2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

261 - 280 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
People who don't like change.
there is nothing wrong with it.
i can see how it might be a bit annoying if you like to inch forward in stop and go traffic. so change your habit a tiny bit. stay in one place a little longer. i like to use a manual transmission analogy. your clutch only has so many time you can launch the car before it wears out. so why would you use it to move 5 inches. wait until you need to move a car length or 2 car lengths. or instead or acelerating, then slamming on the brakes, you could just crawl a long as a slow speed, and maybe never have to stop.
also there is a very slight delay. so anticipate that, and you'll be fine.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Why all the hate? Is there something I should be worried about with it?
I merged your thread to the discussion thread on this feature.

I really don’t understand the hate myself. @Thenorm outlined it perfectly. I also find, on this forum anyways, that a lot of the hate is coming from older drivers. Maybe they are set in their ways. There are also a lot of unproven claims that starters will wear out quicker. IMO, I think that this is just someone’s guess to what will happen without any proof.

People also seem to forget a really important benefit of this feature, which is to cut down on pollution. I personally think this is the most important reason to use this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I merged your thread to the discussion thread on this feature.

I really don’t understand the hate myself. @Thenorm outlined it perfectly. I also find, on this forum anyways, that a lot of the hate is coming from older drivers. Maybe they are set in their ways. There are also a lot of unproven claims that starters will wear out quicker. IMO, I think that this is just someone’s guess to what will happen without any proof.

People also seem to forget a really important benefit of this feature, which is to cut down on pollution. I personally think this is the most important reason to use this.
Thanks for the move. I never even saw this crock pot of anger!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Ha-ha, re our friend @Vader101 referring to us older cranky drivers, I am, let us say a more 'mature' driver at 77 ;) and I do not mind the stop/start feature and normally leave it on however occasionally I use Sport mode which turns it of anyway.

Both the battery and starter etc. are designed to withstand the extra use so the extra wear factor is a fallacy in my view and the view of engineers who should know according to my research on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,173 Posts
I'm not a fan of it. A hot turbo probably isn't either. ;)

·
Administrator
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Ha-ha, re our friend @Vader101 referring to us older cranky drivers, I am, let us say a more 'mature' driver at 77 ;) and I do not mind the stop/start feature and normally leave it on
I just meant that most of the people complaining about it seem to be older drivers. I didn’t say that all complainers where old drivers. 😀

I do have a question for those that don’t like it. All of the reason you don’t like it, is there any proof to have those concerns? Any reports of starters failing early because being used more? I have never seen anything reported here. I do understand that there are a lot of issues that are not reported in this forum. That’s why I’m hoping someone could reply with proof on these parts actually failing from using the start/stop feature. As of now, all I am seeing is people stating uninstantiated concerns.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I just meant that most of the people complaining about it seem to be older drivers. I didn’t say that all complainers where old drivers. 😀
Yeah....I know. :LOL:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Game it!

In stop and go traffic, it is possible to apply the brakes lightly enough to stop the car but keep the stop-start from triggering. See if you can keep it running next time you're queued at a ramp meter or 4-way stop.

No cheating! Keep it in Drive!
My Suzuki is just the opposite. it has a "Throttle Assist" feature that bumps the idle up about 200rpm when starting to engage the clutch lever, supposedly to help launch from a stop smoothly.

·
Administrator
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
This is what I was looking for. It can hurt the turbo? I figured there had to be a record of some sort of damage this does..
I would look into this to see if there are true claims that the turbo could be damaged by this feature. I have never heard of any of the Escapes having damaged turbos from using start/stop.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would look into this to see if there are true claims that the turbo could be damaged by this feature. I have never heard of any of the Escapes having damaged turbos from using start/stop.
The twin scroll EcoBoost turbos have a low boost side that is spun from just off idle, and at some point transitions to the high boost side for more power. This high boost side runs hotter under load:700-1000ºF/370-535ºC but has very little or no boosting at low rpms or light loading. The low boost side operates at much cooler temperatures and pressures and its main function is to decrease turbo lag under acceleration. So basically when S/S is activated the turbo boost is nil, the high boost side having cooled during deceleration and/or light, steady load. My semi (Cummins 13INX has a pyrometer that measures exhaust temperature at the back of the turbocharger, and it cools down pretty rapidly from 790º F. also I think the EcoBoosts have an electric water pump that can run even when the motor isn't, to keep hot parts cool.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,173 Posts
also I think the EcoBoosts have an electric water pump that can run even when the motor isn't, to keep hot parts cool.
I'd be much happier with the whole system if the oil was also kept up to idle pressure when the engine stops.

·
Registered
2017 Red Escape Titanium 1.5L w/Sport Appearance Pkg
56 Posts
I do have a question for those that don’t like it. All of the reason you don’t like it, is there any proof to have those concerns?
Yes. An AGM battery in an ideal climate but lots of stop and go (Southern California) should last at least 3 years if not more. My 2017 with 26k miles is apparently on its 3rd battery. My 2006 Escape uses the older sealed lead acid batteries (a type which tend to die sooner) last a lot longer.

That said, I don't hate it, but I do wish it saved me more than 3% on fuel, and it cycles a lot. My 8.8 mile commute has 23 stoplights, 5 stop signs, and 2.3 miles of freeway that used to be stop and go. Before replacing my battery (which would not charge enough for start/stop), I got 22.8 mpg. Now I get 23.5.

BTW, Start stop only engages once the catalytic converters are warm, so the pollution avoided by stopping the engine is miniscule. There would be more effect if somehow they could be pre-heated before starting the engine.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes. An AGM battery in an ideal climate but lots of stop and go (Southern California) should last at least 3 years if not more. My 2017 with 26k miles is apparently on its 3rd battery. My 2006 Escape uses the older sealed lead acid batteries (a type which tend to die sooner) last a lot longer.

That said, I don't hate it, but I do wish it saved me more than 3% on fuel, and it cycles a lot. My 8.8 mile commute has 23 stoplights, 5 stop signs, and 2.3 miles of freeway that used to be stop and go. Before replacing my battery (which would not charge enough for start/stop), I got 22.8 mpg. Now I get 23.5.

BTW, Start stop only engages once the catalytic converters are warm, so the pollution avoided by stopping the engine is miniscule. There would be more effect if somehow they could be pre-heated before starting the engine.
Meh... preheating the cats would probably involve discharging the battery in order to get the start/stop engaging sooner so it can restart ~23 times on on your commute...

I'm largely retired now, but my 17 mile trip to work involved 1 stop light and three 4-way stop signs on 50-55 mph roads. The other ~20 mile route only had the one stoplight.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
3% is a huge improvement for such a simple implementation.

·
Registered
2017 Red Escape Titanium 1.5L w/Sport Appearance Pkg
56 Posts
As long as I don't have to keep replacing my battery every 18 months. The fuel savings look to be about $35/yr.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
As long as I don't have to keep replacing my battery every 18 months. The fuel savings look to be about $35/yr.
The battery should last a lot longer than that regardless of the stop/start technology. Obviously they use a heavier duty battery to cope.
I am still on the same battery since new on my 2017 model @ 23,000 miles and I normally have the stop/start feature turned on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The battery should last a lot longer than that regardless of the stop/start technology. Obviously they use a heavier duty battery to cope.
I am still on the same battery since new on my 2017 model @ 23,000 miles and I normally have the stop/start feature turned on.
i have a 2017 ford escape my battery was 4 yrs old tried to figure out why my stop star quite working , so i thought i would try something ,don't get me wrong now my escape started great, lights didn't dim battery light never stayed on after starting, but here is what I did I put the trickle charger on my factory battery for about 4 hrs. or so , took it off and guess what, my start stop started to work for about say 4 start and stops and that was it , so I simply got a new battery all is well, stop start works like the day I picked in January of 2017, so 4yrs with this special battery is all I got, as far as stop- start is concerned anyway , I don't know how much more life I really could have got out of the factory battery maybe another winter not really sure ,of course with out the stop start .

261 - 280 of 317 Posts