2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got into my car yesterday after work and I got an error pop up on my trip computer screen, Steering Assist Fault Service Required, then it went away after about 5 seconds. The car still drives normally. Has anyone else gotten this error?

Attachments

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's crazy!! That warning going away on my car after like 5 seconds and it doesn't feel like the power steering has gone out. And I don't get the warning every time I start the car just some times.

· Registered
17 Posts
with electric steering there is a mechanical connection if the power goes out so you will not lose steering only the power portion. I assume it is throughing a code so take it to the dealer and have it checked out. It should be safe to drive to the dealer probably a bad module or short somewhere hth

· Registered
270 Posts
The car is still drivable the but the steering wheel will be a lot heavier. There should be Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) in the computer for the technician to look at.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
So I got into my car yesterday after work and I got an error pop up on my trip computer screen, Steering Assist Fault Service Required, then it went away after about 5 seconds. The car still drives normally. Has anyone else gotten this error?
deej0401,

I want to take a look at this and see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll do so.

Ashley

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
deej0401,

I want to take a look at this and see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll do so.

Ashley
I have sent you a PM.

· Registered
1 Posts
Steering assist fault and lose power steering

In the past 2 months I have had the steering assist fault error message happen and then I lose power steering. I'm still able to move the steering wheel, but it takes alot of muscle to turn it. If I turn off the vehicle and then turn it back on everything goes back to normal again. I took it to the dealer the first time it happended and they were unable to reproduce the problem so they gave me my vehicle back. Last week it happened a second time and now it is at the dealer again. I sure hope they are able to figure out what is causing it, because right now I'm not to happy about driving it and never knowing when it will happen again.

· Registered
217 Posts
BCM 5681 – 2013 Escape – Message Center – “Steering
Assist Fault Service Required” – False Message
Some 203 Escape may temporarily display the message
“Steering Assist Fault Service Required” (approximately 1-2
seconds before disappearing ) in the cluster on initial startup with no corresponding loss of assist or steering DTCS.
This temporary fault message occurs due to a communication/ timing issue between the steering and cluster
modules when the vehicle is driven. If this message is seen in transport mode, put it in customer mode and check
to see if the message still appears. If the message still occurs, check for DTCS. If DTCS are present, refer to the
appropriate Workshop Manual diagnostics. If there are no DTCS and the steering gear has assist, do not replace or
service the steering gear or cluster. No further action is required, please continue to monitor OASIS

Reactions: mrbeankc

· Registered
2 Posts
Power steering failure

Has anyone out there lost the power steering on their 2013 2.0ltr se escape? Lost mine coming back from vacation and was laid up for three days in a motel. No loner was given to me and had to pay out extra cash for room. Called ford customer service and was told that there was nothing they could do for me as far as reimbursing me for the three day stay at motel which was for sure unexpected. Not a happy camper with ford at this time!!!

· Premium Member
5,042 Posts
Has anyone out there lost the power steering on their 2013 2.0ltr se escape? Lost mine coming back from vacation and was laid up for three days in a motel. No loner was given to me and had to pay out extra cash for room. Called ford customer service and was told that there was nothing they could do for me as far as reimbursing me for the three day stay at motel which was for sure unexpected. Not a happy camper with ford at this time!!!
Did you get any indicator's of loss of steering, what was the end result (what went wrong)?

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Welcome to the community, LITTLE JOHN! :)

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. Is your Escape still at the dealer, and what’s the mileage?

Tricia

· Registered
20 Posts
Steering Assist Fault Service Required

I have had that happen also. Somewhere I read it was a known issue and it was happening on the Escapes with Active park assist.:wheels:

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I have had that happen also. Somewhere I read it was a known issue and it was happening on the Escapes with Active park assist.:wheels:
kwd57,

Is your Escape still experiencing this symptom? If so, which model year is your vehicle, and what’s the mileage?

Tricia

1 - 20 of 59 Posts