2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's actually pretty warm outside for this time of year (about 65 degrees) but this is the first startup of the day. As far as I've noticed, it doesn't make this noise while driving, after my lunch startup, or startup before heading home. It's only after it has been off for several hours. I'll pay closer attention to it though over the next couple days to make sure. There's about 500 miles on it right now.

You can hear it at 0:20 and 0:32. It's just like a quick double squeak.

This is a direct link to the video on my cloud storage.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
722 Posts
WD40 sprayed on the ball joints, sway bar links and control arm bushings.
Soak em, too much won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
WD40 sprayed on the ball joints, sway bar links and control arm bushings.
Soak em, too much won't hurt anything.
The slight "squeak" or "ding" is emitted while parked and warming up. It has nothing to do with suspension or steering components at 500 miles... Perhaps the AC compressor engaging, or maybe an evap system or EGV valve is being activated, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't this be more engine-related
Perhaps the AC compressor engaging, or maybe an evap system or EGV valve is being activated, etc.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Something opening and closing, or moving back and forth real quick. If it were belt or pulley it would probably be a consistent rhythm. AC is turned off, not sure if that would make a difference. Hopefully it's something that goes away after it's been broken in more. I'm not sure if it's a problem or I'm just bring paranoid from dealing with so many issues with my previous vehicle. But if someone else has noticed this with their Escape it would be reassuring.

Maybe I should just remote start from inside my home and let it run for a minute so I don't hear it and eventually forget about it :LOL:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wouldn't this be more engine-related

That's kinda what I was thinking. Something opening and closing, or moving back and forth real quick. If it were belt or pulley it would probably be a consistent rhythm. AC is turned off, not sure if that would make a difference. Hopefully it's something that goes away after it's been broken in more. I'm not sure if it's a problem or I'm just bring paranoid from dealing with so many issues with my previous vehicle. But if someone else has noticed this with their Escape it would be reassuring.

Maybe I should just remote start from inside my home and let it run for a minute so I don't hear it and eventually forget about it :LOL:
It's certainly nothing to be concerned about, particularly upon cold warmup. There are faint noises, but they're all quite normal, especially for a new 2.0 Ecoboost engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update:

I'm definitely noticing the squeaking more often now. I don't know if it's actually happening more often, or I'm just more aware.

It will do it pretty much every time I start the car, unless it was running recently.

It also does it right after shifting, like when the transmission re-engages and the engine RPM's start going back up again. I notice this more at lower speeds. Not sure if it only does it at lower speeds or if I just can't hear it at higher speeds because of road noise and stuff like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same noise here WillMcK. It's been below freezing here for weeks so it could be due to the cold for us and I can't say it's happening more often now than when I first noticed it about a month ago. We've had the Escape for about 2.5 months now.

It seems to only happen on startup and occasionally at idle. I tried driving with the windows down for a mile or so and didn't hear any chirps/squeaks while driving. It happens almost every time we remote start it then hit the start button to turn everything on and you can't hear it if the doors and windows are closed, only if you are outside of the car. It squeaks twice quickly then stops just as fast like you said before but your audio file is gone so I can't say it's exactly the same. Something has to be engaging like others said and it's really more of a minor annoyance than anything. If I find anything more out about it I'll be sure to report here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same noise here WillMcK.
Woops, sorry. I've been doing some re-structuring of my cloud storage so it's not longer in the same location. Here's a new link:

Good to know I'm not the only one. Guess we'll see if Ford says anything about it when I bring it in for the first oil change. They're supposed to do a free basic inspection each time for belts and hoses and stuff, and it's pretty noticeable and it does it every time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That doesn't sound the same as ours unfortunately. We have more of a double chirp which I thought was a bird the first time I heard it. It's really quick and spontaneous and I'm curious to see if it happens once we get into the 40s or 50s for a couple days this week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts