the road at 120kph. I had to tie it up in place with rope till I could get to the dealer today (see pic below).

Interestingly, the last two times the shield came lose were both within 48 hours of a ford dealer oil change.

The metal screws and plastic plugs that hold these on are a problem and are almost guaranteed to fail. Hopefully they'll find a permanent fix before these shields start flying out from under Escapes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have followed this thread all the way through and would like to know if the 2014 Escape has the same problem. Mine has about 7500 km on it now and they said it will be due for an oil change at 8000 . Will a light actually come on my dash indicating that it is time for oil change ?
After reading all this I am going to run mine up on ramps and thoroughly inspect that area before I take it in and immediately after when I get back home with it .

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have followed this thread all the way through and would like to know if the 2014 Escape has the same problem. Mine has about 7500 km on it now and they said it will be due for an oil change at 8000 . Will a light actually come on my dash indicating that it is time for oil change ?
After reading all this I am going to run mine up on ramps and thoroughly inspect that area before I take it in and immediately after when I get back home with it .
Yes, the splash shield on the 2014 is identical to the 2013. If you have it up on ramps I would remove the splash shield and then re-install it after they change the oil. Hand tighten only. Run a vehicle health report. It will tell you the percentage of oil life you have left.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes, the splash shield on the 2014 is identical to the 2013. If you have it up on ramps I would remove the splash shield and then re-install it after they change the oil. Hand tighten only. Run a vehicle health report. It will tell you the percentage of oil life you have left.

@BobP, don't know if our friends up north have all the SYNC privileges we do.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Didn't know he was Canadian. Yeah, no Ford Owner's site for Canadians. http://www.fordescape.org/forum/447594-post8.html

The Vehicle Health Report is now sent to your email address. You do not have to log on to the Ford Owner's site to get it. Of course Ford has to know your email address.
I am sorry , I just don't understand what I am supposed to be doing to find my percentage of oil life left . I did give the dealer my email address when I bought the car but have never received a single email.
Links I am getting here are taking me to basically the same Ford Escape . org site with a little different format and all the same discussions listed . I am finding this all way to more confusing than it should be.
I will ask the second time . . . . will a light com on my dash when the oil needs to be changed because that is the only way I will know apart from reading the odometer and changing it at 80K km as they suggested .

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am sorry , I just don't understand what I am supposed to be doing to find my percentage of oil life left . I did give the dealer my email address when I bought the car but have never received a single email.
Links I am getting here are taking me to basically the same Ford Escape . org site with a little different format and all the same discussions listed . I am finding this all way to more confusing than it should be.
I will ask the second time . . . . will a light com on my dash when the oil needs to be changed because that is the only way I will know apart from reading the odometer and changing it at 80K km as they suggested .

Well I am answering my own inquiry but I just got off the phone talking to the dealer. I mentioned this thread and he said things are totally different with Ford in Canada compared to USA. They do have my email address but they never send out emails to anyone but that can vary from dealer to dealer and even from province to province in Canada . He said to bring the car in anywhere between 8 and 16 K km for oil change at which time they do a 30 plus complete check of the vehicle as well as do search for any recalls etc.
I told him how utterly ridiculous his 16K km oil change statement seemed to me and that I would never go over 8K km. .He had no idea of a vehicle health report being available or any way to check the useful life of the oil and I still don't know if a light comes on the dash at a certain oil quality lifespan so maybe that is not on Canadian cars and I will just keep track the old reliable way like we all used to .
Sorry for the off topic messages here about oil but I did mention to the dealer about some having problems with the parts that hold that shield on and of course he said they have never heard of it. Don't they all say that when we mention a problem . ? I was tempted to say they must be Canadian bolts and fasteners but . knowing the car is made in USA I might have got him confused . . .lol . .

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wyoung

Your Escape will tell you when it's time to change the oil. The wife doesn't drive ours much, so gets the oil changed infrequently. The dealer did the first one for free at 3000 miles (~5000km), and then I did the next when the owner's manual recommended it. Just last week a message popped up on the info screen that said "Oil Change Required". When I did the oil change a couple days later, I discovered it had been exactly one year since the previous one and I had reset the oil life monitor (turn the key to ON - but don't start, and hold both accelerator and brake pedals down until the message says "Oil Life Monitor Reset". I looked at the book and discovered it saying maximum interval was one year. The oil life monitor notification will pop up sooner depending on driving conditions (not sure what they are to make it shorter - probably more stop and go driving and short trips - not getting fully warmed up).

On modern cars, oil change interval recommendations have lengthened significantly from the old school "change at 3000 miles". That's now just promoted by the quick-lube places as a marketing ploy. Most manufacturers recommend 7500-10000 mile intervals on new cars. You're free to change it sooner, but the only thing that will do is lighten your wallet.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts