2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
its mainly for aerodynamics.
you might lose half a mpg or more, or less, or not.
It would be interesting if it has a positive, negative, or undetectable effect on mpg.. If Ford has a definitive answer perhaps they could share it ? Other than that, salt protection for the Northeast winters is the only thing that comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Does anybody really think that Ford (or any auto manufacturer) would spend money on something that does not have a necessary purpose. They have the cost and profit of each auto figured out down to the penny.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,442 Posts
Does anybody really think that Ford (or any auto manufacturer) would spend money on something that does not have a necessary purpose. They have the cost and profit of each auto figured out down to the penny.
Well said. IMO, there are too many arm chair critics that don’t have any concrete evidence that the splash shield is useless. It is just their opinion. There is nothing in this thread that proves that the splash shield is not necessary. As the previous poster has pointed out, Ford would not throw away money on a useless part.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A cynical person might call it a drip tray to catch oil, saving you from the wrath of your Homeowner's Association.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,128 Posts
A cynical person might call it a drip tray to catch oil
A few cars I've owned have had a large absorbent pad stuck to the plastic tray for that purpose. (I don't recall if my Kuga has one.)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts