2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

A buddy of mine with a Focus ST is upgrading his intercooler in a few days. Seeing as how he has no need for the old parts, we are going to try and see if his stock ST intercooler (and hopefully tubing) will fit the Escape. He will just give it to me for free. A few questions:

Our Escapes have a TMIC, correct? His stock FMIC should be better all around if that is the case. Would you predict that it works TOO well and need a tune to account for much lower inlet temps?

He is a few hours away so whenever he takes his next trip to visit, he will bring the old parts. It won't happen this weekend or the next, but I will update the thread with my findings when it does. Just trying to get some feedback, maybe from the guys who did the CX intercooler on the Escape?

Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
The escape does not use a TMIC it is a FMIC and I would be shocked if the size is any different as long as you have the 2.0 Ecoboost. The powerplants are basically the same with most of the difference being in the tuning of the two different vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
According to parts# the intercooler on the Ford Focus ST and the Escape are exactly the same. In other words the Escape does have the same FMIC from factory as the Focus ST (as long as you have the 2.0 Escboost in your Escape).

I have the CX Inercooler on my car and I love it. The pieces are quality and fit very well. The hardest thing is setting up the mounting points from the mounting gear that CX gives you. What I did was square up the intercooler core with the front of the Escape and then welded two mounting brackets on each side of the core and screwed on the core using the screw points on the core itself. Easy and it holds well without any other bracket points being added. Not to mention it lined up PERFECTLY with the plastic air flow vent that leads to the intercooler. I would also suggest checking all your piping to see if they're connect well and the fittings between the pipes are holding well. A couple of guys on here had their pipes blow off due to the fittings not being fastened on properly or well. I would suggest the CX intercooler to anyone.

Picture of how I did the mounting point for the brackets.

PPicture of the plastic vent directing to the intercooler

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome awesome guys!! Thanks a bunch! Excellent write-up and pics! I'll make sure to tell him to leave his old parts at home :) Not sure where I read that the 2.0 had a TMIC? Oh well, you guys would know.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
One thing I notice about the CX Racing intercooler mounting bracket is that if you use the bolt holes that is under neath the frame, where the bumper cover is bolted to, you're gonna have a pretty dang hard time putting the bumper cover back on. It's almost worth the few hundred dollars to get a cheapo mig welder and weld the brackets on like Hitokiri did.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
One thing I notice about the CX Racing intercooler mounting bracket is that if you use the bolt holes that is under neath the frame, where the bumper cover is bolted to, you're gonna have a pretty dang hard time putting the bumper cover back on. It's almost worth the few hundred dollars to get a cheapo mig welder and weld the brackets on like Hitokiri did.
You can do that or else ask a shop to just weld them on for you for a price. I was lucky enough that I had a friend that had a well equipped shop. I'm sure there are shops that well do it mostly if you go to the shop with the bumper off. It'll take literally no longer then 15 mins measuring things out, squaring it out, and welding the brackets on.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Or you could use a nutzert that way you could remove the bracket for easier service in the future, if needed.
Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
When looking up the part number for our intercooler (2017 Escape 2.0L) I get EJ7Z-6K775-A. The number for the FST is CV6Z-6K775-A. In photos the FST has 10 rows and the FE has 8. The 2013 to 2016 do have the same part number as FST, but it would seem the 2017-19 doesn't. I am investigating further.

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
The 2017 on is the twin scroll turbo EcoBoost and supposed to be a totally new engine; plus you've got the bodywork front end changes. So it wouldn't be surprising of there is also a different intercooler. PS: Have you cross checked late model Focus ST's- I'm not sure when the engine was updated in them?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am not surprised there was a different intercooler either. My observation was the 8 row vs 10 row. I will see if the core is thicker to compensate. Given I can buy one from the Ford dealer for $98 CDN my cost, it would be a cheap upgrade if it were indeed made smaller for '17. Not sure if there was a running change on the FST

·
Registered
15 Posts
In the above photo, you can see the '17-up intercooler on the left beside the '13-'16 type on the right. I was mistaken, they both have 10 passes, but the early version has a row of fins outside the cores and the fins are more densely packed....around twice as dense. The bummer is the mounting "ears" are in different locations so it wouldn't be a drop in. I could uncrimp the end tanks and swap them as there is a rubber seal in there, but not sure its worth it. Oh well, just passing along some random info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts