2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry I specifically mean this thing, as in spending 100 just to disable auto stop and start:

I actually do have a diagnostic device in my odb2.
Haha, no need to apologise. I wouldn't want to pay $100 for one of those silly OBD things either. At least my links may be useful for anyone who wants a decent OBD tool. I wouldn't buy anything but the OHP one or Proscan in a modded ELM327 for programming, and the OBDLink EX is the tool recommended by Forscan for their software. I know some have the bluetooth OBDLink MX which has excellent reviews but is twice the price.

It is possible to disable stop start with Forscan. Not sure how as mine has a mind of it's own and as mine is a diesel with dpf it's handy having the S/S feature because if I stop and the S/S doesn't kick in it makes me check my instant mpg which tells me if it's regenerating the dpf or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why all the hate? Is there something I should be worried about with it?
stop start tecnology is great ,just be prepared to change out battery after 4 yrs ,if your battery doesent hold enough charge it just quits working just reverts to standard idling .

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
And your starter...
Do you know for sure this will fail sooner than an Escape without Start/Stop? Or is this just your guess? The Escapes, that have start/stop, have a heavier duty starter than those without. Unless you can provide actual facts that this will wear out quicker, then not sure why you post it will wear out quicker. If you can provide actual facts that they do wear out quicker, then I stand corrected.

·
Registered
706 Posts
stop start tecnology is great ,just be prepared to change out battery after 4 yrs ,if your battery doesent hold enough charge it just quits working just reverts to standard idling .
This actually is happening to me right now I think...

a few months ago the car did something weird, twice it turned off on me while just running the radio and the car not actually being on (ACC mode) and gave me warning that it did that to conserve battery (or something like that, can't quite remember now). Usually the ACC mode can run for 10 minutes after turning off the engine (what I was doing to eat my food in the parking lot during stricter Covid restrictions) but it just turned off and gave me that message like 3 to 5 minutes in. I'm not sure if I've tried that again for longer periods but it hasn't happened again, might try it out one more time to see if it's still doing it.

Just the other day I noticed that my vehicle has not done the auto start/stop in a long time. I'm pretty sure the amount of time coincides with the time I was getting that message and the ACC mode turning off or shortly before so what you mentioned about reverting to standard idling is accurate.

Also, when it gave me that message all of the settings (bluetooth connected phone, radio stations, navigation preferences, etc.) reset themselves to factory default.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Do you know for sure this will fail sooner than an Escape without Start/Stop? Or is this just your guess? The Escapes, that have start/stop, have a heavier duty starter than those without. Unless you can provide actual facts that this will wear out quicker, then not sure why you post it will wear out quicker. If you can provide actual facts that they do wear out quicker, then I stand corrected.
The simple answer is no...all research indicates that car batteries and starters in stop/start vehicles are heavy duty as you suggest and in some cases last longer than these components in non stop/start vehicles.
The assumption that they do not last as long is a common misconception/guess.
This is one of many articles on how they operate:-
What kills a battery is many days not using the car or many short trips that do not keep the battery fully charged and nothing to do with stop/start as today's batteries thrive on restarting many times when the engine is hot.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Administrator
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
The simple answer is no...all research indicates that car batteries and starters in stop/start vehicles are heavy duty as you suggest and in some cases last longer than these components in non stop/start vehicles.
The assumption that they do not last as long is a common misconception/guess.
My thoughts exactly

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any starter, heavy duty or not, only has a certain number of starts before it fails. Glad to hear heavy duty starters are used.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Any starter, heavy duty or not, only has a certain number of starts before it fails.
True, but heavy duty starters last much longer than normal starters otherwise there is no point in using them.
In any case there is minimal use of the starter with stop/start technology.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,173 Posts
Going by a lot of posts on here you won't have to worry about the stop start wearing your starter out. (Because the battery doesn't seem to handle the high load of S/S combined with the battery charging being limited by the "smart alternator"/ BMS! :D )

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Going by a lot of posts on here you won't have to worry about the stop start wearing your starter out. (Because the battery doesn't seem to handle the high load of S/S combined with the battery charging being limited by the "smart alternator"/ BMS! :D )
Yep...briefly, when you stop and the engine cuts out it manages to stop in the optimal position for an instant restart (TDC). The starter does very little work to restart the engine under these circumstances.
In my case when I have S/S enabled usually all I hear is a slight 'chirp' from the starter when releasing the brake and often I hear nothing at all when it restarts.
There is little or no extra wear on engine components including the battery and starter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"Several years ago, Mazda's Robert Davis suggested that the advantage might amount to 0.1 mpg on the EPA city cycle, an improvement that could be achieved at less cost using different technologies."

