2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have followed this thread all the way through and would like to know if the 2014 Escape has the same problem. Mine has about 7500 km on it now and they said it will be due for an oil change at 8000 . Will a light actually come on my dash indicating that it is time for oil change ?
After reading all this I am going to run mine up on ramps and thoroughly inspect that area before I take it in and immediately after when I get back home with it .
Honestly, if you're going to run it up on ramps pre servicing it. I would just take it off for the dealer visit and put it back on when you get it home. That way you can also give it a once over and possibly wipe things down that the dealer didn't, oil spills type of thing. Also, so you don't have to worry about them stripping out those cheap plastic pieces that can very easily be over tightened and then junk.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wyoung

Your Escape will tell you when it's time to change the oil. The wife doesn't drive ours much, so gets the oil changed infrequently. The dealer did the first one for free at 3000 miles (~5000km), and then I did the next when the owner's manual recommended it. Just last week a message popped up on the info screen that said "Oil Change Required". When I did the oil change a couple days later, I discovered it had been exactly one year since the previous one and I had reset the oil life monitor (turn the key to ON - but don't start, and hold both accelerator and brake pedals down until the message says "Oil Life Monitor Reset". I looked at the book and discovered it saying maximum interval was one year. The oil life monitor notification will pop up sooner depending on driving conditions (not sure what they are to make it shorter - probably more stop and go driving and short trips - not getting fully warmed up).

On modern cars, oil change interval recommendations have lengthened significantly from the old school "change at 3000 miles". That's now just promoted by the quick-lube places as a marketing ploy. Most manufacturers recommend 7500-10000 mile intervals on new cars. You're free to change it sooner, but the only thing that will do is lighten your wallet.

Thanks much for that reply and sorry about the off topic portion that I am responsible for starting so back to on topic again for any new replies .

·
Registered
565 Posts
I went back under the Escape to confirm the orange retainers. Rear three can be "popped" out and replaced with ease. The front retainers... not so. You need to remove quite a bit of stuffs / front lip molding to get at the orange plugs. Right now I have just one that needs replacing up front.

I will replace them when I go "out of warranty" and start doing my own oil changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought my Escape as a CPO this past weekend and the splash guard ate it on the way home, lost about half of the plastic part on the leading edge on the highway so it looks like I'll be making sure they replace those retaining clips when they do the rest of the work and the TSBs that didn't get completed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 Escape and have had the same issue. Seems every time I get the oil changed the guard is hanging down a few days later. Had it secured again today after having it tied up since 3 days ago, my dealer tells me it may need to get replaced at about $500. They must be over torquing this when they put it back on.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have a 2013 Escape and have had the same issue. Seems every time I get the oil changed the guard is hanging down a few days later. Had it secured again today after having it tied up since 3 days ago, my dealer tells me it may need to get replaced at about $500. They must be over torquing this when they put it back on.
You can pick up the OEM shield for just over $200. You can install the nuts yourself. Just wait until the folks who purchased "hard" sheilds have their vehicles serviced and that thing falls off.

Best thing to do is simple remove it yourself before service.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sure hope I don't run into the same problem as some of you are having.
I asked the dealer about this thread and they said they have never heard of such a thing and have never had one come down or had to replace one. I have only had my oil changed twice so far and have about 20K kilometers on it but I do look under occasionally to see if there is anything that looks loose or hanging down .

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can pick up the OEM shield for just over $200. You can install the nuts yourself. Just wait until the folks who purchased "hard" sheilds have their vehicles serviced and that thing falls off.

Best thing to do is simple remove it yourself before service.
Aliexpress.com sells an aftermarket engine guard which is made out of ABS plastic and has access doors (No need to remove the belly pan any more to change the oil )for your fluid and filter changes. I put one on my Ford Escape titanium 4wd since mine was missing the OEM splash guard when I bought it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sure hope I don't run into the same problem as some of you are having.
I asked the dealer about this thread and they said they have never heard of such a thing and have never had one come down or had to replace one. I have only had my oil changed twice so far and have about 20K kilometers on it but I do look under occasionally to see if there is anything that looks loose or hanging down .
Some oil change techs are more conscience than others. I would expect some service departments have no issues.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I guess if you get your car service I would tell the dealer only to use Hand tools when removing the engine guard. Quite a few people here on the forum or you change their own oil never had a problem. Overzealous Auto technicians with impact wrenches Will rip out those plastic retaining nuts every time.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
Mine got ripped when I hit a tire piece on the highway.. I'm looking for a replacement, has anyone tried this one from ebay? Will this fit on my 2013 Escape SE 1.6?

New Front Engine Noise Shield Insulator 2013 14 Ford Escape 2015 Lincoln MKC | eBay

Thanks in advance.
Have a look at this thread, there is a link to another splash shield that some members have purchased on here that looks like it is a pretty good shield.

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/2013-2016-escape-general-discussion-forum/46442-under-engine-cover-skid-plate.html

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi jshel101, Thank you. I have ordered and installed this splash shield and i can say it is way better than the OEM

Agreed. My 2013 Ford Escape Titanium AWD was missing it's stock shield and I also bought this shield too and it works great and allows you to change the oil simply by using the convenient access panels which means no more need to remove the entire shield. The oil filter and oil drain and transmission drain plug all have their own access panel which locks into place with a twist of the 4 securing twist locks built into the corners of the access panel. A very worthwhile upgrade to replace the stock shield plus it is $40 dollars less expensive than the stock OEM shield too.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine got ripped when I hit a tire piece on the highway.. I'm looking for a replacement, has anyone tried this one from ebay? Will this fit on my 2013 Escape SE 1.6?

New Front Engine Noise Shield Insulator 2013 14 Ford Escape 2015 Lincoln MKC | eBay

Thanks in advance.
Hey @howell1807, I got this one off of AliExpress and it lines up great, has access ports and everything- did a YouTube review on it. I have a 1.6 FE SE for reference-

It's a great replacement in terms of being flush with the underside of the car, for protection, and material. The port holes are super convenient with the quarter turn snaps and they're easy to take out and reinstall. There has been talk of people wondering if there's enough venting, but as far as I've heard, there's been no difference in thermal effects on engine performance or any parts suffering from it.

The only beef I have with it is that the oil filter port needs to be a tiny bit bigger in my opinion- when I put by arm up there and am reaching through the hole, it's a bit tight, but can certainly be done.

I'm a fan of them, and well worth the money. Doesn't absorb water like the oem one... that thing is nasty to take out when it's all wet...

Hope this helps!

Rahrena

·
Registered
565 Posts
I did buy them to replace as the dealer stripped a few during the warranty oil changes and other work. rears appear easier as the fronts appear "buried". Will try before the weather turns .....

·
Registered
396 Posts
I did buy them to replace as the dealer stripped a few during the warranty oil changes and other work. rears appear easier as the fronts appear "buried". Will try before the weather turns .....
Please keep me/us posted. I picked up a bunch of new ones to replace a couple stripped ones, too.

I just did an oil change this past weekend and found that I have a couple that are stripped (all in the front), but I didn't have enough time to "explore" and start replacing them yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone! I have a '14 escape and my splash shield has lost several of its bolts so i have it attached with a rope from dragging on the ground. For the life of me i can not find what kind of bolts i need to reattach it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

81 - 100 of 117 Posts