2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to use the Mode button on the steering wheel to select previous audio sources? For example, if the audio is on Sirius 2 and I want to go to Sirius 1, I have to hit the Mode button about 9 times and go through all the audio sources to get to Sirius 1. Is there a button I can hit before or with the Mode button to make it choose the audio sources in reverse order? Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Only way i've found to go backwards is to take your eyes from the road and give all your attention to the "my touch screen" and adjust the tuning from there. That My Touch Screen is such a great feature to use at 70MPH Thank goodness common sense won out and ther's still knobs and buttons to use by your sense of feel

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,339 Posts
or use the voice control
I've had my FE almost a year and I'm just now starting to really learn and use voice control. Talking to my car hasn't come easy for this olde-skooler, but now I'm realizing how truly useful it is.

previous experience talking to cars was limited to cursing when I split a knuckle working on them ;-)

·
Registered
79 Posts
has anyone ever swapped the buttons or wires from left to right and right to left on the steering wheel?
or even thought of doing this?
cause I find myself using the dash controls rather then the ones on the controls on the right of the wheel, if they were reversed I'd be using them on the wheel instead of the dash.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,339 Posts
has anyone ever swapped the buttons or wires from left to right and right to left on the steering wheel?....
Never considered it myself but FYI ...

The wiring diagrams show the L & R upper steering wheel switches have different resistor levels in the internal arrays that send the canbus signals, so it looks to me like swapping the wires between the switches and the clockspring* won't reverse what they do (it'd probably cause a system crash). You would probably have to move the switches from side-to-side while keeping their external wire connections intact (extending them a bit to reach the new location).

No idea of that's physically possible (i.e. not sure if the mechanical bits are L-R interchangeable).

* Armando knows but for those that don't ... "clockspring" (because that's what it looks like) is the term for the gizmo that carries electrical circuits from a turning steering wheel to the fixed steering column; "clockspring" has been around since they started putting horn buttons on steering wheels long ago ;-)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never considered it myself but FYI ...

The wiring diagrams show the L & R upper steering wheel switches have different resistor levels in the internal arrays that send the canbus signals, so it looks to me like swapping the wires between the switches and the clockspring* won't reverse what they do (it'd probably cause a system crash). You would probably have to move the switches from side-to-side while keeping their external wire connections intact (extending them a bit to reach the new location).

No idea of that's physically possible (i.e. not sure if the mechanical bits are L-R interchangeable).

* Armando knows but for those that don't ... "clockspring" (because that's what it looks like) is the term for the gizmo that carries electrical circuits from a turning steering wheel to the fixed steering column; "clockspring" has been around since they started putting horn buttons on steering wheels long ago ;-)
haven't seen a clock spring in years, I stopped taking stuff apart like I use to in the late 80s to early 90s

·
Registered
79 Posts
So with the 2015 did Ford take away the mode button on the steering wheel to force drivers to use MFT?
by mode do you mean the source?

·
Registered
79 Posts
yes I mean source...like to switch to FM, AM, USB, etc
sorry I'm still discovering my FE, I've only had my 14 about a month and has around 550 miles on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
sorry I'm still discovering my FE, I've only had my 14 about a month and has around 550 miles on it.
I generally only do about 3k to 5k miles a year.
My wife is the same with her VW, I drive that mini van when we take long trips as far as LA and Orlando and we still have low miles on that van, last time I checked it was still in the high 20k's, we got it with about 18k and half a little over 12 ago, my point is that I don't spend too much time in the FE.

·
Registered
982 Posts
So with the 2015 did Ford take away the mode button on the steering wheel to force drivers to use MFT?

On the 2015's, the voice control button, Home and Information buttons are integrated with the right hat steering wheel control. That control retains all its previous function as well. For me, I preferred the three controls where they were and I do not care for controls that 'try' to do multiple functions. Changing stations (not presets) with the right hat control has always been crappy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
On the 2015's, the voice control button, Home and Information buttons are integrated with the right hat steering wheel control. That control retains all its previous function as well. For me, I preferred the three controls where they were and I do not care for controls that 'try' to do multiple functions. Changing stations (not presets) with the right hat control has always been crappy.
we can swap if u like lol, I don't even use those, cause like them on the left not right.

Reactions: td2013

·
Registered
11 Posts
so how do you tell that one button to be a voice control vs home vs info?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts