2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi everyone! I have a '14 escape and my splash shield has lost several of its bolts so i have it attached with a rope from dragging on the ground. For the life of me i can not find what kind of bolts i need to reattach it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I would get the replacement red nut inserts and then put a Jinke ABS splash shield on. I just changed my Escapes oil again and I love not having to remove an entire splash shield and taking a chance that you will strip those red threaded nut inserts that the Ford dealers love to strip out with their air wrenches. Plus the Jinke shield is made out of ABS plastic is 1/4 inch thick and nearly indestructable and mine has been on the Escape for 1 year and 2 months now and it looks great and the acess doors allow you to change your oil easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would get the replacement red nut inserts and then put a Jinke ABS splash shield on. I just changed my Escapes oil again and I love not having to remove an entire splash shield and taking a chance that you will strip those red threaded nut inserts that the Ford dealers love to strip out with their air wrenches. Plus the Jinke shield is made out of ABS plastic is 1/4 inch thick and nearly indestructable and mine has been on the Escape for 1 year and 2 months now and it looks great and the acess doors allow you to change your oil easily.

Thanks for the quick reply! I am going to head to my ford dealer now, i just need to ask for Part # W702438-S300? I can take a picture of my E, its missing 1 or 2 bolts on the drivers side in the front.

·
Registered
339 Posts
T-30 torx

Has anyone got the part number for the T-30 torx screws and the 7mm screws?

I have seen the inserts range from $.61 to over $8 each. Quite a spread.

I had a 7mm missing after a dealer oil change recently. Went back and they gave me one and stated it will never happen again. Still, I will always check.

Think I found it on an older post.
SIDE SHIELD SCREW - FORD (-W700501-S901)
My 2016 has these T30s

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Price reduced to $147.84 shipped but only ~16 hrs left, as of this post. I'd get one but my OEM shield is still ok. We don't get much snow here in TN and I have been extra careful not to park to close to those concrete parking curbs. I do need to replace 2 of the back orange nuts. Even with just hand tightening the screws they are stripped. I wrapped the 2 screws with Teflon pipe tape and that helped.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd get one but my OEM shield is still ok. We don't get much snow here in TN and I have been extra careful not to park to close to those concrete parking curbs.
Me too....thats why i watch these threads. I figure road debris will trash the factory shield sooner or later.
I have modified my factory shield so i can change the oil without removing the shield. Trouble is, i have to take the shield off to top off the leaking transmission, which is another story......

·
Registered
98 Posts
modified splash shield pictures

tried to get a pic with car on the ground.....cant get a clear image. I will try to get the car into the air in the next few days to get picture.
got some pictures. emailed them to vince. anyone else, pm me with an external email address and i will send them to you.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ugh, really sorry to hear about this mate. Hope that you're able to get them to do something a little extra for you after getting this all rectified. More importantly, time to get on the oil change game on your own moving forward to avoid such incidents happening again in the future!

·
Registered
98 Posts
got some pictures. emailed them to vince. anyone else, pm me with an external email address and i will send them to you.:D
Resized the pics to be able to post them.
The hinge is a Stanley 4" strap hinge, hinge pin is a little over 1" long. You see an odd assortment of fasteners because thats all i had on hand. All are 1/4x3/4long except the closure bolt is 1 inch long to accommodate the extra thickness of the extra nut and washer. The 1/2" i.d. tygon tube is roughly 20" long. I tried shorter, but it wouldnt tuck up into the frame as well. To drain the oil, I simply reach into the existing opening in the shield and ‘feel’ for the valve to open or close it…when on a lift and level, the drain shield for the oil filter isnt necessary. When using a floor jack, the little piece of metal flashing keeps oil from dribbling back into the splash shield.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone.

This is my first post. I think you really need to know that the factory fiber engine splash cover will rust your car!

My wife just got back from long trip a week ago in her 2014 Titanium. Her car was due for an oil change so I dropped the belly pan and started. I noticed the paint on the edge of the subframe was cracking. With a flick of a fingernail about 3/8" worth of paint and metal fell off. The entire lip that contacted the cover was damp and cracking. I hit it with a wire brush and 50-75% of the metal on top and bottom of that edge was gone. I used Evapo-Rust to stabilize the area and hit it with some POR.

I am currently looking for someone that can run a couple welding beads down the subframe lip and repaint it with compatible undercarriage paint. Tonight I will be ripping the splash cover off my car too!

During the trip she encountered some very severe storms. The car had been roasting in the summer sun for over a week. It should have dried. About 50% of the fiber was still soaking wet. Who came up with this crap!

FYI, an ABS plastic cover is $50

I am so upset because this is the first blemish on an otherwise perfect car. Both her car and my 2015 SE base model have been the best cars we have ever owned. The brakes were crap but that was a very quick fix. The Livernois tune allows us to chew up ricers in a Mom mobile! I never expected something this stupid from an otherwise very well engineered car.

Thanks for reading

Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
Hello everyone.

This is my first post. I think you really need to know that the factory fiber engine splash cover will rust your car!

My wife just got back from long trip a week ago in her 2014 Titanium. Her car was due for an oil change so I dropped the belly pan and started. I noticed the paint on the edge of the subframe was cracking. With a flick of a fingernail about 3/8" worth of paint and metal fell off. The entire lip that contacted the cover was damp and cracking. I hit it with a wire brush and 50-75% of the metal on top and bottom of that edge was gone. I used Evapo-Rust to stabilize the area and hit it with some POR.

I am currently looking for someone that can run a couple welding beads down the subframe lip and repaint it with compatible undercarriage paint. Tonight I will be ripping the splash cover off my car too!

During the trip she encountered some very severe storms. The car had been roasting in the summer sun for over a week. It should have dried. About 50% of the fiber was still soaking wet. Who came up with this crap!

FYI, an ABS plastic cover is $50

I am so upset because this is the first blemish on an otherwise perfect car. Both her car and my 2015 SE base model have been the best cars we have ever owned. The brakes were crap but that was a very quick fix. The Livernois tune allows us to chew up ricers in a Mom mobile! I never expected something this stupid from an otherwise very well engineered car.

Thanks for reading

Dan
I moved your thread to this thread. There are other links in this thread for aftermarket shields that can be installed.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts