2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
its mainly for aerodynamics.
you might lose half a mpg or more, or less, or not.
It would be interesting if it has a positive, negative, or undetectable effect on mpg.. If Ford has a definitive answer perhaps they could share it ? Other than that, salt protection for the Northeast winters is the only thing that comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Does anybody really think that Ford (or any auto manufacturer) would spend money on something that does not have a necessary purpose. They have the cost and profit of each auto figured out down to the penny.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,894 Posts
Does anybody really think that Ford (or any auto manufacturer) would spend money on something that does not have a necessary purpose. They have the cost and profit of each auto figured out down to the penny.
Well said. IMO, there are too many arm chair critics that don’t have any concrete evidence that the splash shield is useless. It is just their opinion. There is nothing in this thread that proves that the splash shield is not necessary. As the previous poster has pointed out, Ford would not throw away money on a useless part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A cynical person might call it a drip tray to catch oil, saving you from the wrath of your Homeowner's Association.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,482 Posts
A cynical person might call it a drip tray to catch oil
A few cars I've owned have had a large absorbent pad stuck to the plastic tray for that purpose. (I don't recall if my Kuga has one.)

·
Banned
6 Posts
What is the purpose of the shield? It does not look strong enough to protect the underside of the car if it is hit by a solid object.
Has anyone driven with it removed? How does rain and snow effect it?
The 1st car was built in 1886. For the past 135 years millions of cars have been driving up & down the road and NONE of them had or needed splash shields and now all of the sudden they do? Rip that piece of crap off of there and throw it in the dumpster! All its going to do is trap salt and water between it and your undercarriage. It will stay wet longer and will rust out the bottom of your car faster. Stupid idea.

·
Administrator
5,894 Posts
The 1st car was built in 1886. For the past 135 years millions of cars have been driving up & down the road and NONE of them had or needed splash shields and now all of the sudden they do? Rip that piece of crap off of there and throw it in the dumpster! All its going to do is trap salt and water between it and your undercarriage. It will stay wet longer and will rust out the bottom of your car faster. Stupid idea.
What is the year of your Escape? Do you actually know anything about the splash shield on the Escape for you form the opinion you have? Anyone can say anything is garbage, without actually knowing what it could be useful for.

·
Banned
6 Posts
What is the year of your Escape? Do you actually know anything about the splash shield on the Escape for you form the opinion you have? Anyone can say anything is garbage, without actually knowing what it could be useful for.
I have a 2019 thank you and I trashed my splash guard the first time I changed the oil. Quit pretending like you know what it's purpose is fella because you are only guessing.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
The splash shield is a carry over from shields fitted to off road 4WD vehicles to protect the engine, transmission etc. from tree limbs, rocks and other debris that may be encountered when driving off road.
In most cases we do not use our Escapes this way and in areas where a lot of snow or water is encountered I would imagine they would be more of a hinderence than a help. 🤔.
In saying that if you often drive on gravel or sub standard roads it is probably advisable to leave them in place in my view.
They are certainly a nuisance if you change your own oil but I am not concerned as in my case my mechanic does that for me. 😉

·
Banned
6 Posts
The splash shield is a carry over from shields fitted to off road 4WD vehicles to protect the engine, transmission etc. from tree limbs, rocks and other debris that may be encountered when driving off road.
In most cases we do not use our Escapes this way and in areas where a lot of snow or water is encountered I would imagine they would be more of a hinderence than a help. 🤔.
In saying that if you often drive on gravel or sub standard roads it is probably advisable to leave them in place in my view.
They are certainly a nuisance if you change your own oil but I am not concerned as in my case my mechanic does that for me. 😉
I get that in the northern states it keeps snow from getting packed into your engine compartment but everybody doesn't live up there. And I don't care what you say it will absolutely cause the bottom of your car to rust out sooner.

·
Administrator
5,894 Posts
Quit pretending like you know what it's purpose is fella because you are only guessing.
As are you “fella”.

Anyway, I still have my splash shield on my 2014. I have around 190,000km’s on it. I don’t have any rust under my shield. At least not anymore rust than my other vehicles that don’t have a shield. Not saying it doesn’t contribute to more rust. The reason I am not saying that is because I am just guessing. As are you. If you can provide concrete proof that it rusts more with it on. Otherwise, this is just your opinion and not a fact.

·
Banned
6 Posts
As are you “fella”.

Anyway, I still have my splash shield on my 2014. I have around 190,000km’s on it. I don’t have any rust under my shield. At least not anymore rust than my other vehicles that don’t have a shield. Not saying it doesn’t contribute to more rust. The reason I am not saying that is because I am just guessing. As are you. If you can provide concrete proof that it rusts more with it on. Otherwise, this is just your opinion and not a fact.
Here's your proof dude.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Here's your proof dude.
As are you “fella”.

I am a mechanical engineer who has been working on cars and motorcycles for 35 years. What are your credentials fella? Here's your proof.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I am a mechanical engineer who has been working on cars and motorcycles for 35 years. What are your credentials fella? Here's your proof.

Are our shields on the Escapes metal or compressed fabric referred to in this video on the Ford Fusion? I can certainly understand compressed fabric getting soaked with water or snow and rusting out the underbody but metal shields not so much.
Just asking because I have never had a reason to check them out.
Also there is no need for anyone to become aggressive here. Everyone has a view and they are all entitled to it.
The original topic was whether splash shields are necessary and there are good arguments for and against. It is just a discussion and there is probably no right or wrong answer.😉

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I get that in the northern states it keeps snow from getting packed into your engine compartment but everybody doesn't live up there. And I don't care what you say it will absolutely cause the bottom of your car to rust out sooner.
I was referring more to the shields being an advantage if the Escape was used more like a 4WD on rough roads with loose gravel with rocks etc. as the shield would certainly protect the underbody in that case and I realise that does not apply to many.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Are our shields on the Escapes metal or compressed fabric referred to in this video on the Ford Fusion? I can certainly understand compressed fabric getting soaked with water or snow and rusting out the underbody but metal shields not so much.
Just asking because I have never had a reason to check them out.
Also there is no need for anyone to become aggressive here. Everyone has a view and they are all entitled to it.
The original topic was whether splash shields are necessary and there are good arguments for and against. It is just a discussion and there is probably no right or wrong answer.😉
[/QUOTE
I was referring more to the shields being an advantage if the Escape was used more like a 4WD on rough roads with loose gravel with rocks etc. as the shield would certainly protect the underbody in that case and I realise that does not apply to many.
The compressed fabric on my 2019 was so soft and thin I just couldn't see how it could protect anything. I removed my shields 26,000 miles ago. Back then, my oil filter was leaking and because the shields were there, I couldn't see the oil leak and their were no drips on the driveway under the car either because the compressed fabric soaked the oil up. I had an oil leak but the shields kept me from detecting it and therefore doing something about it. I have been driving without the shields now for 26,000 miles and the only difference I see without them is that I can now easily keep my eye on the under carriage of my car. Before everything was hidden.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
The compressed fabric on my 2019 was so soft and thin I just couldn't see how it could protect anything. I removed my shields 26,000 miles ago. Back then, my oil filter was leaking and because the shields were there, I couldn't see the oil leak and their were no drips on the driveway under the car either because the compressed fabric soaked the oil up. I had an oil leak but the shields kept me from detecting it and therefore doing something about it. I have been driving without the shields now for 26,000 miles and the only difference I see without them is that I can now easily keep my eye on the under carriage of my car. Before everything was hidden.
Just checked and mine appears to be compressed fabric also but there is a large opening for the oil sump plug so I don't know whether it needs to be removed unless it is to gain access to the oil filter.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts