2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

281 - 300 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
but really if your the kind thats on the highway 80 persent of the time stop -start feature is really useless, as far as im concerned anyway .

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
ya pretty well you end spending around 230.00 for a new battery after 4yrs your gas savings are gone .
Apparently these stop/start systems do not make any difference to battery life due to the heavier duty battery installed according to research.
Stop/start batteries are normally guaranteed for 4 years but some last up to 7 years, the same as a 'normal' battery.
The battery thrives on this type of use according to this video. Scroll to 11.11 if you do not want to view all the video. This guy raves on but does know his stuff I believe.

Also, apparently very little strain is put on the starter and battery due to the engine always stopping in the optimal TDC position for an instant easy restart.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Registered
462 Posts
I might have asked this before here or a similar thread, but one of the main reasons for S/S is to reduce emissions, so shouldn't the battery and starter be covered under the emissions control warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,173 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The place I get my batteries from, come with a 6 year warranty.
But can anyone tell me in layman’s language what if anything is different in the construction of a 3 year and 6 year battery?

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
But can anyone tell me in layman’s language what if anything is different in the construction of a 3 year and 6 year battery?
No idea. I just know that the latest battery I got from this place is over 7 years old. They are known for the longevity of their batteries.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My dad used to have saying.....you get what you pay for. I guess it comes down to whatever materials they use for the construction, like most things. Their R & D departments will know how long its going to last as last thing they will want is loads of failures in the warranty period. Their selling price will be based on the cost price of the materials to make.

NigelB on the Kuga UK forum would probably give you a better review as he was involved in the battery industry for some years.

Personally I would possibly go for the three year battery unless I was intending on keeping the car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As for the stop start system I don't really see any advantage for me apart from one.

The system "has a mind of it's own" deciding when it will work or not subject to the criteria being met.
When activated the engine re-starts on its own after a short period of time so if sat in traffic you need to do what the human brain may have done anyway and turn the engine off.
We have owners who are replacing their batteries due to it not working efficiently which also has an environmental impact
The cost of the batteries in the UK are about 50% more expensive than a normal lead acid HD battery
A stop start alternator and starter motor are also likely to be more expensive
If I had to sit in heavy traffic every day for long periods of time I would either move house, move my job or find another mode of transport to go to work. Luckily I live n a small city but it can take 30 minutes to get from one side to the other but I would say it's more slow moving traffic so stop start is pretty pointless for me apart from traffic lights.

I inherited the system with the car. It would never be a plus point for me and think manufacturers should be looking elsewhere to gain environmental points until such time as they devise a system that works every day on every journey. Our Vauxhall Mokka works a lot better than the Ford system. As a passenger I find the system irritating for some reason. It doesn't bother me as a driver apart from thinking one day I am going to put my foot back on the clutch and its not going to start.

One advantage for me with stop start is because I have a 2 litre diesel. This is the best engine in the Kuga in the UK. I call this the "Long Life" engine. Lots of low down grunt and torque. Sadly we don't get the 2 litre petrol turbo which you lucky guys in the US and Australia get as that would be my choice. Sorry, I went on a diversion. The good thing about stop start with a diesel is if it kicks in when you stop it means the car ISN'T performing a dpf regeneration. Not good for the car if you stop it and as its difficult to tell when its regenerating. The stop start is a bit of a fail safe and makes me check my instant mpg to see if it's burning any more than 0.1/0.2 gallons per hour. If it is then its a sign a dpf regeneration is in progress. I have never caught my car doing one yet in over 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
3,173 Posts
The place I get my batteries from, come with a 6 year warranty.
Wow. And you get harsher Winters than Australia.

PS: What brand battery is it?

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Wow. And you get harsher Winters than Australia.

PS: What brand battery is it?
It is from a place called Alberta Motor Association. They told me the brand of battery they use, but I can’t remember.

This is all they say on their website, the way don’t mention the brand they use.

CAA Premium Batteries
Our batteries are designed for tough Alberta conditions and come with an industry-leading six-year warranty.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have a national chain in the UK (Halfords) who give a 5 year warranty on their own branded battery for our Kuga with stop/start. £114 or $159 if you fit it yourself.

Reactions: murcod

·
Super Moderator
3,173 Posts
Are they prorata replacement warranties or a straight swap?

If Ford don't fit them standard an AGM battery would be worth the extra $ for any vehicle with stop/ start. I found one place in Australia that sells NorthStar batteries (AGM) with a 5 year consumer warranty, but they probably cost well over twice the price of a cheaper battery that has a 3yr battery! :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Are they prorata replacement warranties or a straight swap?

If Ford don't fit them standard an AGM battery would be worth the extra $ for any vehicle with stop/ start. I found one place in Australia that sells NorthStar batteries (AGM) with a 5 year consumer warranty, but they probably cost well over twice the price of a cheaper battery that has a 3yr battery! :D
One of the UK members said it was pro rata but it doesn't say that under their T & C's on their website. Here is what it says:

• If the battery's found to be faulty, we'll happily replace it for you.

They could turn round and say its the vehicle charging system at fault to try and wriggle out of a claim but knowing the company as I do I wouldn't expect that to happen. They probably gamble on the fact that very few people will have a car for 5 years after they put a battery on it and doubt many owners would keep the receipt in the car and make sure it goes with it when selling their car on to a dealer.

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
2019 Ford Escape SE Lightning Blue 4WD
9 Posts
I just finished setting the Auto Stop Start feature to off permanently on my 2017 FE SE by using a small jumper on the back of the Auto Stop Start OFF/ON switch.

After removing the trim on both sides of the dash that encapsulates the air conditioning controls and stop/start switch module, I used a torx #20 screwdriver and removed two screws that hold the module to the dash.

That enabled me to pull the module out away from the dash far enough to disconnect the wire harness connector from the back of the STOP/START push button switch.

By jumpering the black/white wire and the purple/black wire together the Auto Stop/Start push button disable switch will
always show disabled.

The whole procedure only took about 15 minutes to accomplish. All I have to do is pull the jumper if I want the Stop Start feature to be active again.

Now I don't have to keep remembering to push the Stop Start button everything I start the car up.

No codes were found on the ODB 2 scanner after the work was completed.
Just in case anyone else finds this in the future, this does not work on the 2019 Escape model, at least on my SE I just got. I tried it and it would work for one start/off engine cycle. It looks like Ford figured out people were doing this. Even just holding the Autostart/stop off button on engine start only works once now. It can tell when the button is being held.

I'll continue my journey into disabling this on start without spending 100 bucks on a silly ODB plug.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just in case anyone else finds this in the future, this does not work on the 2019 Escape model, at least on my SE I just got. I tried it and it would work for one start/off engine cycle. It looks like Ford figured out people were doing this. Even just holding the Autostart/stop off button on engine start only works once now. It can tell when the button is being held.

I'll continue my journey into disabling this on start without spending 100 bucks on a silly ODB plug.
The best and not so silly OBD plugs are a lot less and could save you a lot more than their cost if you run into another problem. Anyone who doesn't want to put their car in the shop should have one of these as part of their toolkit.

Assuming of course I have read your post right.

Budget

Better

·
Registered
2019 Ford Escape SE Lightning Blue 4WD
9 Posts
The best and not so silly OBD plugs are a lot less and could save you a lot more than their cost if you run into another problem. Anyone who doesn't want to put their car in the shop should have one of these as part of their toolkit.

Assuming of course I have read your post right.

Budget

Better

Sorry I specifically mean this thing, as in spending 100 just to disable auto stop and start:

I actually do have a diagnostic device in my odb2.

281 - 300 of 317 Posts