This is why I've not cared for S/S. If I gained 1 mpg it might be worth it, but not for only .1 mpg.

·
Administrator
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
"Several years ago, Mazda's Robert Davis suggested that the advantage might amount to 0.1 mpg on the EPA city cycle, an improvement that could be achieved at less cost using different technologies."

This is why I've not cared for S/S. If I gained 1 mpg it might be worth it, but not for only .1 mpg.
As was mentioned previously in this thread. It isn’t all about the fuel savings. Doesn’t anyone think about the savings in pollution from using this feature? If there are millions of vehicles on the road and if they all had this feature. There would be a lot less pollution from idling vehicles when stopped.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

Yes...I have tested mpg many times over the same route and same weather conditions, similar traffic etc. with S/S on and with it off and I have found very little difference in gas consumption according to the digital readout. I know that is not accurate but would be consistant as I reset it before each run.
These start/stop systems came out many years ago and initially were a sales gimmick in my view and now most car manufacturers seem to think they have to follow suit to compete.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes...I have tested mpg many times over the same route and same weather conditions, similar traffic etc. with S/S on and with it off and I have found very little difference in gas consumption according to the digital readout. I know that is not accurate but would be consistant as I reset it before each run.
These start/stop systems came out many years ago and initially were a sales gimmick in my view and now most car manufacturers seem to think they have to follow suit to compete.
It's still a gimmick in my opinion or certainly it would appear that way on my Kuga. It ticks a box for the environmentalists. We also own a Vauxhall Mokka which seems to work a lot more efficiently than my Kuga. Perhaps it has less criteria to make the stop/start work compared to Ford.

The concept of the stop start system should be that the engine stops when you do. More often than not it doesn't as the battery is getting older. It's maybe fine for people who drive their cars in traffic every day but I don't and on mine some days it will work and others it won't. In fact within the same journey it may work once or twice or not all all or all the time. There is no consistency. The Mokka however just works.

Personally I don't let it bother me whether it works or not but one thing is for sure. Stop start starter motors, alternators and batteries are more expensive so that is not good for the consumer and as for longevity, our AGM battery on the Mokka failed at less than 4 years old. The cost was about 70% more than a standard lead acid battery. My Kuga had a replacement EFB battery within it's warranty period so within the first 3 years. My lead acid battery on my Mazda 6 was 9 years old when I replaced it. People are changing their stop start batteries because their stop start isn't working, so in effect replacing a perfectly good battery before time. That is not good for the environment either.

In an ever expanding world the way forward at reducing pollution is not a flawed stop start system on a car. In the UK we are supposed to be introducing a ban on all new petrol and diesel engined cars from 2030. That's not too far away to be going all electric so hopefully the manufacturers have some new technology up their sleeves that we don't know about yet.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The stop/start system may even stop working with a new battery if you don't keep it charged because of not driving for days or driving only short trips. Other technology can also fail under these circumstances, not just S/S. If people are replacing their battery because S/S is no longer working they obviously have no idea what is required of the battery and waste their money renewing it as suggested here. My battery is fine after 4 years and I rarely have a problem with S/S (when it is on) and I use the car probably every second day on a reasonably long journey. 😉

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
193 Posts
The stop/start system may even stop working with a new battery if you don't keep it charged because of not driving for days or driving only short trips. Other technology can also fail under these circumstances, not just S/S. If people are replacing their battery because S/S is no longer working they obviously have no idea what is required of the battery and waste their money renewing it as suggested here. My battery is fine after 4 years and I rarely have a problem with S/S (when it is on) and I use the car probably every second day on a reasonably long journey. 😉
I think you hit the point about regular use. Mine is very hit and miss but worked mainly through the winter as I was using the car nearly every day. Not so much now and it doesn't work. Another issue for an old school driver like me is that we were taught to wait at traffic lights etc with the car in gear, handbrake on and to be ready to move with the traffic.

Reactions: wiz043
301 - 317 of 317 Posts