2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of the shield? It does not look strong enough to protect the underside of the car if it is hit by a solid object.
Has anyone driven with it removed? How does rain and snow effect it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
What is the purpose of the shield? It does not look strong enough to protect the underside of the car if it is hit by a solid object.

It does offer limited protection against smaller things on the road. It also helps keep things clean. Additionally, I'd imagine it provides improved aerodynamics to benefit fuel economy. I personally don't see a reason to run without it.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I personally believe the car could live without it but as my friend says often - "If they put it on there - there has to be a reason for it."

I just keep it there for the extra protection and to keep my car from weathering. I don't know how much protection that shield gives but some or even a little is better then none.

Reactions: DAC17 and tglee

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just did an oil change on our FE and noticed that the splash shield has an air scoop channel in it. Must be there for cooling something. I didn't investigate further at the time.

It is a **** to change oil with it. I missed one screw in the rear after I already let the car off the jack stands, and barely was able to reach to get it back in after deciding I was NOT putting it back on the jack stands.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do be careful. I know from personal experience that it is definitely an expensive part to replace ($300 plus tax). It does not like being struck by trash at 70 mph but at the time it seemed like the least dangerous of three choices.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For those of us in the northern regions, I am pretty sure it is needed to keep snow and water from getting into the accessory belts. I drive 3 miles of gravel that doesn't always get plowed right away, and can get rutted up some during the spring and summer. There are times when I have to take the 1 ton 4x4 truck. I had a Focus before the escape and some water puddles on the roads would cause the accessory belt to slip. And yes a Focus gets stuck in snow very easily.

For those of you in the dry southwest it might be optional. I think I will make sure mine stays secured.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
It does offer limited protection against smaller things on the road. It also helps keep things clean. Additionally, I'd imagine it provides improved aerodynamics to benefit fuel economy. I personally don't see a reason to run without it.
yes its mostly for aero, without it i would expect a drop of a mpg or too. probably helps with splashing and stuff too.
I wish they would have worked on the rest of the underbody. a fully flat floor would have had good benefits (mpg and noise)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
There's a good chance it also plays a role in 'internal' aerodynamics .... ensuring that airflow around the engine and radiator is correct for proper cooling. Removing it would certainly alter how air circulates in the engine bay at anything above a crawling pace.

The intuitive thought that more opening = more air = better cooling is very often NOT the case, aerodynamics is a lot more complex than that.

·
Registered
518 Posts
yes its mostly for aero, without it i would expect a drop of a mpg or too. probably helps with splashing and stuff too.
I wish they would have worked on the rest of the underbody. a fully flat floor would have had good benefits (mpg and noise)
I know others have mentioned aero but seem like it was more backburner when mentioning it. It was definitely designed with aero in mind. I believe something as small as our is is good for up to 5% gains in economy. But past the ending there isn't near as many things to disturb the air as there is under te ending/trans.

If it was anything other than aero then they should be ashamed because of the material that it is made of and the plastic pieces to screw the screws in to(to hold it up).

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If it was anything other than aero then they should be ashamed because of the material that it is made of and the plastic pieces to screw the screws in to(to hold it up).
the only thing im concerned with past the A piller on the underside are open cavities and things like the rear cross member and bumper which can act like parachutes

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
>:DHmmmm... Splash shield = to shield the engine bay from splashes?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hmmmm... Splash shield = to shield the engine bay from splashes?
There are multiple names for the same piece though. Splash shield, underbelly pan, skid plate.. Personally, I consider it more of an underbelly pan for aero purposes rather than the other two. But they all kindof perform the same thing. The skid plate term is usually just used for more hardcore purposes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
belly pan

I own a 2015 ford escape and the belly pan lost some of the screws holding it in place. I noticed with further inspection that the plastic grommets that hold the screws in place are worn out and the screws do not tighten up. I have removed the belly pan and would like to know if I can leave it off without any damage to the car. I have talked to the ford dealer and they said it is not required to be on. I would like more opinions on this subject.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
I own a 2015 ford escape and the belly pan lost some of the screws holding it in place. I noticed with further inspection that the plastic grommets that hold the screws in place are worn out and the screws do not tighten up. I have removed the belly pan and would like to know if I can leave it off without any damage to the car. I have talked to the ford dealer and they said it is not required to be on. I would like more opinions on this subject.
I merged your thread to ONE of the existing threads on the same topic. I also removed the complaint post as it did nothing to help the OP.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I bought the thick plastic one on AliExpress and had it installed on my wife's 2017 because she hit a tire scrap on the Interstate and pretty much wrecked the old one...and two tires. She's been running with it for quite a while without any issues.

Reactions: MoneyPit1946

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
its mainly for aerodynamics.
you might lose half a mpg or more, or less, or not.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts